You are here

Keyboard sounds

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Keyboard sounds

Postby Michael S » Thu May 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi all - as ever I need a little help. Is there any one single resource somewhere that I can go to find out how keyboards were set up or what patches were used in any given song. For instance how did they get that intro sound on "Dancing in the Moonlight", what were the Hammond drawbar settings for the organ in "Forget you", what was used for the intro on "Dakota", what is the intro sound on "Upside down" you get the idea. Or better still somewhere to get multi samples of quirky or iconic sounds? Really appreciate any help and humble apologies if this has been asked before. I browsed through but couldn't find anything. Michael
Michael S

Re: Keyboard sounds

Postby Richie Royale » Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm

You wont find one single resource I'm afraid. You might find articles or fan pages, or youtube videos that show you how someone has re-created a sound.

There are various tracks covered here, but even they don't necessarily go into deep detail about how a patch was created. ... ecrets.php

Some multi track files are available on the net, some legally, so less so.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu May 17, 2012 12:56 pm

No, but it's better to learn about the instruments, develop your ears and vocabulary so you can hear sounds, identify a ballpark to get to, and then make the appropriate sound on the appropriate instrument.

It's a good set of skills to develop.

But no one is going to interview every producer and programmer for every successful track so theory can write down notes or production secrets and compile them all in a web site so everyone can get spoon fed settings. And settings are only one part of the story anyway (and often not the important part) - far more important is the part, the arrangement, the mix, the performance etc etc.
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Jun 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Chaconne » Fri May 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Well I cant believe the entire internet has given up nothing...

Here is a great page, lots of synths with mp3 examples...

They also have this page, which while of course not listing the exact sounds / keyboards used on tracks, provides more then enough clues and starting points...

synthmania famous sounds

If this is homework, its your round - and I'll make sure everyone on here turns up!
Frequent Poster

Postby tacitus » Thu May 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Combo Organ Heaven has a page somewhere that lists what's used on various (mainly 60's, for obvious reasons) tracks. Doesn't go into specifics as I recall but then I find slavishly copying settings usually renders a different sound due to all the other links in the aural chain that affect the sound.

+1 for the advice to develop an ear for these timbres - never hurts to improve oneself.
Frequent Poster