You are here

Virus KC ... keep or sell?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Virus KC ... keep or sell?

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Tough one this, so I'll let you chaps decide. I'm trying to clear down gear and, tbh, as a second keyboard, my ancient Wavestation is arguably more flexible as the second keyboard will spend 90% of it's time midi'd to the PC3 to drive that.

Pros:

- it looks cool
- knobs galore
- good voice architecture and effects so fun to programme
- it's light and easy to carry about
- it's well built
- built in vocoder ... ;)

Cons:

- I'm not wild about the sound as it's a little harsh
- I find programming it hard work - it takes a lot of effort to sound 'nice'
- playing live is dangerous and I'd hate to break something that costs a bundle to replace (already done that once with the Kurzweil)
- I just don't feel any attachment to it (but then maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance)
- it's another keyboard laying around and I'm getting used to the idea of NOT constantly tripping over synths...

;)
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Virus KC ... keep or sell?

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:13 pm

I've only ever sold two pieces of equipment; a TR707 which took up space and never got used and KPR77 which I obtained from a friend and it never got used. I don't regret it, although the 707 has increased in price over the years, not hugely so unlike the 808. So, I'm not the one to ask! However, it seems like if you don't like the sound, then sell it and use the money elsewhere. Replace it with a Nord Lead 2, which has a similar amount of knobs and a softer sound!
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Re: Virus KC ... keep or sell?

Postby Darclinc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi,

I don't know about the "harshness" you describe. I've got a Virus C Indigo 2 Redback and I've found that it can be very harsh but also very subtle, dependent on how you program it.

For what it's worth, I will NEVER sell my Virus C. It's my bread and butter hardware synth and I love it above all other synths I own / have owned.

That being said, if you're not using it / don't like it .....

D.
Darclinc
Regular