You are here

Ooh! What's coming from Roland?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Ooh! What's coming from Roland?

Postby jellyjim » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE309uauyHg&feature=player_embedded

Will it be as exciting (yawn) as the Korg Kronos?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Ooh! What's coming from Roland?

Postby Kwaidan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

I know what it is... It will be a disaster sales wise for Roland.

Think along the lines of the Juno-D and Di and cross them with a V-Synth and tag the name of Jupiter on it.
Kwaidan
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

I love the clever original marketing video that's been totally ripped from the Kronos hahah

I'm guessing Roland VariOs mk2 hahahah oh and throw in some old names to sell.. Roland planet Jupiter via 303 Juno
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:38 am

y'all can laugh but I know for a fact through my connections at Roland that this synthesizer will be amazing. Completely analogue with physical control over almost all parameters. It has a an old school sequencer, and arp features. It comes equipped with MIDI, obviously, but also control voltage and DIN-sync! Roland have begun to understand that their brand appeal lies in its heyday. They are trying to harness that.(but not in the Juno D kind of way).

As for the look, the early shots I've seen appear to indicate a full metal chassis with cherry wood side panels. The old Roland colour schemes of yesteryear are hinted at. It looks very much like a Jupiter 8 in size and style.

I've been told it will rrp at around £1700 and it will be followed by a rack version for £1200.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby ken long » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:38 am

sike.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Steve Morley » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 am

Are you for real??? I really hope so!!!

Overly excited since reading this:) Any idea on when more info will be available and possible sound/video demos?
Steve Morley
Poster

Postby Kwaidan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:59 am

ken long wrote:y'all can laugh but I know for a fact through my connections at Roland that this synthesizer will be amazing. Completely analogue with physical control over almost all parameters. It has a an old school sequencer, and arp features. It comes equipped with MIDI, obviously, but also control voltage and DIN-sync! Roland have begun to understand that their brand appeal lies in its heyday. They are trying to harness that.(but not in the Juno D kind of way).

As for the look, the early shots I've seen appear to indicate a full metal chassis with cherry wood side panels. The old Roland colour schemes of yesteryear are hinted at. It looks very much like a Jupiter 8 in size and style.

I've been told it will rrp at around £1700 and it will be followed by a rack version for £1200.

JUPITER-80
Kwaidan
Regular

Postby ken long » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Steve Morley wrote:
Are you for real??? I really hope so!!!

Overly excited since reading this:) Any idea on when more info will be available and possible sound/video demos?

ken long wrote:
sike

ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby jellyjim » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

You're a very bad man Ken.

[pedant]I think it's "psyche" isn't it rather than "sike". As in "I psyched you out."[/pedant]
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby ken long » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 pm

jellyjim wrote:You're a very bad man Ken.

[pedant]I think it's "psyche" isn't it rather than "sike". As in "I psyched you out."[/pedant]

Sorry for that! Couldn't resist.

Sike and Psyche are interchangeable.

HTH.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 pm

ken long wrote:y'all can laugh but I know for a fact through my connections at Roland that this synthesizer will be amazing. Completely analogue with physical control over almost all parameters. It has a an old school sequencer, and arp features. It comes equipped with MIDI, obviously, but also control voltage and DIN-sync! Roland have begun to understand that their brand appeal lies in its heyday. They are trying to harness that.(but not in the Juno D kind of way).

One can only hope.. the only thing to have come out of the Roland labs in the last 10-15 years is disappointment

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby keeno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:06 pm

ken long wrote:

Wrong. Try again...
keeno
Regular

Postby keeno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Kwaidan wrote:
Think along the lines of the Juno-D and Di and cross them with a V-Synth and tag the name of Jupiter on it.

Close, but a bit negative.
keeno
Regular

Postby keeno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:
the only thing to have come out of the Roland labs in the last 10-15 years is disappointment

keeno
Regular

Postby Steve Morley » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Hmm Keeno leads us to believe he is in the know LOL
Steve Morley
Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Sounds more like an enthusiastic Roland rep or employee lol

To be honest I couldn't give a damn what they come out with although I can't wait and see how it will fail this time.
It won't make me a better musician or make me write better music, I'm skint and I have pretty much everything I need
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Kwaidan wrote:I know what it is... It will be a disaster sales wise for Roland.

Slag it off before you've even heard it: that's what this industry really needs, attitudes like this.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:One can only hope.. the only thing to have come out of the Roland labs in the last 10-15 years is disappointment

Utter nonsense.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby jellyjim » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:
Kwaidan wrote:I know what it is... It will be a disaster sales wise for Roland.

Slag it off before you've even heard it: that's what this industry really needs, attitudes like this.

No it doesn't but then again it doesn't really need the Korg Kronos either but they still made it. I think Kwaidan is saying "come on Roland, let's innovate not repackage." And if he isn't I certainly am!
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby Steve Morley » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Unfortunately I have to agree that Roland which was once my ultimate favourite gear makers these days just turns out synths that seem to be aimed at the kiddy market rather than the pro or semi pro musicians/producer. It's not like they don't know how to do it! So a real analog synth with some balls would be a welcome change. And if it resembles a fraction of the sound produced by their classics would be a winner.

Don't get me wrong the V synth is an exception in my book but things like the Juno D and Gaia are not great at all. There is a good reason why people are still willing to part with huge amounts of cash for the old Roland gear. Hype alone would have worn off by now!
Steve Morley
Poster

Postby Stan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Metamorphosis of a Legend - with a title like that i was expecting a little more info. Or ANY info for that matter. What a waste of someones time.
Come on Roland - more info please.
Stan
Regular

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:
Chevytraveller wrote:One can only hope.. the only thing to have come out of the Roland labs in the last 10-15 years is disappointment

Utter nonsense.

Really?.. so what have I missed since the JP80X0?.. more repackaged naff sounding romplers like the nu-Junos..

nothing much worthy of the Roland badge IMO
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby Kwaidan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 pm

I just said the name of the thing it's going to be called the Jupiter-80.
Kwaidan
Regular

Postby Stan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Kwaidan wrote:I just said the name of the thing it's going to be called the Jupiter-80.
I see! Thanks Kwaidan. I thought you were 'taking the michael'.
Stan
Regular

Postby Steve Morley » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Well with a name like Jupiter-80 it better be a monster synth! If not I fear they will have lost all credibility ha ha ha
Steve Morley
Poster

Postby Grantsos » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Steve Morley wrote:Unfortunately I have to agree that Roland which was once my ultimate favourite gear makers these days just turns out synths that seem to be aimed at the kiddy market rather than the pro or semi pro musicians/producer. ...
There is a good reason why people are still willing to part with huge amounts of cash for the old Roland gear. Hype alone would have worn off by now!

I general I agree. Sadly. I haven't bought a new Roland device for at least 10 years. They don't listen to pro's IMO.
Grantsos
Regular

Postby keeno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Sounds more like an enthusiastic Roland rep or employee lol

Haha, neither I'm afraid!
keeno
Regular

Postby keeno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Stan wrote:Metamorphosis of a Legend - with a title like that i was expecting a little more info. Or ANY info for that matter. What a waste of someones time.
Come on Roland - more info please.

There is no public info yet, it hasn't been announced. April 6th I believe. Patience...
keeno
Regular

Postby Stan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:30 pm

One mystery is enough for any thread.
Maybe someone could post some pics or specs of this new beast!
Stan
Regular

Postby Steve Morley » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Judging the teaser and whar I've seen on other forums it is likely agoing to be a V big dissapointment. Going on the last few synths they did it is unlikely that all of a sudden they have seen the light and make a REAL synth. A bit like Novation really who just can't get their act together and make a follow up to the Supernova. All you get these days are those cheap nasty plastic 'virtual' bits that just don't cut it. What is wrong with a metal casing, lots of controls, plenty of polyphony, multi timbral synths with plenty of audio outputs?? LOL
Steve Morley
Poster

Next