You are here

things are going mad in ebay land

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

things are going mad in ebay land

Postby Rolandforever » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi

I have been following the progress of various pieces on ebay recently and have come to the conclusion that people are mad!

a) £2000 for a TR808 (did not include holiday to Maldives)
b) A mint Roland A90 for £120 - such a great master keyboard cant believe such a low price
c) 2 CR78s auctioned at the same time; 1 with Kenton MIDI fitted and lots of good photos and the other without midi and a rubbish photo - guess which auction got £30 more?
d) Jupiter 4s selling for £1200, £1400 then £1850 in the last few months whilst at the same time a Jupiter 6 with Europa gets bids to £1000. I love JP4s but are they worth more than a JP6? I dont think so.

I did quite well selling vintage gear three years ago but with hindsight I could have easily doubled my money had I kept everything until now including the CS60 (RL/Kent Spong refurb) that I sold for £1650!
Rolandforever
Poster

Re: things are going mad in ebay land

Postby Bynoe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Couldn't agree with you more. Some people are asking silly prices for some things and strangely enough getting them.
Bynoe

Postby LinzHenderson » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Yeah, I've been selling a few things recently and I tend to put them on Buy it Now or Best Offer. Most things have sold for the Buy it Now price with nobody bothering to make offers. Not complaining but things are definitely a bit different than this time last year.
LinzHenderson

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Don't get me started...trends, ebay and crappy mags like FM are at the cause of all this.
There is no more privacy when it comes to making music, no more secret magic..everything is out in the open and if idiots see some one used a JP4 for song "x" then they are those idiots with too much money who don't have talent but money and they must have that JP for what ever cos their fave artist uses it and it's the KEY to making you a star...then you got sad ol' hoarders who don't make music but just must collect, pay silly prices and hoard them...

Even crap gear gets stupid money on ebay...200 quid for a DX-100 any one? How about 400/500 quid for a MPC-2000XL? How about 300 for a broken 2000 with the screen lines??!!?!
What about 600 for a Juno 106!!!
Things are mad...lack of money everywhere yet people can justify 500 on a SH-101
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 pm

...but they can’t afford to buy music, so they download that illegally instead

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby tomafd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 pm

It's basic psychology. Anything easily available (and free, if you want to go illegal) doesn't have 'value' therefore no-one really 'wants it', in terms of gearlust, even though a lot of the time it's perfectly serviceable, if maybe lacking a bit of 'magic'. Anything old and scarce therefore develops a 'value' that's totally disproportionate to whether it's actually any good or not.

I've got an old Wasp synth (my first) I bought, new, for £180 in 1979. Still works, and I'm told I could get £600 for it these days. Nice, fat, old thing, but £600 ? You have to be kidding ...
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby turbodave » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 pm

tomafd wrote:

I've got an old Wasp synth (my first) I bought, new, for £180 in 1979. Still works, and I'm told I could get £600 for it these days. Nice, fat, old thing, but £600 ? You have to be kidding ...

Yeah....£800 at least!!
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 am

If only I was prepared to sell my 808 or my 606, I could make a tidy sum!
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 am

I flogged my 808/909 and got a Novation Drumstation. Regardless of what the purists will tell you it does the job perfectly well. Between that and few samples I've got the 808/909 thing covered to my satisfaction, and I speak as one who owned both of the real things for many years.

Take the money and smile warmly!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:38 am

Indeed I could sell and replace with a drumstation, but on a purely superficial matter

versus

I know which one I prefer!

It is more than that though, I know I could sample the 808 or replace it, but the ownership of the physical item; a machine that had caught my ear since I heard The Beastie Boy's "Licensed to Ill" album when I was 9 or ten all adds to my attachment to the big black box. It may not do much and it may have been replicated or sampled, but I do love my 808 and in time it's value may continue to increase, it might not or it might go kaput, but it is a item I enjoy having in my studio, visually and aurally.

I have a Rhodes and a Clavinet E7, both of which I could sell on and replace with an Nord Electro, but again there's just something about owning them and their unique qualities that makes me keep them, for the moment.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby N WILLIAMS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:54 pm

I think nobody should be without a sampler. The prices of them at the minute are ridiculously low. I am surprised people bother to sell them. If they kept hold of them, surely they would be worth more because they would be harder to get and more in demand. I saw an Akai S3000XL sell for £85! - an absolute bargain for the buyer, a giveaway for the seller.
I am surprised vintage keyboards sell for high prices. Between them - not mentioning any in particular - they have been sampled or emulated to death over the years its hardly worth buying the originals.
N WILLIAMS
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Richie Royale wrote:I know which one I prefer!

