You are here

Roland Jupiter 80 demo

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland Jupiter 80 demo

Postby keeno » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Just got an email about this - for anyone in the London/South East area who's interested I thought I'd share. Roland are doing a free demo evening in Guildford to show off the Jupiter 80 before it's launched. I'm expecting a torrent of abuse now as I know a lot of people are moaning about the price and the use of the Jupiter "brand" but hey ho someone might care ! Info below:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid858/roland-jupiter-80-exclusive-demo-night-14th-july-at-730pm.asp
keeno
Regular

Re: Roland Jupiter 80 demo

Postby keeno » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Really? Nobody interested in this after all the talk on these forums when it was announced? Just me then
keeno
Regular

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm

if that's not enough excitement for people, there is always this

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,
Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby Dave B » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:58 am

If it were another night I might be interested, but there's something on the telly that night.

I'd consider going if only to abuse some Roland staff about the flagrant denigration of the Jupiter name ...

Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Slasher » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm washing my hair.
Slasher
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm trimming my toenails

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby johnny h » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 am

Did you find anyone to go to this?
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:50 am

keeno wrote:I know a lot of people are moaning about the price and the use of the Jupiter "brand" but hey ho someone might care ! Info below:

Which only shows that some of SOS's reviews are based upon opinion rather than fact, as not even SOS had any extended time to properly demo/review the Jupiter80. I bought SOS to specifically read the review of the Jupiter, that very review simply confirmed why I no longer have a subscription to SOS any more.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby arkieboy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:05 am

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:
Which only shows that some of SOS's reviews are based upon opinion rather than fact, as not even SOS had any extended time to properly demo/review the Jupiter80.

errrrrm...

In the review I read, Gordon Reid said...

Gordon Reid wrote:
What’s more, these comparisons weren’t against dim recollections of how a JP8 sounded when I heard one in a shop in Middlesbrough on a soggy afternoon in 1982... I placed my Jupiter 8 next to the Jupiter 80 and compared them directly. Of course there were differences, but in a blind test of some brass and string patches, I couldn’t tell which synth was generating which.

and

Gordon Reid wrote:I’m relieved that Roland let me have the pre‑release Jupiter 80 for such an extended period, because at the start of this review I couldn’t understand why they had designed such a strange synth

... doesn't sound either subjective or rushed to me

Did you pick up a copy of 'Future Music' by mistake?

Steve
arkieboy
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:10 am

I thought it was an over generous review - having had one on loan for a week, it's a pile of dog do do.... Well - it's not crap, but it is completely pointless.

1. For the snobs - it's a VA... so who cares?
2. For the workers - there are plenty of other more attractive options .... Dave smith anyone?

Not taken by it at all - purely based on sound. It's "okay". It ain't great and, no matter what the review says, it's about as convincing as the digital space echoes. Oh and it's about £800 overpriced..... a really odd move for Roland.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby danbroad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:44 pm

caution... Armchair opinions ahead...

My first thoughts on the Jupiter were similar to many others. It's probably very decent, but Yamaha own this area of the market. The Motif is still the workstation to see on tours, stages and videos. As for the Motif, It doesn't do multiple synthesis models, or physical modelling. It doesn't look like an old iMac or bygone discrete-circuit flagship, have wooden sides, or pretend to replace a rack full of analogue synths. ...but it does produce the goods, night after night, without fanfare or fuss. Musicians know it, just like they know a Strat or a Marshall stack.

Though I'd like to be proven wrong, I can't help but predict lacklustre sales: and for all the might of Korg and Roland, it'll still lag behind the Motif where it counts, which is in the parent company wallet.

Korg's direction is surely the most interesting: the resurrection of the mainstream analogue synth, which after the monotron and monotribe, can't be far away. A simple keyboard one osc mono synth with the MS20 filter is a hot ticket and Korg should know it after the positive response of the earlier stuff, and the renewed Market for MFB, Dave Smith, Moog et al.
danbroad
New here

Postby Tranztek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:30 am

I have tried the Jupiter 80 and can say it does sound great. The power is in the layering and to me it is the 1st instrument in a loooonnng time that Ive sat down at and found inspiration quickly.
Tranztek
Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:40 pm

With regards to the VA Synthesis side to the JP80, does anyone know if a stripped down version will be (or is already) available that will be that of the JP80?

I read the review and this is the only bit that interests me...

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
www.peterconnelly.com

Postby SynthGeorge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Sorry guys, I have now spent time with both Roland Jupiter 80 and Korg Kronos and, as everyone else it would seem, I just don't get the Roland and would love a Kronos. The Jupiter does not make sense.. If it had an 88 note weighted action you could argue that the supernatural pianos and vintage keyboard sounds would cover the price tag and the vintage synth sounds is a serious addition. They have totally missed the market, give me knobs and faders and a synth action.. or give me weighted action and amazing replicas of Wurlitzer, Rhodes, Clavinet.... or both!

Korg Kronos kicks ass!

I've got a Nord Piano 88 which is amazing and if I had the cash I would get a Prophet 08 because of its raw sound and controllers.

Sorry Roland... you've missed a serious opportunity.
SynthGeorge

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:00 pm

SynthGeorge wrote:Sorry guys, I have now spent time with both Roland Jupiter 80 and Korg Kronos and, as everyone else it would seem, I just don't get the Roland and would love a Kronos. The Jupiter does not make sense.. If it had an 88 note weighted action you could argue that the supernatural pianos and vintage keyboard sounds would cover the price tag and the vintage synth sounds is a serious addition. They have totally missed the market, give me knobs and faders and a synth action.. or give me weighted action and amazing replicas of Wurlitzer, Rhodes, Clavinet.... or both!

Korg Kronos kicks ass!

I've got a Nord Piano 88 which is amazing and if I had the cash I would get a Prophet 08 because of its raw sound and controllers.

Have to agree here...
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:13 pm

SynthGeorge wrote:Korg Kronos kicks ass!

The Kronos sound-set isn't a patch on the Roland G-series, it doesn't even come close.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Being a longtime Roland fan (who has always found Korgs underwhelming), I want to believe that the G-series Fantoms are better than the Kronos. And Chorlton always has good advice. But the sounds on the Fantom X are such a disappointment that while I'm looking forward to trying out the Kronos, I'm hardly feel like bothering with the Fantom G and the Juno 80. Chorlton, how much better would you say the G is over the X? (You don't work for Roland, right?)
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Dishpan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:49 pm

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/hardware-software/hardware/synthesizers-midi-controllers-hardware/roland-fantom-x-series-vs-roland-fantom-g-series-274291/

http://www.audioneeds.com/forums/showthread.php?669-Roland-Fantom-X-series-VS.-Roland-Fantom-G-series

Have to say I personally agree with much of the user comments in those two threads; the G sounded WORSE (at least the factory banks) than the X when I A/B them (I also owned an X), although the G has a lot of extra functionality!

The Kronos is in a completely different league (in a good way!).

Just my opinion too of course but I feel that at the moment, Roland are bottom of the tree when in comes to romplers (and the Kronos is far more than just that anyway).
Dishpan
Regular

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 am

Scramble wrote:Being a longtime Roland fan (who has always found Korgs underwhelming), I want to believe that the G-series Fantoms are better than the Kronos. And Chorlton always has good advice. But the sounds on the Fantom X are such a disappointment that while I'm looking forward to trying out the Kronos, I'm hardly feel like bothering with the Fantom G and the Juno 80. Chorlton, how much better would you say the G is over the X? (You don't work for Roland, right?)

I work in music but I don't work for Roland, but I did attend the Korg Kronos demo day; if anyone attempts to say that it's better sounding than a Fantom G8 then I'd have to question their sanity/ears. The Korg doesn't come close I'm afraid, but that's only my opinion.

