You are here

Reallocating MIDI note numbers?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Reallocating MIDI note numbers?

Postby Zaxx » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question (either because it can't be done or because it can be done easily). Is there any way of changing MIDI note numbers on a sound module or drum machine? I'm specifically looking to trigger a range of percussion sounds from a MIDI guitar controller but don't want to use existing MIDI/GM/XG maps, while as far as I can tell assembling a user kit on a drum machine will simply give me another conventional kit made up of alternative but related sounds with the same note numbers, which I don't want either as there are certain sounds (e.g. cymbals) which I particularly want to omit. Am I barking up a non-existent tree? Any advice appreciated.
Zaxx
Poster

Re: Reallocating MIDI note numbers?

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:05 pm

I suspect you need to create a custom MIDI map to translate incoming standard keys to whatever outgoing keys you need. No doubt there’s a free plug-in utility somewhere that will do this.

Anyone?

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:27 pm

You say "a sound module" or "a drum machine" as if they are all the same, or all have the same features.

Presumably you want to know how/what to do on a "specific" sound module or drum machine you intend to use.

Some drum machines let you choose how you assign sounds to incoming MIDI note numbers. So for example, 38 could by default trigger your snare, but you could remap a different sound to be triggered by note 38.

It all depends on the features your specific device has. Check their manual.

If they can't do this, then you'll need something in between, like a computer+software, to remap MIDI notes. This is usually a trivial thing for applications like Logic, for instance.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:30 pm

^^^^

Need to know what the equipment is. Bome do a general-purpose MIDI translation utility.

http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator/overview/classic
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt_Moose » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:49 pm

^^^^^
for example: Alesis SR16, you can select your bespoke kit from all the drum patches, and _then_ assign your own MIDI note numbers to the drums in the kit you've created. Or edit an existing kit to change the note numbers and save it as a user kit etc.

Not done it myself mind, and I always have a hassle that the standard kick note on MIDI tracks works on my jv1010, but is a couple semi-tones up or down the scale (can't remember exactly) for the SR16's default kick. But it's possible on that machine.
Matt_Moose
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:46 pm

BJG145 wrote:^^^^

Need to know what the equipment is. Bome do a general-purpose MIDI translation utility.

http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator/overview/classic

There you go Zaxx!

That should do what you want 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Zaxx » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks, all - now at least I know it's possible. I didn't have any particular hardware in mind, so couldn't be more specific - certainly none of the old stuff I currently own will do it - I was more looking for suggestions for possible purchases. Nice to know the humble SR-16's a possibility. Reckon I'll download a bunch of manuals to see what I can learn. Thanks for the software suggestion, but this is for live use so I'd really prefer a hardware solution.
Zaxx
Poster