You are here

Recommendations for sound modules

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Recommendations for sound modules

Postby grab » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm getting somewhat hacked off with the onboard sounds on my YouRock synth guitar. I'm making it work, but I'm rapidly coming to the end of what I can get out of its sounds (which are basic to say the least), so I'm looking for a sound module that I can jack a MIDI cable into. I'm short enough of room in the car as it is, so it can't be anything with a keyboard on it - rackmount modules only. And I'm philosophically opposed to taking a laptop around with me, partly bcos I don't entirely trust them live, but more bcos I know what its life expectancy would be like if I'm gigging it.

Our other guitarist has a Roland guitar synth which does nice horn and string sounds, so he typically takes them. That leaves me with the more interesting two-handed parts, which are standard piano, occasionally electric piano and Hammond, and 80s synth stuff like "Summer of 69" and "Ain't nobody". I have reasonable FX (and more usefully I know how to use it to get what I want) so what I'm missing is some decent sounds to start with. Trouble is, I don't know that much about synths and all that side of things, so I have no idea what's good and what sucks. The only thing I know is that mono synths are out, bcos that isn't what I'm doing.

I'm trying to keep it to £200 or less. Looking on eBay, the Roland JV1010 seems like a good call, not least for being conveniently small. Also the rest of that family - JV1080, and the later XV2020 and co. Reviews look good too. What else should I be considering?

I should make it clear that I'm only after *one* sound module to do the lot. Unless anyone has recommendations for some £50 box which does one thing but does it brilliantly, in which case I can probably roll it in there. A massive rack of synths is definitely out though!
grab
Frequent Poster

Re: Recommendations for (2nd hand) sound modules

Postby The Korff » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Korg Triton?

Or you could go for one of those 'VST in a box' thingies, like the Muse Receptor.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Re: Recommendations for (2nd hand) sound modules

Postby grab » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Sorry Chris, editted to say what my budget was while you were posting. The Korg Triton and the Muse jobbie are well outside that budget, I'm afraid!

Maybe if I end up being some hardcore synth guy as a result of this, I'll look at that kind of stuff. Until then though, this is more like a sideline to my guitar-playing, and it'll get budgetted accordingly.
grab
Frequent Poster

Re: Recommendations for sound modules

Postby Scramble » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Any Roland JV or XV module will have more than enough great sounds for you.

The JV1010 is fine, but a bit hissy and not very user-friendly, although the latter doesn't matter so much if you just want to use the stock sounds.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:41 am

I'd go for the XV5050 (in fact I did!) as it gives you the XV engine, is a 1u size (and shallow), has USB so you can edit from a computer and, most importantly, it has a proper power lead and not a wall wart - much more convenient for the gigging musician!

Cheap as chips these days (one with no bids on fleaBay for 150quid at the mo) and sound ok (imho)
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:27 am

One of the Kurzweil K2x00 rack modules would be high on my agenda. Make sure it has some sample RAM and you have a machine that can turn its hand to just about anything you're likely to need.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby grab » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks guys - all good stuff.

Like I said, I'm starting pretty much from scratch, so I'm not after perfection - just some basic workhorse kit that won't let me down. Suspect it's going to end up being one of the Rolands. Kurzweil probably would be good, but they're going for a bit more, and I don't want to blow the budget too much. This might seem skinflint when these things were £3k new and are now £300-400, but then I'm from Lancashire and we only open our wallets to clean out the moths.

My current contract is just coming to an end next week, which is a bummer for buying stuff when a sensible person should be saving the pennies. But I've got an interview on Wed which looks promising. So I might just be getting myself a welcome-to-the-new-contract prezzie from eBay, whatever happens to be going at the right kind of price in a week or two. I love new toys...
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby Popup » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 pm

I think you are on the right path. The JV1010 is the way to go. Full to the brim with pretty amazing and inspiring patches and room for an expansion card of your choice from quite an extensive and quality library too. Only one quarter the size of a JV1080 too.

I have A/B's the 1010 and 1080 extensively and I can assure you that it sounds exactly the same. A bargain in my book.

All the best and good luck.
Popup
Regular

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:49 am

grab wrote:That leaves me with the more interesting two-handed parts, which are standard piano, occasionally electric piano and Hammond, and 80s synth stuff like "Summer of 69" and "Ain't nobody".

Go for an XV2020, which is sonically far better than the older JV range, and then look for the SRX Ultimate Keys or Studio: if you look hard enough you should get both for around £200, you'll have the best electric pianos/strings/hammond available this side of a Kronos or G-series Fantom.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:05 pm

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:.. an XV2020, which is sonically far better than the older JV range,

QFT! When I first got my 5050, it was like chalk and cheese. The XV engine actually delivers what the JV engine promised. In fact, I thought it sounded great and then realised that the previous owner had globally disabled the effects. Very nice.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)