There aren't many stores where you'll have the Fantom, Korg, Motif and Jupiter ALL in stock, at the same time, and ALL available for back-to-back demo; PMT in Brum is one of the few examples. Anyone that questions "Which is better" need only visit that store for an afternoon, play on the keyboards and then decide for themselves.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:40 am

SynthGeorge wrote:If it had an 88 note weighted action you could argue that the supernatural pianos and vintage keyboard sounds would cover the price tag and the vintage synth sounds is a serious addition.

It has "supernatural" across the analogue sounds too, so I question if you've even heard/played it. The Jupiter is a performance synth, not an 88-note controller/workstation, so it'd be daft adding either functionality. As for the price, the designated stock for the UK has almost run out, the next delivery is Jan/Feb, so clearly the end consumer doesn't agree.

SynthGeorge wrote:or give me weighted action and amazing replicas of Wurlitzer, Rhodes, Clavinet.... or both!

It's called the RD700-NX, which has the best piano sounds of any keyboard, save for the V-Piano, and it has the best action of any keyboard.

SynthGeorge wrote:I've got a Nord Piano 88 which is amazing

Any of the last 3 RD generation piano's sound better than the Nord, and almost every RD from the last 10 years has a better action. Nord haven't done anything on the stage piano front for almost 8 years, even down to the point that the action in that Nord is one of the original Fatar actions from the late 90's. Hardly setting the piano world on fire.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:01 am

Anyone know a place in London that has a Kronos and a Fantom G and/or Jupiter 80 in stock? I've got a morning in London free in a few weeks time which I thought I would set aside to trying out the latest keyboards, but with Turnkey gone I'm not sure where to go now. (But is the Kronos even out yet?)
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby John F » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 pm

DV in Romford has 'em all.
John F
Regular

Keyboard player at HyperActive80s band. 

https://www.facebook.com/hyperactive80s/

Current live keyboards - Kurzweil PC3x - Korg Triton Extreme + Moss - Roland JP-8000

Postby Dishpan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:34 pm

> It's called the RD700-NX, which has the best piano sounds of any keyboard

The NX owners I know (a few) who've tried the multi gigabyte piano sounds on the Kronos would disagree!!

> it has the best action of any keyboard.

Isn't this all subjective?
Dishpan
Regular

Postby Bob Moose » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Dishpan wrote:> It's called the RD700-NX, which has the best piano sounds of any keyboard

The NX owners I know (a few) who've tried the multi gigabyte piano sounds on the Kronos would disagree!!

> it has the best action of any keyboard.

Both are subjective, and I think the relationship (or interaction) between the keyboard and the sound is far more important. I saw many people telling "this keyboard is too hard", but after either changing the velocity curve or the sound they said "well actually it's too soft maybe". Of course it's not only about the velocity curve: try to play Ivory VST piano with a Studiologic VMK-88+, for example.
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Dishpan wrote:> It's called the RD700-NX, which has the best piano sounds of any keyboard

I'm not one of them, having tried the Kronos, and the Korg's action isn't even in the same league as the NX. The NX is a stage piano, the Kronos isn't.

Dishpan wrote:> it has the best action of any keyboard.

Everything is subjective, but the general concencus is that Roland have the best action, particularly the NX and the V-Piano. The final return to the neutral position is considerably better than the CP range, and light years ahead of the Korg, and it's that final return that adds to the feel of a well-balanced action.

People tend to choose a camp, be it Roland, Korg, Yamaha etc, but there are some acceptances within music, one of which is that Roland have the best actions.

I play an NX because it's the best stage piano/action, in the same way that I use Ultimate stands, Ernie Ball strings, or anything other accepted leader in its field, not because I'm pro-Roland.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Moose » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:Everything is subjective, but the general concencus is that Roland have the best action, particularly the NX and the V-Piano.

The V-Piano is advertised as a simulation of an acoustic piano, so it should be as close as possible as an actual piano, at least in terms of sound and playing feel, right?

Well for me the V-Piano, to start with, is far easier to play than most acoustic pianos. I don't know if the keys are softer, or if the sound gets brighter more easily, but if you play the V-Piano intensively for one week you may find acoustic pianos much more difficult to play afterwards, with a heavier, slower feeling.
Actually, I played a bit on the V-Piano and really liked its action, but compared to an acoustic piano it's a completely different physical experience.
Of course most stage pianos, clavinovas and the like have this "problem". After all, why make an instrument more difficult to play?

Anyway, even if you choose the most realistic solution (Steinway D action from an actual grand piano put in a "compact" case + best sensors of the world + smart software) then the physical experience will probably be slightly different too.

Current stage pianos or large controllers all offer a radically different experience compared to the acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer or whatever they sometimes aim to simulate, therefore it is not possible to say which one is the best (even for one type of sound). And what is "best" anyway? For me the best with electronic instruments is you can make a lot of things that are simply not possible with other instruments! In this context I would say that there is no best keyboard (they are all potentially interesting). I have 4 MIDI keyboards, and each one is "the best" for a lot of things.

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:People tend to choose a camp, be it Roland, Korg, Yamaha etc, but there are some acceptances within music, one of which is that Roland have the best actions.

This is wrong:

* globally, you do not see more Roland keyboards than other keyboards in concerts, studios, rehearsing rooms and homes

* on Google, if you type "best keyboard", "which keyboard has the best action for xxx?" or "which keyboard is the closest to an acoustic?" then you will find many different answers, including:
> Roland
> Yamaha
> Kawai
> Fatar
> these old Yamaha, Roland or Elka that were discontinued many years ago
> MIDIfied actual acoustic piano action
> they are all crappy
> I prefer the Doepfer PK-88
> it depends on the sound
> etc

And actually if you ask acoustic piano players which piano is the best, they will either say:
> Steinway
> Fazioli
> Bösendorfer
> Yamaha
> Whatever more obscure instrument
> "In my smallish and crappy room, only a Yamaha or Roland stage piano can do it, but fortunately it has dynamic keys and half-pedal"
> early 20th century Erard
> etc

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:there are some acceptances within music

hopefully not

I play an NX because it's the best stage piano/action, in the same way that I use Ultimate stands, Ernie Ball strings, or anything other accepted leader in its field, not because I'm pro-Roland.

It's never easy to find the right gear, so I'm glad you managed to find what is really the best for you. But you have to accept that everybody has different requirements.

Regards
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby Dishpan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:27 am

> I'm not one of them, having tried the Kronos, and the Korg's action isn't even in the same league as the NX. The NX is a stage piano, the Kronos isn't.

You didn't respond to the statement I made at all, instead choosing to change the topic to action. You stated the Roland has the best SOUNDS. I said that the NX owners I know are considering adding a Kronos for the multigigabyte piano libraries it has.
Dishpan
Regular

Postby johnny h » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Roland lost the plot a long time ago. They pretty much make dad-rock keyboards now. Development in synthesis ground to a halt 20 years ago, one or two products excepted.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Dishpan wrote:> I'm not one of them, having tried the Kronos, and the Korg's action isn't even in the same league as the NX. The NX is a stage piano, the Kronos isn't.

You didn't respond to the statement I made at all, instead choosing to change the topic to action. You stated the Roland has the best SOUNDS. I said that the NX owners I know are considering adding a Kronos for the multigigabyte piano libraries it has.

I'd already said that the Supernatural piano's on the Roland range are far better than the Kronos, it just so happens that the action's are better on the Roland range too.

In addition to that, the acoustic intruments on the Jupiter80 use Supernatural too, which puts them in several leagues above the Kronos: the Kronos demo in Birmingham today was a real disappointment.

Finally, look at the buttons on the Kronos: tiny, just what you need in a dimly-lit live environment. A major, major failing on that one aspect alone.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:41 pm

johnny h wrote:Roland lost the plot a long time ago. They pretty much make dad-rock keyboards now. Development in synthesis ground to a halt 20 years ago, one or two products excepted.

Because nobody wants synthesis like that any more, it died a death: that simple market analysis. As for "dad rock", that's just a silly billy comment.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Next