You are here

Good analog synth for 'phat' basslines?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Good analog synth for 'phat' basslines?

Postby JSexton » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:38 am

Anyone know of a mono analog synth that would be good for producing 'phat' basslines, at a reasonable price (~£400) and that would sound good on electronica/dance recordings etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
JSexton

Re: Good analog synth for 'phat' basslines?

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Hmmm... let's gloss over that dreadful 'p' word.

If you're serious about analogue monosynths then the classics are truly where it's at. Roland's SH-09 is a capable synth that should arrive within your budget. Although it has only one oscillator, it does have a fixed-tuned 'sub-oscillator' that will get down under the floorboards.

The SH-101 is also staple Roland bass-food, though bringing one in for less than 400 pounds will be a tough call.

My personal favourite bass synth remains the Sequential Pro-One, but you'd need to double the budget to guarantee a decent example.

Of course, any of the above synths will require a MIDI/CV interface if you want to run them from a sequencer, but if you're happy to play the parts freehand they also have their own keyboards.

There has been a small rash of new analogue monosynths in recent times, including the diminutive Dave Smith Mopho. Although it's quite basic in many ways it certainly has a great sound - and MIDI. There are both desktop and keyboard versions, though the keyboard version heads beyond your budget.

If you'd consider blowing the budget completely I'd be looking at the Moog Little (I hate to even type it!) Phatty. Awful, name, fabulous sound!

HTH!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:02 pm

What he said basically.. Shame everything is so over priced now, the Realistic MG-1 was pretty sweet and 101's could of been picked up for 300 no problem even a year ago

DX FM synths can also give you a good bass sound, think 90's rave bass if you are after that kind of thing
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Does it have to be vintage? The Vermona mono Lancet is supposed to be pretty good, and SoS gave it a positive review..
www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct10/articles ... lancet.htm
(And it's in budget)
I have a Doepfer Dark Energy, which is kinda similar. But the Lancet is supposedly better for bass.
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm surprised nobody mentioned This

They are cracking little synths and so far seem to have escaped the ridiculous price brigade... you can still find them for a couple of hundred quid which makes them a 3-Oscillator, 4-pole filter analogue bargain in my book

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Depends what you are after and what the op defines as "phat"

The Pulse is great but it's very in your face, super loud and shouty, she needs to be tamed and it's all in managing the OSC levels to getting a softer perhaps more Rolandy' tone (If you are so inclined)
The DSI Mo'Pho had a similar vibe going on from memory

At the end of the day it's all down to taste. As great as the Pulse was and I never doubted it's abilities at pumping out those low bass notes cos it did with a vengeance I didn't really like it.

I think the idea of recommending a synth for PHAT bass is stupid, every one has a different definition of what phat is or what sounds good. Simply put a lot of synths will be good for bass but finding one that suits you is another thing
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Nagle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:35 am

Vermona Mono Lancet - nothing quite so Moogy outside a vintage Moog, which makes it quite wonderful for bass.
Paul Nagle
Regular

Postby Zukan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Roland SH3a is one that is very underrated....
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:02 am

Don't tell me that - I sold mine for £50 many years ago

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 am

Martin Walker wrote:Don't tell me that - I sold mine for £50 many years ago

Martin

Nooooooooooooooooooo lol

Even the SH-1000 is still pretty groovy
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Hope the OP realities having an SH101 that can shake your house down in isolation is one thing but try recording and mixing a record like that is a total other.

Your gonna need a fully treated room, good monitoring and a good sub. Id say a few grand up to five grand there, and we haven't even bough the synth yet.

Of course you could always hire an engineer to mix down for you for a few hundred quid. Not some 18 year old in a bedroom that just bought a laptop with a cracked version of Reason 6 either. Im talking a proper treated studio with great monitoring and a sub etc. Say up to 450 quid a track depending on the calabor of the engineer and kit used/hired.

Remember:- Power is nothing without control! It isn't as simply as whacking up the sub osc on a Juno 6 and there you go instant fat (sorry, im in my 30s and cant get away with "ph"at) bass on your track. Mixing bass has to be one of the hardest parts of mixing to master.

People think because puff daddy or 50 pence has heavy bass on his track and he used an MPC60 then the 60 rocks. It doesn't, the engineer who recorded that on puff daddys pay role rocks big time.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby flo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Maybe this?

moog minitaur
flo
Regular

Postby blackmagicdisco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 am

Studio Electronics ATC-1... might have to get one on ebay from an American seller, but it is insanely phat and you can get filter cartridges for emulate all the classic synth filters like Moog, ARP etc etc
blackmagicdisco
Regular

Postby blackmagicdisco » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 am

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/atc1.php

trust me I had one of these things and wish id never sold it
blackmagicdisco
Regular