You are here

Help choosing an 49 note controller (for use with Logic soft synths, Reason etc)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Help choosing an 49 note controller (for use with Logic soft synths, Reason etc)

Postby Pip » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Finally moving away from using my Korg Triton and main keyboard input with my Novation 25 sat atop it.

But I didn't realize there were so many controllers at the same price range i.e. $400-$500

I will use the controller for playing most stuff into Logic and using the pots/encoders/pads and slider for controlling soft synths (I have Mackie Controller and Exander for controlling everything else in Logic).

So anyone know the pro-vs-cons between the Novation 49 SL MII, the Akai Professional MPK49 and the Axiom Pro 49?

TO throw a spanner in my thinking, the Artuiria Analog Experience is almost tempting too..! ;-)
Pip
Poster

Re: Help choosing an 49 note controller (for use with Logic soft synths, Reason etc)

Postby Big_al » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Go for the Novation the Automap software is priceless, you just click on a plugin and all the pots and sliders are automatically allocated instantly to that plugin and you even get a heads up display on your screen to show what parameters the pots/sliders are controlling. It's a no brainer really you get more time being creative and less time messing around allocating pots and sliders.
Big_al
Regular

Re: Help choosing an 49 note controller (for use with Logic soft synths, Reason etc)

Postby Pip » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks - does anyone have any experience using Axiom's HyperControl - trying to compare actual ease of use (i.e. in the background as much as possible) compared to Automap.
Pip
Poster

Postby InactiveX » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:47 am

I love Novation Automap too. So quick and easy.
InactiveX
Regular

Postby DAGGILARR » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:15 am

I have an Axion 49 just the basic model and I have found it impossible to use the controller functions in Logic the pro models may be better but unless they have addressed Logic compatibility Novation looks like best bet
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.