You are here

Are these kinds of Synths made?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Are these kinds of Synths made?

Postby Dave.G » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi,I'm looking to invest in a new hardware synth.I have a microkorg but find it a little limited soundwise.
I'm looking for a particular kind of synth,one which i don't know is even being made.
I have lots of good native instrument software/omnisphere/reason etc on my computer. Great sounds. For live work,i don't want to bring a laptop with me and make use of these sounds through Mainstage for example. Is there a hardware synth out there that can import the sounds i need? For example,if there's a sound in the FM8 that i really like,can i export the sound into the hardware synth and use it in a live situation? Can this be done?
Thanks,I hope someone out there can help me.

Dave.
Dave.G
Regular

Re: Are these kinds of Synths made?

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Sounds like you need a sampling keyboard/module.

A Triton/Trinity can have a sampling option fitted and there are a number of forum members that will probably suggest a Kurzweil K2500. Alternatively there are plenty of samplers by Akai or E-Mu that you can find on eBay.

Or you could go for one of these http://www.openlabs.com/products.html Integrated computer and keyboard, but they're not cheap!
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:30 pm

Korg OAsys maybe?

or Muse Receptor and a controller keyboard

what you need in order to do what you describe, is basically a PC in a keyboard.
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby The Pearl Works » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:42 pm

The Oasys and Openlabs are megabucks!

What's the reason you don't want to take the laptop on the road?
The Pearl Works
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:07 pm

A fast modern laptop stuffed with RAM is the best thing. Use a reliable brand, like Apple or Sony. Kraftwerk use Sony.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:13 pm

For an FM8 sound you could pick up an old 6-op Yamaha synth (Dx7, TX7, TX802, etc) for peanuts and try loading a few banks of presets into it (loads around on the net). Or hunt down a PC-based programmer and copy the FM8 parameters.

Back in the day I loaded all my old DX7/TX7 sysex into FM7 (now FM8) - that was a great feature of the software. Dunno if you can do it the other way around though.

Personally I think you'll be disappointed and frustrated with sampling your synths. A static sample is a poor substitute and good multisampling takes a lot of memory and lot of time to create something convincing.

Taking a laptop (and Brainspawn Forte) would be the option I'd choose.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby jellyjim » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 pm

http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/v-machines.html

+ a decent controller keyboard

only disadvantage is the box probably doesn't have as much wellie as a dedicated computer but there are lots of ways to deal with that
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm interested to see how much the V-Rack will be. Last time I had need of something like this I ended up finding an old laptop for less than half the price of the V-Machine!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm

jellyjim wrote:http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/v-machines.html

+ a decent controller keyboard

only disadvantage is the box probably doesn't have as much wellie as a dedicated computer but there are lots of ways to deal with that

I had forgotten about that product, but as Elf points out, you could probably get a better spec' laptop for less.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave.G » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:54 pm

thanks guys for all your suggestions....
richie,true those openlabs are way too expensive for me!
idris,yes the muse receptor and oasys are way too expensive also!
jellyjim,the v-machine sounds like the sort of thing i need...not TOO expensive...BUT the reviews aren't too good(as you kind of suggest anyway) online unfortunately!
Pearl Works,the reasn I don't want to bring my laptop with me is because it's the only one I have(MacBook Pro - 1 year old-4gb Ram)...I spent approx 2 grand on it last year and i feel that out on the road it may get damaged...
but it seems to me(from all your suggestions) that the laptop seems to be the best way to go for me,for now...
I'll try to pick up a cheap second hand mac somewhere and start using Mainstage.

Thanks guys....

dave.
Dave.G
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:10 pm

FM-8 sounds:

Yamaha:
DX7 mk2 or Mk1 depending on prefferance
DX-100 (12bit 4OP machine with a great gritty tone and great for bass)
FS-1R (Amazing synth that's also amazing at how much it sucks to program due to the small interface lol never the less use a sysex editor and it's all cool)
DX-200 > DX7 II with filters etc.. but to get the most of it you need the software editor but the front pannel allows some cool tweeking ability.

The original DX's aka mk1 DX7, DX-100, DX27 and so on to this day I belive sound better than FM7 and 8
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:44 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:The original DX's aka mk1 DX7, DX-100, DX27 and so on to this day I belive sound better than FM7 and 8

They may sound "preferable to you" but I don't think they sound "better". Different, noisier, crunchier, less hi-fi - characteristics that are worse in theory, but may well add character that's appealling. I find this on the Wavestation verses the software version. The hardware version sounds crappier, but I prefer it to the more hi-fi software (which sounds "better", but less preferable to me).
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:21 pm

desmond wrote:
vinyl_junkie wrote:The original DX's aka mk1 DX7, DX-100, DX27 and so on to this day I belive sound better than FM7 and 8

They may sound "preferable to you" but I don't think they sound "better". Different, noisier, crunchier, less hi-fi - characteristics that are worse in theory, but may well add character that's appealling. I find this on the Wavestation verses the software version. The hardware version sounds crappier, but I prefer it to the more hi-fi software (which sounds "better", but less preferable to me).

Yes you are right I just wrote it down pisse eyed lol
I think I meant to say I personaly feel they got more character to them sound wise hence why I said stupidly "better"
Indeed the software is technicaly better and even the DX-7 mk2 is better as it uses the 16bit convertors while the mk1 used 12bit but I belive that is one of the reasons out of many why I preffer the sound..also although a lot of people don't like the DX or programing one I for sure enjoy sitting down with one and making sounds rather than point and click
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster