You are here

Alternatives to Auralex-type foam adhesive? Other methods for foam?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Alternatives to Auralex-type foam adhesive? Other methods for foam?

Postby Barilla » Sun May 31, 2009 8:25 pm

Just wanting to mount a few acoustic foam tiles on a sloping (plasterboard) celiling... I'm not too thrilled by the idea of using the usual Auralex foam adhesive (expensive and messy). Are there any good alternative methods?

I can hang panels on walls, but a sloping ceiling is obviously a different scenario...

Any ideas greatfully received.

B.
Barilla
Poster

Re: Alternatives to Auralex-type foam adhesive? Other methods for foam?

Postby NTA » Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 pm

you can use pins or tacks to hold them up? thats what i do in my bedroom and i'll be doing the same in my new studio space, no mess!

NTA
Poster

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Sun May 31, 2009 11:46 pm

flexible silicon bathroom sealant... the stuff that smells like vinegar (acetic acid) not the stuff the smells of ammonia
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby Barilla » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks, both of you - I'll try the pins first and see how that goes.

B.
Barilla
Poster

Postby Glenn Kuras » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:19 pm

idris y draig wrote:flexible silicon bathroom sealant... the stuff that smells like vinegar (acetic acid) not the stuff the smells of ammonia

You don't think that would tear up the walls?

Glenn
Glenn Kuras
Regular

Postby AndyN » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Yes it does make a mess of the walls. I have just found out the hard way.

I have just hung mine by sticking a kiddies coat hanger to the back and hanging it on a picture hook. There may be a way of adapting this for a sloping ceiling.

Mike
AndyN
Regular

Postby Weasel9992 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:53 pm

OllieJW wrote:you can use pins or tacks to hold them up? thats what i do in my bedroom and i'll be doing the same in my new studio space, no mess!

T-pins...the type you can find in a fabric store.

Frank
Weasel9992
Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:04 pm

there are two basic types of Silicon sealant.... one that smells of urea/ammonia, which sets fairly hard (although still somehwat flexible) and isa complete buggger to remove..... and yes, would tear up the walls..... and takes longer to cure, and isn;t as sticky,

OR the other kind that smells of Acetic acid/vinegar, is softer, stickier, and peels off the wall afterwards , pretty easily .

i use it ALL the time..... and I've probably fitted more foam in the last 10 years than most of you will ever see in a lifetime....

trust me, it works...

anyone finding silicon seriously difficult to remove is probably suffering from having used the ammonia smelling one.....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster
Location: UK *but works all over the place… mostly Europe based*

Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault, you picked the site/building/room

Postby NTA » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:15 pm

Max! wrote:there are two basic types of Silicon sealant.... one that smells of urea/ammonia, which sets fairly hard (although still somehwat flexible) and isa complete buggger to remove..... and yes, would tear up the walls..... and takes longer to cure, and isn;t as sticky,

OR the other kind that smells of Acetic acid/vinegar, is softer, stickier, and peels off the wall afterwards , pretty easily .

Is there anyway to tell by just looking at the tube? chemical info? i have two tubes of 'UNIVERSAL ACOUSTICS COSMIC FLUID' Anyone have experience with this stuff?
NTA
Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 pm

Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault, you picked the site/building/room

Postby Keith Baker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Apologies to OP for hijacking the thread, but does this also apply to attaching a sheet of Auralex foam to the front of a rockwool panel per the SOS style of broadband trap. £25 for a can of Auralex adhesive(and I guess I would need a few) is a bit eyewatering. I tried standard carpet adhesive on a couple but the foam is beginning to fall off, so false economy there.
Keith Baker
New here

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:15 pm

if you're using a single piece of Auralex or other foam on the front, then you ought to be able to edge bond it to the surrounding frame using the silicon sealant..

actually i've not tried to bond foam to rockwool in the absence of a supporting frame work.... so couldn't say how using multiple bits of foam might work... ... it OUGHT to work... i've bonded foam to foam like that.... but you need to be careful about coverage , getting enough to hold it, but not so much that you negatively affect the gas flow impedance behaviour through the material boundaries.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Postby Keith Baker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks Max

I suppose edge bonding might work but I would be worried about central sag - the foam, not my stomach - that happened ages ago!

I've seen some people say you can use the spray adhesive for carpets but that you need to use quite a bit, which I didn't do because as you said I didn't want to create an impermeable film. Guess that's why it's falling off.

Perhaps Auralex adhesive is worth the money after all 'cos you don't need much to make a secure bond.

So you don't face rockwool traps with foam? I thought that was the way to increase the effective frequency range of the trap.

BTW should I continue this discussion on a new thread as I've jumped in on someone elses post?

Keith
Keith Baker
New here

Postby Weasel9992 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:56 pm

I've actually used spray adhesive to do pretty much what you're trying to do, and it worked well...initially. All the 2'x2' tiles fell off within a few months though.

Frank
Weasel9992
Poster

Postby Keith Baker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:13 pm

OK so that's what not to do but.........
What did you do when they fell off - aside from the odd curse

Does the Auralex spray adhesive actually work much better than the generic spray adhesive or is there a better way of attaching foam to rockwool.

BTW Barilla please tell me if you haven't concluded your question yet as I'm concious that I'm on your thread.
Keith Baker
New here

Postby omnirife » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Hello,

I am having this exact problem. I bought a tube of Auralex adhesive to put up some foam (I was planning to build home-made panels, as per my topic elsewhere on this board, but have got a pay increase so decided just to save time and buy some foam) and have found that it's not great at keeping it stuck to the wall. The tiles tend to slide down the wall before falling off completely. That Wickes stuff might be worth a go.

I am concerned because if the Auralex stuff can't hold a few small panels, there's no way it'll be able to hold up the whopping heaavy bass traps I purchased! May even have to resort to those 'T-pins' mentioned above.

I bought the adhesive for £13 from here:

http://www.studiospares.com/Aerosols/Auralex-Tubetak-Pro-Liquid-Adhesive/invt/461660

And then bought a glue gun for about £2.50 from B&Q.
omnirife

Postby Weasel9992 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:42 pm

omnirife wrote:I am concerned because if the Auralex stuff can't hold a few small panels, there's no way it'll be able to hold up the whopping heaavy bass traps I purchased! May even have to resort to those 'T-pins' mentioned above.

Which "whopping heavy bass traps" do you have? If they're panel traps then you're right...the glue definitely won't hold them. We usually recommend heavy-duty picture hanging hooks or something like that.

Frank
Weasel9992
Poster

Postby Nimhbus » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone - silicon sealant it is!
Nimhbus
New here