You are here

Ensoniq SQ80 / ESQ-1 question

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Ensoniq SQ80 / ESQ-1 question

Postby Kolakube » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Anyone know if there is or ever has been a mod made that will allow the 8 parts to be outputted to separate outs. Much like the one for the TR-606.

(oh, thanks but please don't recommend me the VTS version )
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: Ensoniq SQ80 / ESQ-1 question

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Don't remember that one ... I have hazy recollections of expanders for outputs, but I think that that was for the EPS samplers, not the early synths.

The only way I did that was to mute the parts in the sequencer and run them to tape.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Dave_Bee » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:25 pm

I seem to recall there are 8 output/voice signal paths which get merged into one. Also I suspect there might be a problem with which output channel gets used when new notes are played.

Meaning: if you were to play a mono synth every note should go through circuit #1. But if you were to play two notes using a poly synth, they probably use sound circuits #1 and #2. Hence if you were to play a 3 note chord, sound circuits #1, #2 & #3 gets used. I would think this type of voice allocation makes it impossible to have just the one synth sound coming out of one "port"

I could be totally wrong.
Dave_Bee
Poster

Postby A. AuCr » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:20 pm

I recall there being an output expander for the somewhat contemporaneous Mirage sampler, but don't remember ever hearing of one for the ESQ1.

Looking at the analog section schematics at Butchy's ESQ1/SQ80 page it appears that it might be possible to build one, but I'm certainly not about to experiment on mine... And as noted above, it's quite likely it does some kind of round-robin allocation of voice generators.

That said, I DO like the VST, it seems quite faithful to the actual item, at least to my ears. Any differences between them have been too subtle for my thick ears to catch with an A/B.
A. AuCr
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:43 pm

RobU wrote:I recall there being an output expander for the somewhat contemporaneous Mirage sampler, but don't remember ever hearing of one for the ESQ1.

I don't think it exists either. There was one for the EPS (which I had), but no others I recall.

RobU wrote:That said, I DO like the VST, it seems quite faithful to the actual item, at least to my ears. Any differences between them have been too subtle for my thick ears to catch with an A/B.

Kola has a 'thing' about virtual instruments - only the real thing will do here!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Reiknir » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:45 am

Kolakube wrote:Anyone know if there is or ever has been a mod made that will allow the 8 parts to be outputted to separate outs. Much like the one for the TR-606.

(oh, thanks but please don't recommend me the VTS version )

Yes, there was, it was basically the same as the Mirage output mod (search the net), since the output sections were basically identical, fairly simple to do but like the mirage one not often seen.
Reiknir
Regular

Postby Reiknir » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Reiknir
Regular

Postby Kolakube » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Sorry guys for late reply, dont get on the net much these days

Elf - Yup, if its virtual I want nothing to do with it thanks. I must be one of a very few people who does not use a computer at all for any aspect of music production. Never been happier and never been more productive.

Reiknir - Great info mate. Thanks for the link.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Kolakube wrote:Never been happier and never been more productive.
Great stuff! Glad you've found a system that works for you.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Kolakube » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Defiantly mate. So there is fuel for many more debates to come
Kolakube
Frequent Poster