You are here

VST String Library for live use... suggestions please!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

VST String Library for live use... suggestions please!

Postby starman9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 pm

I'm looking to purchase a VST string library suitable for live performance. I will be playing these strings from a mother keyboard using a fast PC and vst host such as Cantabile or Forte.

Listening to the many demos out there leaves me somewhat confused as to which library might best suit so I'm hoping someone with experience of different string libraries might be able to point me in the right direction.

Amongst other stuff, I'll be playing plenty of fast, big section, unison lines, mostly legato. I have Vienna Appasionata and Sonic Implants strings already and with these it's not so hard to make a nice noise when playing slow chords... but I need to play fast!

So... I need the fast articulations to be playable: not having any space at beginning of sample and responding in a smooth way to velocity. Of course they must sound generally awesome too! (I'll be doing all I can to get latency down as well)

So the question is: What string libraries would you recommend for my particular purposes? Thank you
starman9
Regular

Re: VST String Library for live use... suggestions please!

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:00 am

Starman, I was pleasantly surprised by NI's 'Session Strings', for it's performance programming. It's only a small-mid section sound, and they're marketing it as a Motown / Pop library, but there's a lot about it that's fine for orchestral stuff, in terms of sound.

There are performance patches available which use a combi of key switching and mod wheel switching to access different articulations and techniques. Would take a bit of learning to become confident for 'live' use I imagine, but I think it's better suited to this situation that the VSL libs.

Not too pricey at the moment either - I think NI have a half price sale on?
* User requested deletion 2 *
Frequent Poster

Postby starman9 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks reid, I'll certainly check that out. I'm not looking to play classical scores but, rather, play great sounding string parts in a pop context - so the NI Session Strings could perhaps be ideal. Any other ideas are also very welcome of course.
starman9
Regular

Postby mhaigh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:41 pm

there's a group buy on Kirk Hunter pop/rock strings at the mo

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/products_pop_str.html

i wish i could afford to get in on it, the demos sound boss...
mhaigh
Regular

My metal music! My other music!

Postby starman9 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you mhaigh!

I wonder if there is a shop who has a load of these vst instruments on demo? I believe Turnkey used to offer this facility but they of course are no more...
starman9
Regular

Postby Elteto » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:35 pm

I have been using EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra for a while now. It has different versions, depending on your needs and budget, but the top Platinum Complete Plus version is worth the money. It has 194GB of samples, recorded in multiple articulations, and three different mic positions. You control it through the Play engine, which is pretty simple but very powerful. It has various effects included as well, and you can load multiple instruments in one instance of the engine. You can switch between articulations on the fly with key switches, perfect for live performance. Just make sure you have an 88-key controller.

If you have a more limited budget, get the Gold version, it has all the articulations, but only one mic position. It is still a very potent collection, and later you can update to additional mic packages.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra
Elteto
Regular

Postby mhaigh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:45 pm

just to say guys, if you wanted to get the Kirk hunter strings at half-price in the group buy, you have to sign up by dec 22nd; however you have got until mid-January to pay...
mhaigh
Regular

My metal music! My other music!