You are here

Headrush v Eleven Rack v Line 6 Helix LT

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Headrush v Eleven Rack v Line 6 Helix LT

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Axeheads

Nearly picked up a secondhand Eleven Rack hardware unit but decided against it (I'm not a Pro Tools user) after reading some negative user feedback. I've been using Ampire native plug-in in Studio One Pro and NI Guitar Rig 5 but feel I should be using a more responsive alternative to these. I still occasionally record with my Pod XT (yeah, I know it's old...).

I like the look of the Helix LT launched at Musikmesse last week, but wondered if anyone here owns or has done a serious play/test of the Headrush pedalboard unit? It appears to be designed by the Eleven Rack team -- is it similar quality modelling but with better quality convertors, or is the amp/cab modelling a noticeable improvement on the Avid Eleven Rack given Headrush uses quad core processors?

I'm mainly looking to use it for recording. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Sound Advice tips: www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: Headrush v Eleven Rack v Line 6 Helix LT

Postby CS70 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:29 pm

I've used the eleven rack for now three years to make demos and I've never touched ProTools. I actually bought used without the PT license and never looked back.

There is only one limitation without PT (and it is a software one): direct monitoring cannot be disabled from others DAW.

As of sound, nobody can distinguish any of these modern boxes from a regular processed guitar signal just by listening (well, perhaps, there's not as much noise :)).

When it comes to playability, all these boxes dont feel exactly like the tube amp you are used to - because they ain't. :-D It's most noticeable with clean sounds - distorted stuff is much compressed even by a real amp so not really much feel there (the classic distortion + delay which can makes anybody feel like Steve Vai :-) )

As an interface is not the most stable (on Windows at least), but as a guitar box is very hard to beat - especially for the price it goes these days. I use a proper interface and the 11r is connected via S/PDIF. The only minus is that's a digital device - before or later, it will stop working and it'll be hard/impossible to repair. Same goes with the others.

Don't know what you've heard/read, but you should really give it a try yourself.
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am

CS70 wrote:When it comes to playability, all these boxes dont feel exactly like the tube amp you are used to

Just tried the latest version of the Kemper and I have to retract. Couldn't feel any difference between the amp and the profiled sound going thru the same cab.
CS70
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks for your feedback CS70.

I've heard great things about the Kemper and watched loads of YT videos of it, too. It's probably too pricey for my needs... mind you, so is the Headrush unit. There's pros and cons to them all.

Not in any rush.
Forum Admin

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm

The Kemper is, without doubt, my best ever guitar related purchase - ever.

I've been using it for home recording for a while but I recently started using it live and so I've bought the foot controller which was pricey, but worth it (I also find it useful when working on tracks in the studio as you can have a selection of rigs at your disposal whilst trying stuff).

Caveat - although I've owned several valve amps over the years non of them were 'boutique'. I don't miss the feel of them.

I've treated myself to a few packs from The Amp Factory. Last week I got a free intro pack from Michael Britt which, whilst not as flashy as those from the Amp Factory, are very usable. In fact I have too much choice so I'm trying to organise my library around a small number of favourites.

The real icing on the cake was when I discovered that I could;

a) Load acoustic simulations (Variax went up for sale shortly after)
b) Morph between settings using an expression pedal
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby A Mole » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:18 pm

There was a similar thread a little while ago, which the Kemper soundly won. I still haven't heard one, but I am not going to challenge its superiority.

That said, I have owned 11R for 5 yr plus and still find it incredibly useful. As others have said, they go fairly cheap now and have the tremendous advantage of working perfectly well without software. I have mine hooked up by spdif to my audio interface and in that config it should last for many years yet. It is very well constructed.

I have used the roland/korg/line 6 modellers and the 11R is way better IMO. Not as good as something costing 5x the price perhaps but very good nonetheless. (And better than my guitar playing deserves to be sure!!)
A Mole
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Bought a s/h Eleven Rack. First impressions with firmware 2.0, it's extremely noisy -- background constant noise on headphones on all patches. Will try in studio this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forum Admin

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 am

Forum Admin wrote:Bought a s/h Eleven Rack. First impressions with firmware 2.0, it's extremely noisy -- background constant noise on headphones on all patches. Will try in studio this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it back! It's faulty. A few early units had that problem - something with a jack or component not grounded or something like that. You find info on the internet. It's possible to fix but as you just bought it you could legitimately complain.

Mine has zero noise - unless you use a patch with heavy distortion of course, then it emulates the amp noise.
CS70
Frequent Poster

Postby A Mole » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:49 am

Forum Admin wrote:it's extremely noisy

It may be faulty as said, but before you give up pls try one thing - check the volume knob (the one next to the power switch, not the amp model volume) is all the way up. This controls the signal level on all the analog outs, and it solved the noise issue for me.

Also worth checking if the digi output is noisy - I think that would certainly indicate a fault.
A Mole
Regular

Re: faulty Eleven Rack

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:50 am

I rarely buy off eBay as the two or three things I've previously bought have all had problems or stopped working months later (beware dodgy USB hubs from alleged UK sellers who ship item from China)...

Reading the Avid forum, my unit exhibits similar problems to 2012 faulty models. I haven't had chance to try it feeding via S/PDIF into my audio interface (not planning on using 11R's built-in interface, nor Pro Tools), or analogue Main Outs -- it's just been headphones so far. Had no sound whatsoever using Beyer DT770 Pro 250 Ohm cans... other than background (loud) hum/noise.

It's probably me not knowing how to use the rigs correctly, but I'll persevere this weekend in my studio with different guitars, cables, setups etc and if no joy, try to get money back via eBay guarantee (?).
Forum Admin

Re: faulty Eleven Rack

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Forum Admin wrote:I rarely buy off eBay as the two or three things I've previously bought have all had problems or stopped working months later (beware dodgy USB hubs from alleged UK sellers who ship item from China)...

Reading the Avid forum, my unit exhibits similar problems to 2012 faulty models. I haven't had chance to try it feeding via S/PDIF into my audio interface (not planning on using 11R's built-in interface, nor Pro Tools), or analogue Main Outs -- it's just been headphones so far. Had no sound whatsoever using Beyer DT770 Pro 250 Ohm cans... other than background (loud) hum/noise.

It's probably me not knowing how to use the rigs correctly, but I'll persevere this weekend in my studio with different guitars, cables, setups etc and if no joy, try to get money back via eBay guarantee (?).

Just to start checking things, if your home interface has S/PDIF, you could try the 11 S/PDIF output and monitor from the interface. If the signal is clean, then it can be the headphones amp (or jack) that's the issue. I seldom use the rack's headphone out these days but did it for a year and had no noise to speak of (Beyer D990 Pro)
CS70
Frequent Poster