You are here

Anyone know anything about old HH badged guitar speakers?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Anyone know anything about old HH badged guitar speakers?

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Just a matter of interest, but does anyone know if HH made their own speakers at any point, or did they just re-badge other peoples (and if so, whose)?

When Laney bought them out, Laney were using a lot of HH speakers in their cabs for a while. I know I read about it all at the time, but I can't remember much at all of the details.

Also only just found out that the H¦¦H brand name has resurfaced and they are now making PA systems. It may be old news to some people but it's new to me as I'd never seen any of their products mentioned anywhere.

Thanks
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Re: Anyone know anything about old HH badged guitar speakers?

Postby mashedmitten » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Seems they were really Celestions, an 8 ohm version?

http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/v ... 12&t=97547
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby mick.n » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Just going on memory, i remember a HH product catalogue i had in 1980. I remember reading that they had "Pushed the boundaries of adhesive technology" when describing the spec of a speaker cab.
I think that at some point they did manufacture their own drivers.

It sticks in my mind because i went through a phase of blowing a few of them way back then . ;)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:47 pm

My VS Musician 2x12" combo from the '70s uses H||H PL50 speakers (I used to religiously write the tech specs of my gear into a pocket notebook back then -- these days I take phone pictures).

This Facebook group implies they did make their own too:

https://www.facebook.com/hhic100andVSMusician/

Funnily enough, the H||H factory was located on the same trading estate as where the current SOS offices are in Bar Hill, Cambridge!
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Sound Advice tips: www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:03 pm

When I first got into making music in the late 70's HH were making a great fuss about their new drivers. I don't know how much they actually made themselves but they certainly appeared to be different from most of the other drivers on the market. I'd bet Ivan might know for sure though...
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

HH speakers: calling Ivan SC

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 pm

James Perrett wrote:When I first got into making music in the late 70's HH were making a great fuss about their new drivers. I don't know how much they actually made themselves but they certainly appeared to be different from most of the other drivers on the market. I'd bet Ivan might know for sure though...

Ivan, are you out there?
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Sound Advice tips: www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks, Ian, for that link. Looks like they first used either a Fane or a Celestion G12H based speaker in the IC100 before they started making their own speakers e.g. the PL50. Looks like a sister company, HH Acoustics, was set up to make the speakers.

It's a shame the current HH website hasn't got much detail at all on the company's past in the history section
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:55 am

Don't desert SoS forum but there are a couple of guys at 'thefretboard.co.uk' that know A LOT about a lot of guitar speakers.

I have heard that there was a lot of acrimony and 'poaching' going on back then!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby IvanSC » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:58 pm

You called?

Among many others, my pal Tosh worked on the HH speaker manufacturing line.
I got to watch him get his fingers stuck together on a regular basis.
Apparently the same thing happened when he was making speakers too.

I suspect at one stage that Mike Harrison developed a terminal case of musomegalomania, as he seemed to decide he wanted to manufacture every element of "group gear" in-house *apart from drums*

Certainly his mixer-amps and keyboards and those ghastly PA cabinet with the giant plastic horns were less than fabulous even for the time.
I did use one of his sliding head echoplex clones with the Soft Boys, mostly for making weird noises...
It too was always giving us problems.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 am

I had quite a few bits of HH gear back in the day, a couple of guitar amps (IC100D head and an IC100 combo) a V500 power amp and a pair of 15H cabs (with a bullet tweeter, a revelation after the piezo stuff that preceded it). None of it was bad kit, all performed reliably for as long as I had it and all was sold on working when I upgraded. I also had a Harrison 500 watt, 1U stereo power amp which was brilliant. I kept it for many years until it eventually died and there parts to fix it were no longer available.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist

Postby The Korff » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:40 am

According to an article we published in Performing Musician mag (RIP), HH did indeed make their own speakers...

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/j ... genius.htm

That article is about Carlsbro (whose founder, Stuart Mercer, bought HH), but I'm sure we did one about the curious history of HH as well... let me check...
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Aha!

A two-parter, no less. (For those who never read Performing Musician mag, the 'Pub Genius' column was a charmingly eccentric series of articles which took the format of a pub chat, in which our hero told the histories of various MI industry companies, in exchange for beer...)

HH Part 1:

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/f ... genius.htm
Part 2:

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/m ... genius.htm
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Wonks wrote:Just a matter of interest, but does anyone know if HH made their own speakers at any point, or did they just re-badge other peoples (and if so, whose)?

When Laney bought them out, Laney were using a lot of HH speakers in their cabs for a while. I know I read about it all at the time, but I can't remember much at all of the details.

Also only just found out that the H¦¦H brand name has resurfaced and they are now making PA systems. It may be old news to some people but it's new to me as I'd never seen any of their products mentioned anywhere.

Thanks

Hi Wonks,
I seem to remember HH using Mackenzie speakers at one time (1970s ?). Mackenzie I think were later taken over by Fane.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular