You are here

Access Virus C - half the buttons aren't working properly.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Access Virus C - half the buttons aren't working properly.

Postby Andy McBain » Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm

After having used my Virus C desktop for a live gig a few weeks ago, I switched it on and noticed things didn't look quite "right" - in that some of the LEDs were partially lit up when they shouldn't have been. A quick test of the buttons on the right hand side (Filter type etc) resulted in the buttons accessing completely different parameters (such as the multi-mode edit and other things...)

All the knobs and everything else seems to be functioning perfectly, and it still sounds fine. The problem is, I now can't really edit a patch without using an editor on the computer... which is a little upsetting!

Does anyone with experience in electronics know what the problem could be? Is this the sort of thing that might be fixable? Who could even fix it? So many questions...

I do hope there's someone out there that can help - it's my favourite piece of kit and I'm quite attached to it. Many thanks in advance!

Andy
Andy McBain
Regular

Re: Access Virus C - half the buttons aren't working properly.

Postby Richie Royale » Wed May 02, 2012 9:14 am

It might be worth opening it up and trying to clean the contacts and inspect for any other damage. It seems strange that it has just seemed to stop working, but a damp environment, or worse a spilled drink might have left some contacts dirty. Hopefully it is something that is easily resolved with a contact cleaner.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Wed May 02, 2012 9:22 am

Also, having thought about it, the Virus takes an external PSU doesn't it? I have a Drumstation which wasn't working properly because of a failing PSU, a new one brought it back to life. So that might be a consideration.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Fibes » Wed May 02, 2012 11:23 am

Indeed, i've had similar encounters with external-PSU type gear - particularly when the PSU i've used doesn't quite kick out enough mA for the unit. It could of course be something more sinister but it's definitely something i'd investigate first before taking further action.
Fibes
Poster

Postby Andy McBain » Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 am

Cheers Richie. I had thought contact issue straight away, as the problem is localised in one area. I left a band member to pack up the gear last time, so I'm suspecting it may have taken some kinda liquid damage.

I'll have a go at opening it up and see whether the boards are accessible Then get back to you! Access have suggested sending it to their official service place, but that would involve shipping to Germany...
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Wed May 02, 2012 11:33 am

Might be cheaper to get a replacement PSU, if there are no visible problems once you open it and it hasn't solved the problem, before sending it to Access. £8 for a replacement might solve the problem, if not then at least you will have a spare for the future!
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Stage73 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:35 pm

...maybe a friendly music store will help you try it out with their virus demo model power supply?
Stage73
Poster

Postby Andy McBain » Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Fair play - I ought to get replacements for all my kit anyway as I know one of these days I'll show up to a gig and something will snap!

This - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Access-Virus-replacement-supply-adaptor/dp/B0027DCLQO would do the trick then?
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Wed May 02, 2012 7:01 pm

I bought my Drumstation replacement from Digidave on Amazon. Note the cable was only a metre in length though! Might be worth emailing him to check the length. I would follow up the suggestion of taking to a music store first to try theirs if you can.

http://support.digidave.co.uk/index.php?_a=tickets&_m=submit
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Andy McBain » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:24 pm

Hello again! Just resurrecting this.

Got a replacement PSU from Dividave at last, and sadly that hasn't solved the problem... implying that there's something wrong internally.

Would it be a wise idea to open the machine up and have a look myself? Are the boards accessible and able to be cleaned by hand?
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:04 am

I dont imagine it is too hard to open it up to see, but after that it is up to you whether you proceed with any cleaning yourself. Make sure you document what screw goes where etc, for when you put it back together and don't force anything!
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkOne » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 am

I dunno, if half the buttons are still working and it is all one part of the front panel, I might be suspecting a ribbon connector between the front panel and main board isn't properly seated.

Don't know this synth at all but a bit of googling found this pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepsonic/6875874581/lightbox/

I'm guessing that big ribbon disappearing off at the top might go to the front panel.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby Andy McBain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Cheers folks! Gonna take the plunge with it this evening. Will let you know how I get on.
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby Andy McBain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Argh!!! There's some stains on the PCB, that look suspiciously like tea... :/ Not good...

Suggestions on how to clean the PCB anyone???
Andy McBain
Regular