You are here

Yamaha motif 6 classic strange problem

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Yamaha motif 6 classic strange problem

Postby mick.n » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Hello all, i have posted this query on a couple of yamaha forums & thought i would put it here too. I have owned this yamaha Motif 6 "classic" since 2003 with no issues, but a few weeks ago pressing certain panel buttons causes unusual behaviour.

2 examples of this strange behaviour are.....
If i am in song mode & press the “Category search” button to find a voice,the motif jumps to “pattern mode”. If i press the track 7 select button the motif jumps into “File mode”.

The button switches that cause the problems are limited to the last 12 switches on the right hand switch board. (PLG2, PLG3,Category search,G,H,Section,7,8,Track select,15,16,Mute\Solo). In the diagnostic test mode these switches show as "NG" (no good)

All other panel switches are fine & show normal behaviour when pressed.

I contacted my nearest yamaha service dept & the engineer mentioned that he had not heard of this sort of problem with the motif, but he suggested that the tact switches could be the problem. I ordered 12 of these switches & replaced them yesterday, but the problem persists.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the motif?

Any comments welcomed!
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Re: Yamaha motif 6 classic strange problem

Postby mick.n » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:34 am

Just to update this in case anyone else has this problem. It was suggested by yamaha service dept that it could be a hairline crack in the panel button circuit board. I ordered a replacement PCB & fitted it....it cured the problem & all is working fine now. :)
mick.n
Frequent Poster