Yeah, the Novation, as you can hide it away in a rack and not have to look at it. Whereas the ugly Roland...
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Mixedup wrote:
Richie Royale wrote:I know which one I prefer!

Yeah, the Novation, as you can hide it away in a rack and not have to look at it. Whereas the ugly Roland...

There's no accounting for taste!

Speaking of which, I spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Roland-Tr-808-HANDBAG-LIMITED-EDITION-tr808-909-juno-/220592969031?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item335c5d9547

and this other incarnation of the 808:

http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/decorative-accessories/look-roland-tr808-pillow-071914

Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Bynoe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 pm

N WILLIAMS wrote:I think nobody should be without a sampler. The prices of them at the minute are ridiculously low. I am surprised people bother to sell them. If they kept hold of them, surely they would be worth more because they would be harder to get and more in demand. I saw an Akai S3000XL sell for £85! - an absolute bargain for the buyer, a giveaway for the seller.
I am surprised vintage keyboards sell for high prices. Between them - not mentioning any in particular - they have been sampled or emulated to death over the years its hardly worth buying the originals.

Got to disagree with you on this. I love samplers but I do think they are completely obsolete now, given that you can do everything and more with soft samplers and faster. On the other hand Vintage keyboards still produce a sound that is unique. There is also something about having a keyboard that you just turn on a play and get sound out of straight away, albeit limited in comparison to a softsynth, but you know I mean.
Bynoe

Postby flo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:40 pm

To be honest I don't get all the 'hate' here and there about this. I might be guilty of having gear that my talent will never pay justice to - but does it matter if I got the gear for free or paid a high price? Do I need the approval of others if I want to buy something?

I agree that prices have gone bonkers at the moment for anything analog with or without keys, and I certainly would not pay most of these prices. Sometimes you even seem to notice a DIRECT impact of a model being discussed in certain circles and then the prices rise (jupiter4 IMO) almost as a direct consequence. BUT if some people want to pay that? Fine, go for it! All those who have great talent and don't need a lot of gear won't buy it anyway, so where's the prob? ;-)

For example, I set my heart on a Ob-1 for quite a while now. I certainly don't need it and not in a million years will I ever think that it changes ANYTHING in the quality of my output (other than the sounds of course, he he). But I just really really like this little box. But it comes worse: this is just from looking at pics and listening to clips, I never played one in person. I know of its existence purely from the interweb! Shame on me!

Prices for them are very high so I won't buy anytime soon. But one day, when my finances are okay and I feel like it, I will just buy one. When, at this very moment, it will be a few hundred pounds above 'my imagined price', I will give a sh!t because I want to treat myself. Who cares about money (within some limits of course) if it is earned and gives me something that makes me happy? If I feel that something is important for me, then I should do it rather than dreaming all the time - we all are under the permanent threat of spontaneous combustion - and then? Finito with wet dreams about synths! Take it or leave it, and each to their own - I really mean it. I certainly don't need to justify what prices I pay for something to other 'fellows' is it? Other people just spend their money on holidays, and once they are over, they are over. Imagine that!

Rant over. It was one of these days when actually MAKING the money felt a bit harder than usual
flo
Regular

Postby Dave B » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:12 am

Roland A90 just went for £225 - I know because my bid was 220!

I don't mind the insanity that much. If someone wants to pay silly money for a particular bit of kit then that's fine by me. There are now so many options - want analogue? Uncle Dave or Grandpa Bob (RIP) have that covered. Sooper dooper rompler workstations? See the current big boys. VA that acts as a plugin? Mega sample library?

Or you can fork out for the real thing.... Most are now quite well looked after.

We have so much variety of kit at the moment that it's unreal. And go back 20 years or so and look at the prices - we are actually getting it for reasonable money (in real terms).

Doom and gloom? Nah ...

Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BJG145 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:29 pm

One of the hyped areas I've noticed recently is anything vaguely keytar-related, with even a Yamaha SHS-200 fetching £180.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat May 01, 2010 6:09 pm

I just got a Wavestation A/D for £200...was surprised I was the only bidder, it's even got a new backlight fitted which is cool cos i'll sell it and fit a LED display instead and get rid of them awful whining inverters too.
I can't wait to program this thing, I know what they are capable of sounding like..I'm not a huge fan of it's presets
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:16 pm

(Interesting - haven't come across that mod before. Gotta love the Wavestation.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat May 01, 2010 9:29 pm

BJG145 wrote:(Interesting - haven't come across that mod before. Gotta love the Wavestation.)

Not mine but looks great!

Here is a link on how to change the screen to a LED backlit one

http://tellun.com/wavestation/wavestation.html
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sun May 02, 2010 12:49 am

TBH, the Wavey's days were numbered the second that the VSTi was released. Because when you play the vsti through a decent set of converters, you hear how the thing was supposed to sound. However much I love my units (I've had at least two now for almost two decades), they are slightly dull and a fair bit grainy. And whilst you can use the AD as an outboard processor, I'm not sure why or when you would!
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun May 02, 2010 1:04 am

If only Roland would see the light like Korg did and release a virtual D-50 of some sort..I know they had a D-50 for the Vari-Os but yea lol
Whats odd is instead of the price of the hardware i.e. M1 going down it's actually gone up!
I paid like 110 quid for my M1 back in 2003...I would have one again just for the keyboard and the amount of things you can put on it lol
Nice space for a Nord rack or Blofeld there haha
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby GaryW23 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 am

N WILLIAMS wrote:I think nobody should be without a sampler. The prices of them at the minute are ridiculously low. I am surprised people bother to sell them. If they kept hold of them, surely they would be worth more because they would be harder to get and more in demand. I saw an Akai S3000XL sell for £85! - an absolute bargain for the buyer, a giveaway for the seller.

I'm in complete agreement with this post - I augmented my old W-30 with a 32MB Akai S-2000 recently for the princely sum of £35 - bargain
GaryW23
Poster

Gary.

My kit: Roland XP-30 / Alesis Micron / Korg Volca Bass / 2 x Roland W30 / Akai S2000 /Core i3 Laptop / Roland QUAD Capture / Sonar Platinum / various plugins

Postby valves4ever » Mon May 03, 2010 8:33 am

Old gear is like old cars...not worth the effort and trouble unless you're a madman or woman!
valves4ever
Regular

Postby infiniteloop » Mon May 03, 2010 12:49 pm

infiniteloop
Regular

Postby Stephen Bull » Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm

valves4ever wrote:Old gear is like old cars...not worth the effort and trouble unless you're a madman or woman!

Sorry but I don't agree with that...In these days of low or zero interest rates good items of gear, especially well-preserved classics are a good investment long term. Also you get some use out of them, and some pleasure....which is more than you can say for your ISA's !!
Stephen Bull
Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri May 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Fri May 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Cheap at twice the price!
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby bobsyour uncle » Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 am

things have become super hyped on ebay , i bought a rhodes chroma for £1500 (mint ) and the same week a guy claimed he sold one for $9000 on ebay , he still doesnt have feedback from the deal and to be honest people need to wake up a bit about all this as people are hyping prices on there deliberately , dealers are buying goods from themselves and inflating ' the going rate weekly ' seriously you wouldnt believe whats going on but it is , ebay = FAKE prices , ebay has blinded people , i have sold £3000 worth of gear on ebay over the last year , the gear was all advertised on sos at a value of £2000 in total for 2 months ! i had maybe a few mails but no sales , i put it on ebay and it makes more than i ask as people are braindead and compete , i still prefer sos sales , ebays a parasite , to be honest people are utterly brainless now , they cannot see what ebay is doing and also how in the end none of us are better off , inflation is destructive no matter what when it is fueled by stupidity and greed , an idiot and his money are easily parted.I have been offered jp8's for £3000 many times in the last 10 weeks after asking for one on forums yet people ask double this on ebay , on ebay idiots just act greedy , its all greed fueled by morons with more money than sense really , the fashionable synth buyers are pac mentality ' lets clone this sound ' artists , one week its numan and the jp4 , then its boc and sh101 , then its 'he uses this ' and so a whole scene of idiots buy a certain machine and compete with each other , its why much music sounds so fake and # karioki ' we have a whole generation of karioki electronic artists trying to sound like a certain idolised artist , none of them get anywhere , when the trend ends or wears off or shifts jp4 will be £700 again , you watch , these things just dont sustain themselves.Anyone wonder why so many jp4's go on sale ? and why there are so many analogues for sale ? its all fickle and fake this hyped up price wars.I suggest of anyone here wants to actually make music and release it , get label interest and be creative and actaully finish tracks you start by deleting a link to ebay and stop acting like lemmings.
bobsyour uncle
Poster

Postby nar » Fri May 21, 2010 11:24 pm

I agree completely that prices are crazy. I've recently been looking for a small mixer as the cheapest wasy to add mic pres, and wonder why someone thinks I want to pay £200 for an 8 channel soundcraft spirit, when just underneath is a 16 channel 200BVE with flight case for both it and the psu for £120. Guess which one's on my desk.

And I don't know whether people are deceitful liars or just idiots, but 90% of music stuff auctions I look at have completely false descriptions, or the good old "If you're looking at this then you know what a great piece of kit it is!!!".
nar
Poster

Next