You are here

Echo/Delay/Reverb pedals?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Echo/Delay/Reverb pedals?

Postby IvanSC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:13 pm

I have been asked to join a group of other old fogies playing lead guitar on old fifties and sixties rock and roll music.
They are quite specific that I have to have echo reverb and or delay in order th BE Hank and Cliff Gallup and Scotty Moore.
Bad news is my elderly Vestafire echo pedal managed to beautiful slap back echoes at the rehearsal... and then it died. Still lights up, still passes guitar signal in both switch positions but no sign of any dread.
So I am now in need of a pedal that will do multi repeat echoes somewhat like a Watkins Copycat or a binson but also slap back and all the other stuff, ideally PLUS a reverb.

So I started looking at what a Boss RE20 costs these days and they are now more used than they were new last time I looked!!

Any suggestions from those of you doing this sort of music that wont cost cubic money? I thought about a Danelectro FAB for slapback echo, but how do thing like the Behringer EM600 stack up?
IvanSC
Frequent Poster
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Re: Echo/Delay/Reverb pedals?

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:47 pm

IvanSC wrote:I have been asked to join a group of other old fogies playing lead guitar on old fifties and sixties rock and roll music.
They are quite specific that I have to have echo reverb and or delay in order th BE Hank and Cliff Gallup and Scotty Moore.
Bad news is my elderly Vestafire echo pedal managed to beautiful slap back echoes at the rehearsal... and then it died. Still lights up, still passes guitar signal in both switch positions but no sign of any dread.
So I am now in need of a pedal that will do multi repeat echoes somewhat like a Watkins Copycat or a binson but also slap back and all the other stuff, ideally PLUS a reverb.

So I started looking at what a Boss RE20 costs these days and they are now more used than they were new last time I looked!!

Any suggestions from those of you doing this sort of music that wont cost cubic money? I thought about a Danelectro FAB for slapback echo, but how do thing like the Behringer EM600 stack up?

Never tried the behringer, but a tape echo modeling pedal like the Visual Sound H2O or Catalinabread Belle Epoch (I have the former) could get you in the ballpark. Even the Carbon Copy would do in a pinch - basically anything which is *not* a "keep the repeats as perfect as possible" digital delay.
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:57 pm

I am also a user of the Visual Sound H2O, independent chorus and delay effects housed in a single pedal with individual footswitches. Very useful and a lovely sounding pedal.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
I've always been a fine figure of a man. 25 years ago it was measured by quality, now it is measured in quantity.

Postby resistorman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:04 pm

I have another version of a zoom pedal and it sounds very good. Have a look at this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS70CDR
resistorman
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Do you need a tap tempo facility?

Does it need to run on batteries or have you got (or will get) a power supply for it?

For a decent quality sound on a budget, I'd suggest looking at Andertons and the Tone City Tape Machine https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/TAPEMACHI ... wer-supply
and the Tone City Tiny Spring
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/TINYSPRIN ... verb-pedal

Under £100 for both and you get a 1000mA Stagg PSU and 5-way daisy-chain power lead thrown in because you are buying two pedals

No tap tempo on the delay so you'd have to remember to adjust the delay time knob to suit, but I'm sure you can mark some suitable settings around the outside with a Sharpie.

I've got a few of the Tone City pedals and they are good value for money.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby mashedmitten » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:20 pm

I've got a Boss GT-8 that does everything.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby BillB » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi, I have a Behringer EM600 and it sounds pretty good in the tape/analog modes, which can be applied to any of the 'modes' eg ping-pong, slap, tap. The knobs are a bit small, but if you just want to set up the parameters and leave it, that's fine. I did notice some strange (aliasing?) noises when i shoved a synth through it, but for guitar it seems to work fine.

SOS review (more of a mention) here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/beh ... ox-effects

and manual here, if you want to consider its capabilities
http://cdns3.gear4music.com/media/25/25 ... 252820.pdf

If I were looking for one "stompbox" for live work (moving well beyond echo/reverb), I would probably go along with Mashedmitten's suggestion, my personal favourite (for cost/knobbiness) is the Boss ME-50, which can be found for under £100 (sometimes £50-60) second-hand.

But also... :headbang: those newest Zoom stompboxes (MS##) look/sound good, from what I have seen online. Happy hunting!
BillB
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 pm

I have several delays, the best VFM is a Dr Tone 'Analogue Delay' (which is, while sounding distinctly analogue, actually digital). If you need bells and whistles you can't go far wrong with one of the TC Flashback range, digital but with excellent modelling of tape and BB delays.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have several delays, the best VFM is a Dr Tone 'Analogue Delay' (which is, while sounding distinctly analogue, actually digital). If you need bells and whistles you can't go far wrong with one of the TC Flashback range, digital but with excellent modelling of tape and BB delays.

Actually you just reminded me of the Belcat delay (and various rebrands, I had the Hofner one for a period) - a fantastic little analog delay.. only it's digital. :) ) And being produced in China, costs next to nothing.

I actually prefer it to the Carbon Copy I currently use.

There's several on ebay right now, the cheapest is 25 pounds.

Only reason I stopped using it is because - cheap is cheap - the 9V input socket got broken after a year or so of sessions and gigs and I have so many delay pedals which I really couldn't justify the effort of getting another one or fixing it/having it fixed. Little Chinese wonder, that one.
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:22 am

I have a TC Flashback delay and whilst the sounds are OK, the 'strum tempo' feature is pants and takes ages to use.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby mick.n » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am

mashedmitten wrote:I've got a Boss GT-8 that does everything.

I've got a Boss GT100 that does everything also.......still in storage though (under the bed) as not had time to play around with it ;)

The best ever echo for that i had for guitar was an old valve Watkins copycat........decide to catch fire though back in 1981. ;)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:50 pm

i use echo park from line 6..does everything delay ..ive had boss ones..i hated them...sounds plastic and fake.also i never seem to get the delay i want from a boss...its always just about right but not quite.the biggest dissapointment was the space echo from boss...horrid uncontrollable thing

the line 6 seems to have a vibe about it..i also have the line 6 dl 4 which i love..
paul tha other
Regular
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:50 pm

I really like the strymon DECO for short delays and all sorts of great tape modulation effects. For longer delays, the BOSS RE-200; basically, Space Echo in a can with tap tempo. :)
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:41 pm

If you want it CHEAP (and good so far)
http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201410178952.html

I've had it for a month now and I really feel like I've saved a couple of hundreds :bouncy: it does what the others do, for £100
ore_terra
Regular
We are The Petra Flowers - Facebook - Youtube - Bandcamp

Postby 4TrackMadman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:59 pm

I have two pedals that just accumulated thru the years, Boss DD-3 and a Modtone MT-AD, DD3 does the digital and MT-AD the analog end of it. I rather like the MT-AD for the price and use it for 70s inspired echo lead tones (think Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen).

http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/Gear ... MT-AD.html

A friend let me borrow the Line6 DD4 and I liked it a lot for what it is, can be had used for a decent price.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Postby IvanSC » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the input chaps - I went ahead and bought the EC600 & it does the job OK.
Plus I only paid £30 for it, brand new.

If the love hate ratio goes the wrong way I plan on giving the Mooer a spin, though.

I heard a chap using the original echo pedal and that was pretty good, so logically the pro version should be more er Pro?

And for the rest of you, I suppose I should have made it even clearer that the £150 I had seen the RE20s going for a while back was more than I waned to pay, which knocked most of the suggestions out of contention.
If I was a rich man like Wonks, I would have bought a RE20 AND a Catlinbread Echorec....

:mrgreen:
IvanSC
Frequent Poster
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Dave B » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm

... and another amp ... and another guitar .... and some tools .... and a new soldering iron .... and some varnish .... and a fume hood .... and another amp .... and another guitar .....
:bouncy:
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Folderol » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Dave B wrote:... and another amp ... and another guitar .... and some tools .... and a new soldering iron .... and some varnish .... and a fume hood .... and another amp .... and another guitar .....
:bouncy:
Recursive GAS? :o
Folderol
Jedi Poster
You know, and I know, but they don't know... So keep your mouth shut!

Postby Dave B » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 am

The 'Wonks Grand Master Jedi level of GAS' ... :bouncy:
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ore_terra » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:30 am

IvanSC wrote:If the love hate ratio goes the wrong way I plan on giving the Mooer a spin, though.

I heard a chap using the original echo pedal and that was pretty good, so logically the pro version should be more er Pro?:
Havent tried the other one myself. All I can say is that it sounds good. Tap tempo works fine, looper works fine... only thing I found a bit tricky to adjust the wet and dry volumes to get the desired mix, but this is because I'm a lazy bastard and if a pedal has more than 3 knobs it's rocket science to me :headbang:
ore_terra
Regular
We are The Petra Flowers - Facebook - Youtube - Bandcamp

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

pants? Is pants?
Ok not being raised in the UK I must ask - what the heck does that mean? Good or bad?

Canadian English is not as all encompassing as we are lead to believe . . . . . . . :ugeek:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:pants? Is pants?
Ok not being raised in the UK I must ask - what the heck does that mean? Good or bad?

Canadian English is not as all encompassing as we are lead to believe . . . . . . . :ugeek:

'pants' is largely synonymous with 'rubbish' :D

So it's a bad thing ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:23 pm

'Bollocks' is also rubbish, unless it's 'the dog's bollocks' in which case it's good. Or 'sick' as the kids say. Unless they're trying to get off school, in which case they say they're 'sick'.
;)
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Late entrant, but two pedals I lust after, neither of which I have any reason to buy, are the new Keeley Abbey Road chamber reverb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CkEXTOcNCgand the Wampler Ethereal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvEmAXlJceg
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster
Freedom of speech means freedom to offend