You are here

ultra Lightweight collapsible telescopic keyboard stand

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

ultra Lightweight collapsible telescopic keyboard stand

Postby Protunes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi there. A long shot this one, but I've run out of research avenues:

Im a keyboard player looking to go truly portable. I've got myself an M-Audio Oxygen 49 which I connect up to a Samsung N110 running Cantabile Lite ( a brilliant free VST loader BTW).

All I need now are some legs that hold the keyboard up at about 90cm - 110cm.

I've been looking at stands like this:
http://www.djmmusic.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=KYS21-BK

However I really want a stand which fits into my keyboard bag with the keyboard. My bag is the 49 key Novation version:
http://www.novationmusic.com/products/accessories/gig_bags

So I have about 8cm depth I can add to the total height of the oxygen.

All the stands I look at are about 13cm collapsed.

The M-Audio Oxygen 49 is only 4Kg so the stand doesn't have to support much weight.

BACKGROUND:
I've thought about getting a really strong music stand but it won't support the keyboard when I use the bottom and top keys. I've also looked at things like the K&M Spider, but this will mean somthing else to carry, which is what I want to avoid.

AND FINALLY
I've got a really long USB cable so I can put the netbook out of the way somewhere on stage, but ideally i'd like a stand which also had an attachment for the netbook. the keyboard and netbook together are still only about 5.5kg

SUMMARY
keyboard stand collapsed Max Size: WxHxD 70cm x 8cm x 30cm
Keyboard stand erected Height: 90cm - 110cm
Additional tray for netbook
Weight: less than 5Kg

Thanks in advance

Steve
Protunes
Poster

Re: ultra Lightweight collapsible telescopic keyboard stand

Postby Protunes » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:43 am

Since my last post I've found something that fits the bill:

On-Stage KS7150 Platform Style Keyboard Stand
http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/KS7150/grp/GRP000073

It extends up to 109cm in height and it only weighs 5kg. Also it only costs about £40 but it is only available in the US.

I found one UK supplier who wanted £200+ for it. I'll keep looking for a uk supplier at a reasonable price, otherwise I'll just get it shipped over.
Protunes
Poster

Postby discomb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Hey there, interesting post. I'm curious how you get along using a netbook as a softsynth. Just had a quick look at the cantabile site and it sounds pretty good! I have a few questions if you would oblige...

Do you just use the in built audio in the netbook?
What sort of latencies do you get/what buffer sizes do you use?
Have you tried using ableton live?
What OS are you running?

I'm also interested to hear if you manage to find a good deal on that keyboard stand in the UK...

I too am looking to become more portable!
discomb
Regular

Postby Protunes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi discomb

I do use the built in audio on the netbook with AISO4All which has amazing latency for playing. I dont use it for recording so I don't know how good the recording latency is.

I bought myself a mackie SRM150 speaker for a monitor. The netbook plugs into that and then it has an xlr out to the desk. it has a mic stand attachement.

I have ableton live but I havent tried it on the netbook yet.

for sounds I use the Mda piano and electric piano and an amazing free B4 organ

The os is Windows 7 basic. The netbook only has 1 gb ram but it performs fine.

I have removed free avg and only have malwarebytes on it. Then I use an online virus scanner on it about once a month. I don't really use it for anything else so Im not too worried about viruses.

I can recommend portable as an ethos.

I thought I'd add a list of everything incase anyone is interested:
M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard in a Novation soft keyboard bag
Samsung N110
Cantable lite
Mda piano & epiano
AZR3 (Rumpelrausch Tapis) B4
Mackie SRM150 monitor

Just the stand to get. Preferably with a mic boom attachment.

P
Protunes
Poster

Postby mpostor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:05 am

PM sent.
mpostor
Regular

Postby Daniel Davis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 am

It strikes me that any ultra lightweight keyboard stand is going to do just that on stage - collapse, or be knocked over. Weight is often a good thing in equipment.
Daniel Davis
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree... Mass is one of the things that aids stability.

My fave stand is the Ultimate Support VS80 stand (sadly now discontinued) it folds down to around 50cm and happily packs in a sports bag, but it's quite heavy (around 9Kg)

But it sets up fast and is really stable. It's particularly well suited to 88 note weighted keyboards.

