You are here

Dying Proteus 2500 - Please help!!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Dying Proteus 2500 - Please help!!

Postby Moroccomoose » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 pm

I have a Proteus 2500 which keeps re-booting on its own accord, but then not actually getting through the boot sequence...
My thought is that I might need to re-install the OS. I went to the E-Mu website, but the old download page for the proteus is no there anymore. The support on the site does not seem to extend to legacy E-MU gear.

I need to get my hands on the eloader and the most recent OS (Both used to be freely available on the old e-mu site) I can't remember if therer was another program youu needed to install the OS via USB....

In any case, can anyone help???

Are the downloads available anywhere else?

Cheers

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Re: Dying Proteus 2500 - Please help!!

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Have a look through these links, not promising reults though.

http://www.synthzone.com/emu.htm
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/p2k/
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Dog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Moose,

First, make sure your roms are seated properly in the unit especially if you've had the cover off having a poke around. (also inspect the slots for any bent connectors) Second send me a pm with your email addy and I will send you both eloader and the dli file for 2.26. I've got a fully stuffed p2k and I still love it, so I know how I'd feel if I was experiencing what you're going through.

Cheers,
Dog
Dog
Poster
Just for the record, I was there in 77, Han DID shoot first.

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks for your posts chaps!

Richie, yes, I had previously found those pages but sadly to no avail.. But there some good stuff there non the less should I get up and running again, it is a good resource.

Dog, Brilliant!! A PM is winging its way now!

I am currently waiting for a responce from the E-MU support to see if they can help. I'll post if the send anything useful.

Thanks again fellas!

Moose.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby forumuser695516 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am

If the new firmware doesn't sort it, then i'd wager dying caps in the power supply are responsible. They don't last forever, and microprocessors won't boot, or will become unstable once they stop receiving a stable power supply.
Should be a quick, cheap and easy fix for someone thats handy with a soldering iron.
(I've never fixed one of these, but numerous electronic gadgets behave similarly when this happens, and can often be fixed in much the same way)
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:20 pm

OK Folks,

Thansk for your input and help folks.

Cheers Dog, got your email, I'll try the new OS tonight.

Paul, now you mention popped caps, I did get that ominous 'popped cap' smell in my studio a few weeks ago, but didn't find from where. It could be around the time things started to play up...Hmm Could only be cicumstantial evidence! However I took a look at the power supply and could see no evidence of burnt out caps. I accept it might need a proper looking by someone with more knowledge than me weilding a multi meter!! That said, I put it all back together and it seems to be behaving??!! I hope this hasn't been a case of a badly connected power cord

fingers crossed, with the new OS, all will be smooth runnings.

Thanks again folks!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 am

Well I nearly dropped my bacon sandwich!!!! The E-MU support came back to me with a link to a drop box location with the files I need and more... Amazing. (I virus scanned and checked the content and nothing sinister to report)

I now have OS, manuals, sysexs and bank files etc etc for my proteus 2k5, proteus 2k, Mophatt, MP7, Proteus 1,2 & 3 and proteus ultra.

Apparently the legacy page is under reconstruction but with no timetable for its completion. But it goes to show that its true what we say up north..."Shy bairns get nowt".. or in english..if you don't ask, you don't get.

If anyone else needs to get to the E-MU support about legacy stuff, just get to support request form through the support page for another product and tell them the product you wanted support for wasn't listed.

Dog, I tried the 2k OS, but it didn't work, it needs to be the command station OS, but I think I have everything now.

Cheers to all!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 pm

I'm glad you have got it sorted out.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby tee9 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:29 am

Moroccomoose wrote:Well I nearly dropped my bacon sandwich!!!! The E-MU support came back to me with a link to a drop box location with the files I need and more... Amazing. (Stu.

Hi there - I contacted EMU last month asking for the same, but no response.

Any chance you could send over the link please, or make files available?

Cheers

TC
tee9
New here

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:08 am

Yes, no worries TC, PM me and I'll send em through.

I've since found a load of sites with all the support you need. If you search 'command station' rather than 'Proteus 2500' there is loads of stuff, and it uses the same OS and eloader etc.

http://tarekith.com/assets/CommandStationFAQv203.htm
http://www.facebook.com/pages/E-MU-Command-Station/107841972638983
http://vst.hotelsinus.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/emu-command-station

Cheers
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:38 pm

In case any one is still looking:

http://www.creative.com/emu/support/downloads/legacy/welcome.aspx

looks like they finally put the legacy support back :-)

Alls well that ends well!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Viktor Egoroff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi! I have a problem with my Proteus 2500u. I can not update the OS. I have v 1.31. When I try to download the E-Loader file command200.dli, he wrote The item selected is not a valid file. If you can, send me the files that you sent from EMU. Thank you!
ermar62@gmail.com
Viktor Egoroff