You are here

Choosing a new controller keyboard - Recommendations needed!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Choosing a new controller keyboard - Recommendations needed!

Postby Will_m » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi all, I'm the process of upgrading a few things and have been thinking of getting a nice new controller keyboard. I'm looking for something really simple as I don't particularly need a whole bunch of knobs and faders etc. I'm looking for either 76 or 88 note (some 88's are a tiny bit big on my desk)and something with a decent action, semi weighted or better.

I currently have the EMU Xboard 49 but I've never really liked the keys as they are a bit cheap and light.

Two possible options so far are the Icon Logicon Air or the CME Z-Key 88:

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/icon-logicon-8-air-88-note-midi-controller-keyboard--79100

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cme_z_key_88.htm

Does anyone have any experience with either of these models? I can't find much in the way of reviews on either. I'd also be open to suggestions but I'd like to keep it under £400.
Will_m
Regular

Re: Choosing a new controller keyboard - Recommendations needed!

Postby zenguitar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 am

Not quite as many keys as you want, and I haven't tried it yet, but the E-MU Longboard seems to have a lot in it's favour. Built in sounds from the E-MU library too, and all for less than half your budget.

It might not be what you want, but definitely worth auditioning just to make certain it isn't.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby Will_m » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Cheers Andy I'll try and check it somewhere, I'm not sure the keys will be a whole lot different from what I've already got though. Any other suggestions people?
Will_m
Regular

Postby hollowsun » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 pm

In your travels, be a little wary of the M-Audio Keystation 88ES.

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice enough, no frills controller for a low price but the claim that it has a semi weighted keyboard action is, shall we say, a little over-ambitious!!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Will_m » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:49 am

hollowsun wrote:In your travels, be a little wary of the M-Audio Keystation 88ES.

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice enough, no frills controller for a low price but the claim that it has a semi weighted keyboard action is, shall we say, a little over-ambitious!!

That's what worrying me about a lot of them is that the description of semi weighted etc doesn't seem to mean anything. I'm not in a position to try many of them so I'm just shooting in the dark a little.
Will_m
Regular

Postby uphillbothways » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:24 am

I haven't tried the CME Z-key, but I absolutely love their UF-series semi-weighted keybed. CME seem to be marketing the Z-key as having an improved action over their other controllers; If that's the case, I wouldn't hesitate.
uphillbothways
Regular

Postby Will_m » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 am

uphillbothways wrote:I haven't tried the CME Z-key, but I absolutely love their UF-series semi-weighted keybed. CME seem to be marketing the Z-key as having an improved action over their other controllers; If that's the case, I wouldn't hesitate.

That's very helpful, thanks. Can I ask which UF series you have, as the 88 key is listed as weighted and all the others are semi.
Will_m
Regular