You are here

Which expression pedal for a Novation Remote 25?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Which expression pedal for a Novation Remote 25?

Postby Bob Moose » Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Hello,

I have the original Novation Remote 25 midi controller (this version).

The Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal that I am using does not work well with the Remote 25, in terms of pedal curve.

* When performing a full range heel-down to toe-down linear movement with the FC-7 pedal connected to a Yamaha P-250 stage piano, the MIDI CC data that another device receives over time is something like this:
0 12 25 38 51 64 76 89 102 114 127

* But when replacing the P-250 by the Novation Remote 25, the received data is closer to something like:
0 64 100 120 125 127 127 127 127 127 127
probably because either the FC-7, the P-250 or the Remote 25 use a proprietary pedal curve somewhere.

As far as I know, there is no way to change the expression pedal curve on the Remote 25.

Which pedal should I use with the Remote 25? Or I am missing a hidden parameter somewhere?

Best regards
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Re: Which expression pedal for a Novation Remote 25?

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 18, 2010 12:17 am

Hi Bob!

have you read my extensive thread in the PC Music FAQs entitled ‘Expression Pedals not generating the full range of MIDI Data’?

www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php ... ber=322584

In it I mention that the Yamaha FC7 employs a 50K linear pot, whereas the Roland EV-5 uses a 10K linear pot, which may explain the latter’s greater compatibility across keyboards.

If you’re an electronics DIY person and have a 10K lin pot about the place, try pluggin that in temporarily into your Novation Remote keyboard to see if you get a smoother data output across its travel. If so, replace the existing pot in your FC7 to solve your current problem.

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Neil - FocusriteNovation » Tue May 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi Bob,

Further to Martins reply, it would also be worth checking out this article on our answerbase which includes our tested and recommended expression pedals - http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=561

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Novation Technical Support
Neil - FocusriteNovation
Poster

Postby Bob Moose » Tue May 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks a lot for your helpful replies Martin and Neil!

Sorry Martin I do not have any spare potentiometer here, but actually I tried with the continuous sustain pedal that comes with the P-250. Its potentiometer varies between about 3K and 13K. It works better than the FC-7, but the transmitted CC range is only 0-100 (and the 100 position is not very stable, I mean it usually oscillates randomly between 99 and 102).

Apparently the most simple solution is to make an adapter lead as suggested by the Novation answer base:

Yamaha FC-7. This pedal has the correct law pot, but incorrect wiring. This can be made to work by rewiring the TRS jack or making an adapter lead, but it won't work out of the box.

Unfortunately this page does not give the correct wiring. Where can I find it? Is it as simple as changing T-R-S to R-T-S?

All the best,
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Moose » Tue May 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Bob Moose wrote:
Unfortunately this page does not give the correct wiring. Where can I find it? Is it as simple as changing T-R-S to R-T-S?
Yes, this should do it. Sorry Martin I read your FAQ too fast the first time

-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Glad you’re sorted Bob!

Yep. 0-100 data output is the classic sign of a tip/ring swap, so a TRS to RTS adaptor lead is the way to go

Neil - thanks for that clarification. I’m pleased to find someone else including compatibility info on footpedals apart from me

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode