You are here

Sound opposite to Virus & Voyager?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Sound opposite to Virus & Voyager?

Postby Murdoch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:12 am

Greetings!

I believe an arsenal of varied good quality sounds is most important when making music.
So far I've only got me an Alesis Micron (sold the Little Phatty Stage II) looking to upgrade to a Moog Voyager and Access Virus (might sell the Micron as Virus will cover its sound-field).

Can anyone recommend me a 3rd synth that'll sound completely the opposite of both the Voyager and Virus?

Thanks
Murdoch
Regular

Re: Sound opposite to Virus & Voyager?

Postby SecretSam » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Waldorf BloJob: thinner sound, very much like the old Microwaves, very different-sounding filter

If you can bear to think in VST terms, try NI's FM8 for brittle, glassy, err .... shininess.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Murdoch » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:10 am

SecretSam wrote:Waldorf BloJob: thinner sound, very much like the old Microwaves, very different-sounding filter

If you can bear to think in VST terms, try NI's FM8 for brittle, glassy, err .... shininess.
lol BloJob?

Doesn't the Blofeld sound like the Access Virus or Alesis Micron?

Already have FM7/8. Love it.
Murdoch
Regular

Postby Dave B » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:20 am

I'd also recommend the Blofeld as something different. It will give you access to digital waves which are quite different to the ones in the Micron and Virus. And it's cheap, doesn't take up much room and is great VFM.

Or you could be a masochist and go for an old Yamaha TX (s/h) of some type - the TX81Z should be dirt cheap, but an 802 would be more desirable. These were the best that FM had to offer at the time.

Or .. invest in a hardware sampler! Hours of fun and you could do all sorts of weird stuff with it. Get one with good filters (Emax II, Ensoniq EPS16, Roland S760, etc) and you are laughing.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 am

Get yourself an old preset monosynth with aftertouch, and a stringer. I also second the old FM and old hardware sampler suggestions - you could add almost any quirky 80s digital to that list I think - or hybrids like the Bit, or DW-8000 etc.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby BJG145 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:19 am

Dave B wrote:Or .. invest in a hardware sampler! Hours of fun

I beg to differ...hours of unnecessary hassle more like....

(OK, I do like my K2000 though.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby fay spook » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:00 pm

How about a Casio? A CZ for a slightly noisy variation of FM or a VZ for another. I can recommend the VZs for their sort of "plastic" sound and great bass sounds.

If you want to get fed up programming try a Kawai K5000. Additive BTW and capable of some outrageous sounds.
fay spook
Regular

Postby Murdoch » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:14 pm

I was in fact thinking of vintage synths. Though I'm really after a synth that sound completely different from Moog and Virus. Seems most synths are just variants of the two. If that makes sense.
Murdoch
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Well the Moog is a pretty good analogue mono and the Virus does a lot. What else do you want? All the synths mentioned above will sound different, but you might not know what those differences are until you buy one and use it for a while. All the recommendations are good in their own ways.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby Murdoch » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:51 am

nathanscribe wrote:Well the Moog is a pretty good analogue mono and the Virus does a lot. What else do you want? All the synths mentioned above will sound different, but you might not know what those differences are until you buy one and use it for a while. All the recommendations are good in their own ways.
I appreciate all the recommendations. Maybe I should elaborate more. I'm sure I'll notice the differences in these synths as a music enthusiast. BUT, I'm thinking these differences are minor. Especially to the average none-audiophile listener.

With that being said I'm looking into all the synths mentioned.
Murdoch
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:28 am

There is a point to be made about whether or not an average listener would be able to tell the difference between a vintage Moog and an iPad app (and my guess is that many wouldn't and even is they did they likely wouldn't care too much), but that's a separate issue to an artist using tools.

I make my best work when I know the tools I'm using intuitively, thoroughly and am able to select which I use in order to get the thing I want - and the other side of that is that I love to play and experiment with them, so they throw up things I find inspiring. For some that would be software, for others hardware - for some 80s digital, others a good comprehensive modern hybrid modular. Finding your tools is one aspect of trying different kit.

In terms of sound, my own experience is that I've latched on to things sometimes unexpectedly despite expecting very little from the demos I'd heard, and other things I thought I'd like ended up being a burden to work with despite loving the sound. So the sound you think you know from a demo or someone else's track is only part of the equation. It's how you interact with it and what that makes you do with the sound that matters.

Once you get to know a synth very well, there are clear differences that you may or may not care about - I can tell the difference between my samplers, my drum machines, my stringers, my monosynths, my DCO polys... because I know them. Until you know your equipment, you're guessing.

Also, you haven't yet got the Virus or Voyager, so I'd perhaps spend a little time with those before looking to complement them. On purely practical grounds though, I don't believe the Virus is a ROMpler so you might benefit from something that does regular piano, strings or what have you.

My 2p.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:34 am

Yes - the differences are minor because both use the same fundamental way of generating sound - one has actual analogue oscillators, the other has models of them, but both go osc-filter-amp with some nice modulation, envelopes and LFOs along the way. Pretty much all vintage (pre-80s) synths were this way apart from a few very esoteric exceptions.

You need to start looking at synths post-1983 as that is when the big digital revolution started. The DX7 was the start of that - I'd be looking for a MkII (or the rack mount = TX802 as I suggested) as it was a better sound. Other, excellent suggestions are posted above.

Or, if you want to stay with the 'vintage' theme and get something really different, you could try tracking down a Polyvoks!!

Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Zukan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Roland XV5080......very different to what you have.
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses