You are here

Hanging notes - please help

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Hanging notes - please help

Postby axl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi,
I´m having some midi trouble:
On both my Moog sp and my Roland Gaia, suddenly I have this low frequency tone that wont stop. It happened in both cases - at different times - when connecting midi to Daw (logic 9).

Can´t figure out the solution. I´m recently back into hardware synths, so I apologize in advance if there is some obvious solution to this. It is driving me crazy, though, so please help if you have thoughts on the matter. If you think its internal midi setting within my hardware gear, please be specific.

I´m wondering if it has something to do with moving to a different house - where a lot of the electrical is not grounded. I can´t remember having any issues like this in my previous - more modern - apartment.
axl
Poster

Re: Hanging notes - please help

Postby MarkOne » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:51 pm

WHat hardware are you using - MIDI interface, particularly?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:05 pm

And is it a laptop or desktop machine?

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby axl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 pm

I´ve been using USB straight into my macbook pro. I read on another forum about Logic 9 having some kind of bug that can lead to hanging/stuck notes on external midi-gear....
I really hope that´s not the case, or I will have to change DAW - to pro tools, probably.
axl
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:25 pm

This is definitely a MIDI note, playing the sound currently selected on the synth, and coming out of the audio system connected to the synth's audio output?

Otherwise I don't think we're looking for a stuck MIDI note.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby axl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Actually, it probably isnt a midi note per se, but it´s a low frequency tone. On the Gaia, for example, I can play notes on top of it, change presets etc, but still that low frequency tone keeps sounding.
axl
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:54 pm

I think we're looking at a ground loop then. Or maybe a lack-of-ground loop, if that makes sense! Of course, changing your software won't make any difference.

If your power supply isn't grounded, can you do anything about it? Make up a distribution board for your audio gear fed from the usual power socket but with the addition of a ground connection from e.g. a water pipe. Just check with a local electrician that this won't cause safety issues - different countries arrange mains power in different ways, and I haven't a clue how it's done in Oslo. But, if your home DID have a ground connection, there's a fair bet that would be how it's derived. And as the whole issue comes from it being an older building, hopefully the metal water pipes WILL reach ground. In a modern building they're likely to go into plastic at some point (giving a whole different set of issues regarding cross-bonding of water and gas pipes). So do check with that electrician!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby axl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will check that out, and post the results.
axl
Poster

Postby axl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Just thought I´d mention that I had an electrician drag a grounded cable into my "project studio" and now everything is working fine. So if anyone is experiencing midi-madness similar to mine, check out the state of your electricity.
axl
Poster