I also have, and like the Ultimate Support AX48, which looks great on stage but is a bit like lugging a bazooka around!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:35 pm

I can remember lugging a Fender Rhodes Stage 73 up and down flights of stairs to gigs - your arms don't forget that sort of weight for a LONG time

EDIT: Apparently it was 66Kg

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Protunes » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:22 pm

I looked at the Ultimate Support VS80 and apart from being a little on the heavy side I liked it. Especially the mic boom attachment as I also play trumpet. I tried to get one but then found it was discontinued.

The mass of the stand is a factor in its strength, but so is its design, the distribution of weight on the stand and its contact with the ground so a well designed light weight stand isnt necessarily weaker.

My other keyboard is a Nord Stage 88 - The hernia maker.
Protunes
Poster

Postby Protunes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:59 pm

I have spent all this time, on-and-off, looking for 'that' stand to no avail!

However, I have just purchased myself a Nord Electro 4D. I got an amazing deal from Dolphin Music, £300 cheaper than anywhere else and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I already have the Nord Stage 88 Revision B so I know their kit and love it.

The Nord Electro 4D is only about 7kgs and the Nord case has backpack straps so I can wear it on my back. I've read reviews that their cases can come apart at the corners so I will probably be getting out my needle, thread and some cardboard to strengthen the corners before I start.

The Nord will replace the M Audio Oxygen and the laptop, and if necessary I will no longer need to take the Mackie SRM150 so a good weight saving all round.

But still I look for that Keyboard stand. I'm seriously thinking of getting in touch with a manufacturing company to make me what I want. I know it may be ridiculously expensive, but It irks me that everything else in my setup suits both my musical needs and my portability requirements except the stand.

Does anyone else know of a good, lightweight and most importantly, collapsible stand. The smaller it compacts, the better.

Thanks
Protunes
Poster

Postby Scramble » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:38 pm

So why did you decide against the K&M Spider? I've never used one so I'm not recommending it, just curious. I think Quik-lok also do one like that as well.

The On-Stage stand you linked to looks very much like the K&M 18953, but as I expect you've noticed the K&M doesn't go that high, so it's not really suitable for standing-up playing, unless you're pretty short.

>I found one UK supplier who wanted £200+ for it.

Expensive, yes, but I expect that'll be a lot cheaper than getting a company to make you a custom stand. BTW I couldn't see where it said ithat that stand was only 5kg, that seems almost too light for stand that goes as tall as it does.

So you definitely don't want an X-stand? They have their faults and don't collapse telescopically, but they are light, and strong for their weight (as long as you don't get an el cheapo brand).
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Protunes wrote:My other keyboard is a Nord Stage 88 - The hernia maker.

Hardly! Try a Hammond A100 or a Yamaha CS-80... now they really were hernia bringers which is why I rarely played in live bands back in the day. Foolishly sold the CS-80 many moons back, but still got the A100.

I much prefer carting my Stage 88 about these days!

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:08 pm

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/quik-lok-qly-40-keyboard-stand--84408

I have one and, whilst it won't be as lightweight as you might like, it does collapse down quite neatly. And is surprisingly sturdy and stable (I use Kurzweils which are built like tanks).
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Protunes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:01 pm

I looked at the Quik-Loc QLY/40 Dave B and I liked the design and it does collapse down into a neat package. I know Im asking for the moon on a stick but this stand is 2Kgs heavier than the Nord Electro 4D itself. If I could find a stand like this but maybe about 3-4 Kgs.

I may have to go for an X stand in the short term and see if I can find a way of attaching it to the outside of the nord case. It will stick out at the sides, but at least my hands will be free for my Trumpet and accessories.
Protunes
Poster

Postby Protunes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:12 pm

K&M Spiders are nice. But they are still too heavy. The standard is 9.5Kgs and the Minispider is 8 Kgs.

It may have to be an X stand until modern technology catches up with my requirements (which are admittedley very specific).

I know this is a 21st Century first world problem but Ive become a little obsessive about it over the years since I started looking. I will forget about it for months at a time, and then it pops back into my head again, each time a little more manically than the last. Since ordering the Nord its become an obsession again.

Hey ho
Protunes
Poster

Postby DGL. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 pm

If you want an X stand then what about one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/jaspers_ksv2.htm
expensive, a little, but looks quality (it's made in germany), has loads of available addons and it's only 3kg!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Protunes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:32 pm

It looks good thanks DGL. I don't mind the cost so much, and it has attachments for my mic and even something to hold my Mackie SRM150.

It doesn't look particularly collapsible, but if its that light I can just strap it to my nord case on my back.

Going to email the company to confirm the 3Kgs and if it is, I think I'll get it
Protunes
Poster

Postby Protunes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Just found this:

Stagg X Style 5

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/57011-stagg-x-style-5-position-foldable-keyboard-stand-black.html

light, collapsible and cheap - like the budgie!
Protunes
Poster

Postby Scramble » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:28 pm

That's one of the brands I was talking about when I said avoid el cheapo brands. Unless Stagg have improved a lot recently, I wouldn't trust one of their X-stands on stage under a heavy keyboard. Quik-lok X-stands are a lot better than Staggs.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Protunes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:58 am

£19.00 does seem a little cheap doesn't it. Im only putting 7Kgs on it, but it is £1300 worth of 7Kgs.

Will have a look and see if quik-lok does anything similar.

So close, and yet so far!
Protunes
Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Try Jaspers. Buy direct or via Thomann.....

www.jaspers-alu.de

Brilliant keyboard stands and very light. Mainly for studio use but they do some collapsable ones........
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

Postby Scramble » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 am

Right, so you're only using your light Nord on stage, not your heavy one. Still, might as well as get a better brand than Stagg.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

Jaspers stands are great cos they're mostly made of some aluminium/magnesium alloy (I think) - whatever it is, it's as sturdy as steel but hugely lighter.

K&M make some very amenable folding stands which are easy to assemble - I just got one of their "trestle table" style ones for my current live rig.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby damoore » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 pm

I love my Onstage KS7350. Its a Z stand, so plenty of room for pedals, and will go from a low sitting to a high standing position; should work for anybody under say 6'3 standing - I am 180 (6'0") and its plenty high enough standing for me. It is very sturdy in either posy. When it is time to go, you can just flip over the top and bottom rails and it will lay flat - a bungy cord around the bottom legs would be handy while carrying it. Or you can break it down into a still more compact, but still flat shape, by removing a couple of knobs. Plus it expands sideways to big enough for a full sized 88.

Only down side is the rails are rather shiny so you will want to glue something grippy to them. I used a couple of strips of cork. There is a second tier available but I don't have it so I cannot comment on its qualities.
damoore
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser918580 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Protunes wrote:£19.00 does seem a little cheap doesn't it. Im only putting 7Kgs on it, but it is £1300 worth of 7Kgs.

Will have a look and see if quik-lok does anything similar.

So close, and yet so far!

new to this forum - stumbled across this via google - getting ready to add an electro 4d
to my NS2 76 and in the same situation as you protunes - curious as to what if anything you ended up deciding on?

or if anyone else has any comments?

thanks so much!!
forumuser918580

Postby Protunes » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Apologies for the delay. As I stated in an earlier post - I forget about it all for a few months and then pick it up again - and so here I am again:

I got 2 stands

This one: http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/kxs-a35_bk.html?backp=1
The bolt threaded the screw the first time I put it up and it went straight into the bin!

And this one:
http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/mxs-a1.html?backp=2
This is the one I use all the time at the moment. Ironically its the most difficult to transport because it dosnt collapse flat like most types of x stand. But I like the height (I sit down when I play) and all 4 feet are adjustable so I can compensate for wonky stages.

Im still on the look out for what would essentially be some collapsibe legs which would fit into my Nord softcase under my keyboard.

On a happier note. my Nord 4D is the best keyboard I've ever owned. I love it with a passion. It sounds great everywhere, and since teaming it up with my Mackie SM150 I can always hear how good it is on stage while I play it.

I also get to bamboozle sound engineers when I offer them an XLR from the keys! Gets me chuckling every time.

Steve
www.brickworklizards.com
What do you mean you DON'T know what Turkabilly is!
Protunes
Poster