You are here

Problems with Arpeggiator in MIDI setup

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Problems with Arpeggiator in MIDI setup

Postby Pootle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

I have a Roland JX-305 synth which I'm using as part of my MIDI setup and am trying to figure out how to get the arpeggiator and other controls (i.e. cutoff/frequency etc.) to work in this setup. The JX synth is not my master keyboard, but is daisy-chained from the master keyboard via MIDI Thru. Are there some settings that I need to make to enable the JX's arpeggiator etc. to work and be recorded into my sequencing software? Any help much appreciated, thanks.
Pootle

Re: Problems with Arpeggiator in MIDI setup

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Pootle -

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do. Are you trying to record the arpeggiated sequence as MIDI data (not sure whether or not the JX-305 outputs this information), or simply trigger arpeggiated sequences from single notes (should be simpler). Or do you need to be able to control the arpeggiator function from the sequencer...?
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Pootle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi BJG145

Thanks for your reply. Want I want to do is to firstly get the arpeggiator to work! I've followed the instructions in the manual, but when I play a chord on the synth's keyboard, no arpeggiator sounds - I just get the chord I played. The manual is written for using the synth as a stand alone synth (i.e. not as part of a MIDI setup), so I am guessing that it won't work due to my setup, or that I need to change some onboard settings perhaps.

The second thing I want to do (once I've got the arpeggiator working) is to send and 'record' the arpeggiated sound into my sequencer (atari with cubase), but not sure if this is possible. Alternatively, I could get round this by sampling it if its not possible to record the MIDI data.

Hope this helps - thanks.
Pootle

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:44 pm

The MIDI arpeggiator will send info, but only from the MIDI OUT. (You may need to set something in the Jx to transmit note data)
The MIDI In and Thru Ports are just for relaying info unchanged.
If you want to send arpeggiated notes to the Atari, you will need the MIDI out(Of the JX) to MIDI In of the Atari. You will also want to set the JX to transmit MIDI clock and for the Atari to follow it.
If you only have one MIDI input on the Atari then you will need to replug cables whilst recordings of use the JX as your master keyboard

Hope this helps

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Pootle wrote:Want I want to do is to firstly get the arpeggiator to work! I've followed the instructions in the manual, but when I play a chord on the synth's keyboard, no arpeggiator sounds.
Hmm...OK, so first of all, if you unhook it from the computer and plug in some headphones, and press the ARP button, does it light up...? If you hold it down while pressing INC or DEC, do you see the different arp styles like "Strumming" and "Random"...? And if you have one of these two selected while the indicator is lit, do you just get a simple chord with no arp effect...?

If the answer to that last one is "yes", I'd try a factory reset.

"Press UTILITY. Use PAGE </> to select Factory Preset and press ENTER. Use PAGE </>
to select ALL and press ENTER twice."
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Pootle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Many thanks for your help. As I only have one MIDI in on my atari, I've swapped my keyboards over to make the JX the master and everything works great now. I just have to match up the BPMs between the JX and the sequencer and all is good - arpeggiator etc. now work perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to reply and your help is much appreciated .... cheers.
Pootle

Postby Chevytraveller » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:08 pm

If you get your software on the Atari (Cubase, Notator?) to slave to MIDI clock and get the JX to transmit MIDI clock, you won't have to bother with the BPM matching as the Atari will follow whatever the JX is set to

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease