You are here

Advice on controller/velocity setting for Acoustic Pianos using Kontakt

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Advice on controller/velocity setting for Acoustic Pianos using Kontakt

Postby B4i » Sun May 06, 2012 3:17 pm

I am having real problems getting a realistic to play piano sound using Kontakt and the NI Akoustik Piano library.

I use an Oberheim MC2000 controller which has adjustable velocity settings. I am quite a heavy player and use the "Heavy" setting for controlling my JV2080 which gives a nice to play piano sound (recognising the limitations of the JV2080s piano sound).

I have experimented with the velocity settings of the Oberheim and Kontakt and seem to have found the best at "medium-heavy" on the Oberheim and -1 in Kontakt's velocity setting. However I still feel that it plays quite notchy between velocity layers and its very difficult to get a smooth uniform sound without one note triggering the high velocity sample.

How have others got on with the NI Akoustik Piano library? Is this a trait of the library or are my settings all wrong.

Thanks
B4i
Regular

Re: Advice on controller/velocity setting for Acoustic Pianos using Kontakt

Postby Bob Moose » Mon May 07, 2012 7:58 pm

I have just got these pianos (in Komplete), tried them quickly with my controller and it was OK. Just testing them 10 minutes, seriously, and now I have Kontakt I will be happy to adapt them to my own preferences (like adding half-pedal support and changing the level of some notes).

Did you check the velocity values that are sent by the MC2000 (with MIDI Ox or Pure Data for example)? My old stage piano outputs something between 20 and 115, so definitely not 1-127. I correct this in software before applying any velocity curve.
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster