You are here

High fret on bass. Best way to tap back in?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

High fret on bass. Best way to tap back in?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 pm

A friend of mine asked me to look at his bass which has a buzz on a single fret on the treble side up at the 19th fret. Looking closely the fret end has very slightly risen out of its slot. A tiny amount but apparently enough to cause the buzz. What's the best way to tap it back in place? Cheers chaps
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster
Freedom of speech means freedom to offend

Re: High fret on bass. Best way to tap back in?

Postby mashedmitten » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm

First question is what caused it to rise. If moisture or the like, then more care is called for. If it just looks like it caught something in it's past and got raised, I'd give it a very light tap with a rubber mallet, or even the spine of a medium hard cover book and see what happened. I'd apply pressure to the other end to prevent see-sawing. If it looked ok after the first tap I'd continue slightly increasing the taps' force until it was seated. Hopefully the retaining barbs haven't sustained damage, or the wood around them.

I should have started with it depends on the quality of the instrument. If it's precious, don't muck about and take it to a luthier. Else, my above suggestion.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Lay the bass on a decent surface. Get an off cut of scrap hardwood. Hold that against the raised fret like a punch. Give it a firm tap with a hammer, as if you are hammering in a small nail. The scrap wood protects the fret and fretboard from damage.

Nine times out of ten that will be all that's needed. If it doesn't fix things pop back here and let me know.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
I've always been a fine figure of a man. 25 years ago it was measured by quality, now it is measured in quantity.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Brilliant, thanks both.

It's a very cheapo Squier but it's not at all bad apart from the one fret. Personally I rarely venture that far up a bass fingerboard but the owner is an excellent jazz upright player who most certainly does!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Hmmm, didn't seem to want to move. Might have to get the files out after all which I was trying to avoid.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Yep, it sounds like the fret is secure and not moving. Files it is then :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
I've always been a fine figure of a man. 25 years ago it was measured by quality, now it is measured in quantity.

Postby mashedmitten » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote: Looking closely the fret end has very slightly risen out of its slot. A tiny amount but apparently enough to cause the buzz.

Could be crud buildup in the gaps.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Yep, it sounds like the fret is secure and not moving

Yes, I suspect it may have been like that since it left the factory,
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster