You are here

Kronos 88 Vs Kronos 61 + 88 note Controller

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Kronos 88 Vs Kronos 61 + 88 note Controller

Postby Reuben Anstey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Back in 2011 I purchased a Kronos 88, which I'm on the whole well impressed with.

However, in 2017, you can buy a Kronos 61 together with what would seem to be a reasonable quality Studiologic SL88 Studio controller keyboard with weighted keys/aftertouch etc (from Thomann), giving infinitely more flexibility and the joy of not having to play synth and organ sounds etc from a weighted key bed (which has always been a bugbear of mine for the one size fits all 88 note option).......All for 150 quid less than the price of an 88 note Kronos alone! (from PMT Kronos retail prices)

Compare with Thomann Kronos prices, the difference is even more extreme....88 note is 700 quid more expensive than 61 note! Crazy.

Is the Studiologic just ridiculous value, or the Kronos 88 seemingly rather expensive for what it is? Wonder if I'm missing something....
Reuben Anstey
Poster

Re: Kronos 88 Vs Kronos 61 + 88 note Controller

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Bit of both I'd say. I think that the Kronos is great - not perfect but still great - but a tad overpriced. Korg are pushing it as a 'one stop shop' and it's pretty darned good at being that.

But the Studiologic keyboard seems excellent vfm.

One of the good things about the Kronos is that the usb ports accept class compliant usb midi keyboards and supply the power. So you can plug in a second keyboard with a single connection. Great. Now all you have to do is find a decent quality 61key keyboard - I could only find a couple with decent keybeds!

grrr
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Quaver » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:47 pm

I was in a similar position when buying my MK2 61 Kronos,For me I have never seen the appeal of buying an 88 note Hammer action synth that your going to be playing synth sounds on for the vast majority of the time,I would rather a dedicated Stage piano type for that or at least have a secondary hammer action dummy keyboard to plug into the Kronos as a secondary controller to use when the piano feel is required,but I still like to have a Hammer action for piano purposes I did contemplate the 88 plus a synth action controller but as you say the price is ridiculous for the 88 Note

I tried the hammer action 88 Kronos but just didn't feel it's response was really beneficial or quick enough for playing synth sounds it was just to sluggish and required a lot of force to play in such a manner.

I got myself a secondhand Studiologic Hammer action dummy board for peanuts off ebay and I'm more than happy to use this as a secondary controller to use for playing piano sounds on Kronos,this was significantly cheaper to do than just opt for the 88 note Kronos and a further 61 key controller,I also looked at some of those Older Roland A series hammer action Midi controllers which would be awesome for the multitimbral workstation like Kronos due to the way the A series addresses loads of zones/Midi channels but getting one at a decent price is hard unless your prepared to pay top dollar for them

Thats aside I'm more than happy with the Studiologic,Sadly the Studiologic doesn't have a USB connector so wasn't able to plug direct into the Kronos USB ports but its only a simple midi connection.
Quaver
Regular

Postby Reuben Anstey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks for your responses, great food for thought.

Re finding a decent 61 note controller keyboard with nice synth touch, the best I have is in the non usb form of a Roland D50. A fantastically responsive high quality touch, partly down to metal weights glued under the playing surface of the keys. So I could use this.

But my idea of 61 note kronos plus modern lightweight 88 note controller was to reduce gig back pain. Lugging the kronos 88 plus D50 sounds like comparative hard work!
Reuben Anstey
Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:59 pm

Quaver wrote:For me I have never seen the appeal of buying an 88 note Hammer action synth that you're going to be playing synth sounds on for the vast majority of the time
+1

All other considerations aside, it's always seemed odd to me that a synth with 12 pianos and 4,000 other sounds is saddled with a piano-weighted keyboard! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:23 am

I've been playing 'ordinary' keyboards for so long now that when I tried to play an actual piano I failed miserably :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
You know, and I know, but they don't know... So keep your mouth shut!

Postby John F » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 am

I had same back breaking issues with my Kurzweil PC3X.

Have now gone to the PC3K6 (61 note) with the Studiologic SL88 Studio you mentioned. I'm very pleased with the action of it..
John F
Regular

Keyboard player at HyperActive80s band. 
https://www.facebook.com/hyperactive80s/

Current live keyboards - Kurzweil PC3x - Korg Triton Extreme + Moss - Roland JP-8000