You are here

MIDI Question

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

MIDI Question

Postby Steviecycle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi guys

My first proper post and I fear I'm about to ask a stupid question!

My live setup will be -
Korg M1
Roland JV1080
Korg K49

I've set up the M1 (as a mother keyboard) with the JV1080 which is not a problem. However, when I run the K49 (controller) with the M1 (all at the same time), the M1 plays both its own and the JV1080 sounds.

I've searched online but can't find way around this problem.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Steviecycle
New here

Re: MIDI Question

Postby Chevytraveller » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Would be helpful to show how you have wired this up.. makes a diagnosis easier

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,
Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Yes, it's very difficult to offer solid advice unless we know what you hava wired to what and how.

My guess would be that you've created a MIDI loop somehow.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Matt_Moose » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 pm

I've got a similar (ish) setup: dumb controller; master keyboard with onboard sounds; sound module. FWIW, mysetup is:

Controller's MIDI out -> Master 'board MIDI in. Master 'board MIDI out -> module. AND make sure the master 'board has MIDI merge enabled, that way all MIDI from the controller AND the master will end up at the module. The additional thing you might need to do is turn the Local of the M1 off, so that when you play the keys on that, it doesn't trigger its own internal sounds.

Then, you just need to set your patches on discrete channels (1 to 16) assuming you want them distinct; OR on the same channel if you want to layer them.

At that point, can't help much more 'til know what you want to do. But what that setup should give you is ability to play 1 patch on the 1080 from the M1 and another (different) patch on the 1080 from the K49, AND whatever the local patch is on the M1 (with the same notes obviously).

Re-reading your post "the M1 plays both its own and the 1080's sounds" - sounds like you do have the "Local" setting on the M1 on. If you don't want the M1 to play its own sounds, but only the 1080's, you'll have to turn "Local" off. You can then play the M1 sounds from the K49 (if you match the MIDI transmit from the K49 and the MIDI receive on the M1) and play the M1 sounds from the K49 (as well as the 1080 sounds etc etc.)

And if that hasn't confused you...
Matt_Moose
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:43 am

Yes Matt has it I would say. You need to turn "Local Off" in the Global preferences. Most Korgs are set up the same. Locate the global page and find the Local option and switch it off.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby dubbmann » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:32 pm

hi all,

i think what the OP wants is to stop the controller from playing both the M! and the 1080. of course, i may be mistaken. if i'm correct, the solution can be as simple as setting the m1 and the 1080 to different midi channels. an even simpler sol'n would be to have controller play 1080 and m1 play itself.

OP, can you clarify?

cheers,

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster

Postby Steviecycle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Guys

Thank you VERY much for your help.

Matt and Richie, You're stars. Switching LOCAL off on the M1 solved the problem.

Chevytraveller and The Elf, You're right. A photo or simple diagram would have been a lot more descriptive than my mumblings. I'll certainly remember to include that if I ask for help again.

dubbmann, Sorry for not explaining myself very well. M1 as a controller, paired with the 1080 and the K49 (controller)paired with the M1.

Steve
Steviecycle
New here

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 am

I'm glad you sorted it out.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt_Moose » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Despite its age, seemingly simple approach and sometime baffling quirks, with a bit of thought and creativity, you'd be amazed what you can rig up with MIDI! Another learning point might also be: once you've got it working, write down what you've done, and try not to change it!!
Matt_Moose
Regular