You are here

roland jx-3p midi issues...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

roland jx-3p midi issues...

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi, I have a roland jx-3p that I picked up reacently and every time I switch it on it puts itself back into omni mode which is f*~~@@$$% annoying to say the least, it's bad enough that it's stuck to midi chanel 1
Basicaly when I turn it on it's in omni mode, then I turn that off by using a midi cable which is annoying but as soon as I turn it off it goes back to omni

Is this normal and is there a way arround it?
Also I know it's off topic but can this synth be modified to be able to stick it in mono mode with portamento?
Other wise nice sound
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Re: roland jx-3p midi issues...

Postby Adam Inglis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:44 pm

This is normal behaviour for an unmodified JX-3P. You can install a midi expansion kit that will disable omni mode and allow it to receive on Channels 1, 2 or 3, with velocity, and midi control access to all synth parameters. Portamento is not possible on this synth though - possibly something to do with the DCO architecture.
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks for the quick responce, i'll have a look into that mod for the JX
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby MTG » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:51 pm

While that upgrade does work, you can use the cheaper Roland factory JX3PDROM that Roland released a year or two after the original JX3P. Its a cheaper, simpler upgrade, but not as comprehensive as the other one mentioned here. It should be available from a variety of sources.

GB
www.musictechnologiesgroup.com
MTG

Postby feline1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:25 am

MTG wrote:While that upgrade does work, you can use the cheaper Roland factory JX3PDROM that Roland released a year or two after the original JX3P. Its a cheaper, simpler upgrade, but not as comprehensive as the other one mentioned here. It should be available from a variety of sources.

GB
www.musictechnologiesgroup.com

I've got the Inque expansion.

I've also heard rumours of the official Roland upgrade, but never found the EPROM in question. In fact I once had a hilarious phone call to Roland in Swansea with some exasperated guy 'effin and blindin and saying he'd never bloody heard of this bloody EPROM, it was printed about in some music magazine in the early '90s and ever since people have been asking about it but as far as he was concerned it never existed.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Adam Inglis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:04 am

Roland Aust. sent me the upgrade EPROM when I asked, on first buying my JX (? late nineties). Velocity via midi was the main reason I got it - the velocity is routed to the filter and the amp and sounds good. It was not a simple drop in - I think an IC pin had to be bent and a wire soldered across the board...
anyway the organix board does this and so much more...
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby tom101 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:42 pm

I just used an extra MIDI out from the sequencer exclusively for the JX3P
tom101
New here