You are here

Drum machine for electronica

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Drum machine for electronica

Postby BJG145 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:32 pm

What combination of software interface and sounds do you find most inspiring...? Redrum / Geist / Battery / Maschine / D16 / DAW / Other...? Or some particular hardware gadget...?
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Re: Drum machine for electronica

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:51 pm

TR-808+MPC-2000XL
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 pm

I was afraid you'd say that...

There's some brilliant looking software out there, but I'm finding it difficult to get excited about so far. (Geist does look neat, but I guess I need something to get my hands on apart from a keyboard. I've got an Alesis kit but it's a bit of a hassle to set up.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Elteto » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:55 pm

BJG145 wrote:I was afraid you'd say that...

There's some brilliant looking software out there, but I'm finding it difficult to get excited about so far. (Geist does look neat, but I guess I need something to get my hands on apart from a keyboard. I've got an Alesis kit but it's a bit of a hassle to set up.)

By "hands on", do you mean maybe a trigger pad, such as M-Audio Trigger Finger, or an Akai MPD controller? Or, if you want more control, maybe an Akai APC40 or APC20?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=akai+mpd

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=akai+apc

I think Battery is a very powerful drum sampler, and you can build excellent kits with a variety of effects. If you want to add more functions, you can build drum kits in Kontakt as well, although you will not get the MPC grid layout.

Geist or Guru has the advantage of pattern sequencing and arrangement, which Battery does not do.

There is also Beat Thang Virtual, which right now comes with a load of free sounds.

http://www.beatthang.com/
Elteto
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:04 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:TR-808+MPC-2000XL

Can I add LinnDrum, TR-606 and DR-55? Oh, and I have a DIY 909 clone (Introspectiv 9090) that does the job too.

I've been through a few drum machines, but I find old analogues the most immediately dabble-worthy. I recall the Korg ER-1 being decent fun too, and sort of regret selling it. I used to totally cane an old Casio RZ-1, which has four sample pads, for its lo-fi grit. Terrible kick/snare though.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

my nerdy synth tech blog

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:35 am

nathanscribe wrote:
vinyl_junkie wrote:TR-808+MPC-2000XL

Can I add LinnDrum, TR-606 and DR-55? Oh, and I have a DIY 909 clone (Introspectiv 9090) that does the job too.

I've been through a few drum machines, but I find old analogues the most immediately dabble-worthy. I recall the Korg ER-1 being decent fun too, and sort of regret selling it. I used to totally cane an old Casio RZ-1, which has four sample pads, for its lo-fi grit. Terrible kick/snare though.

The 606 is incredibly fun to use and the sounds are cool too in a corny way, would be nice if the price went back to normal on them again so I could have one again though lol
I love the MPC but then I'm kind of backwards in my ways...I also have Waldorf Attack (the plug-in) which is a drum synth and some times sample that in the MPC.
808 not mine but I have played with a few to dream about owning every day for the past 10 years

The Korg ER-1 mk1 was my first drum machine, they are great fun but at the time I was disappointed by it's sound..regardless of the sound for writing live patterns if I can remember right every time you select the sound you want to edit/step write it plays which is a bit annoying unless you hit the pad in time. When I had a Nord Modular I could get much better drum sounds than the ER-1 out of that after too many late nights staring at a screen with virtual patch chords lol

Sound wise I love the CR-8000 and Korg KR-55 at the moment, not sure how good these are to "play" as such as the Korg is a preset rhythm machine and the CR is on similar lines although it is programable.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:59 am

Check out Sonic Charge's Microtonic and Audio Damage's Tattoo.

Both have internal step sequencers. Both cheap, but sound expensive.

Microtonic is more 'out there' in drum synthesis terms, Tattoo is more Roland based. However, Tattoo can sequence every parametre, so you can really get some interesting modulations going on.

Since any electronica machine tends to judged on its kick sound, rest assured that both instruments will bother the neighbours with ease.

Both provide multiple outputs, so further processing is possible for each drum voice.

Either of these will match something like a Korg ER1, minus the knob experience, obviously.

Also +1 for Waldorf Attack, it remains a great sounding instrument, but lacks a pattern sequencer.

"If" I had to get a drum machine for electronica for use in a DAW, at the momment I'd choose Tattoo - it does Roland, then gets weirder.
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby hugol » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Maschine is really good.
hugol
Regular

Postby caveman82 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Elektron MachineDrum. If it's good enough for Autechre then little else matters. Very expensive though.
caveman82
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Nagle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:18 pm

The Korg ESX-1
Paul Nagle
Regular

Postby Robmobius » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Wow! Had a look at the Geist videos, and it looks pretty damn cool! I'm trying to think is it something that I'd really need - that is to say, I'm wondering what it can do that Ableton can't.

If it was cheaper - I'd definitely grab it tho'.
Robmobius
Regular

Postby Elteto » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Robmobius wrote:Wow! Had a look at the Geist videos, and it looks pretty damn cool! I'm trying to think is it something that I'd really need - that is to say, I'm wondering what it can do that Ableton can't.

If it was cheaper - I'd definitely grab it tho'.

Its power is in its ability to quickly drop samples on trigger pads, build kits, sequence patterns and assign patterns and kits to a keyboard or other controller, and add and tweak effects on the fly. It definitely shares some of its intuitiveness with Ableton, and is also great for live performance.
Elteto
Regular

Postby Robmobius » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:12 am

Elteto wrote:
Its power is in its ability to quickly drop samples on trigger pads, build kits, sequence patterns and assign patterns and kits to a keyboard or other controller, and add and tweak effects on the fly. It definitely shares some of its intuitiveness with Ableton, and is also great for live performance.

Nice one - Looks and sounds damn nice. I can kinda' see an advantage of having all the features in one tidy box so-to-speak.
Robmobius
Regular

Postby Elteto » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:14 am

Of course, it is best taken advantage of with a good pad controller that has assignable faders and knobs for live tweaking.

Interesting the subject has come up now; I just installed a free version of Guru from a Computer Music magazine bundled CD. It was issue #155. No, it is not a time-expiring demo, either.
Elteto
Regular

Postby franciskimberley » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:42 am

FL Studio + Battery 3 although this is an increasingly clunky (albeit still powerful) set up compared to things like Geist and Nerve et al. Fwiw I tried Guru but never got on with it. Mostly Goldbaby and Ian Boddy samples and a few choice VSTs for extra effects. FL Studio has a bit of an unfair "toy" rep sound these parts but i've been using it for 11 years! I know it better than i know some of my friends!

IMO Battery is still the best machine for getting the most out of your samples, it allows the user to get unique and creative results very easily, but it is starting to lack features that the other drum machines are starting to include by default (slicing, basic sequencing).

Ive never got into drum synthesis so can't comment on drum synths. With my set up i can make one 808 kick sample into 20+ different sounding kicks so i'll let others do the sculpting while i use their results as my starting point
franciskimberley
Regular

Postby Robmobius » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Just playing around with the Geist demo in Ableton at the moment.

Jebus! I'm really tempted to buy it now... I'm having loads of fun with it so far, and it sounds awesome. I know a lot of people will say that you can already do a lot of that stuff in Abe - but the work flow is really nice and well thought out. Plus, the slicing, FX and time stretching are really cool and seem well ez to use.
Robmobius
Regular