You are here

sony MDR-7506 issues... no sound in right ear. what now?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

sony MDR-7506 issues... no sound in right ear. what now?

Postby jeffreyjames » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:08 am

so I owned them for 3 months and the right ear cup died. the bad news is that I got them for a gift and don't have the serial number or receipt (so I didn't register them or anything). do I try to fix them myself? sony charges $130 an hour for out of warranty repairs. what would you do?
jeffreyjames

Re: sony MDR-7506 issues... no sound in right ear. what now?

Postby ef37a » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:13 am

jeffreyjames wrote:so I owned them for 3 months and the right ear cup died. the bad news is that I got them for a gift and don't have the serial number or receipt (so I didn't register them or anything). do I try to fix them myself? sony charges jeffreyjames30 an hour for out of warranty repairs. what would you do?

Tell Sony to *&^*it and buy some Sennheisers or Beyer or AKG or.......

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Mixedup » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:19 am

Can you check the connection between the wire and the jack plug without looking like you've screwed with them? It's usually a cable/connection issue when one ear works and the other doesn't.

Failing that, ask whoever you got them from where they bought them and when — and if they paid by card there should be a record on their bank/credit card statement — and the store *should* also have a record of the sale. I think that should stand up in a court in lieu of a receipt.

Also, in my experience, if it's just a straight swap for a new pair rather than an involved warranty/repair job then you stand a better chance of them being helpful...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:02 am

Have you checked it's not your ear?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby ef37a » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:19 am

jellyjim wrote:Have you checked it's not your ear?

Heh!
Since this post is still running.
I would still tell Sony that that is a totally unreasonable rate to charge for "domestic" or at best semi-pro electronics servicing, i.e. not industrial equipment which does get expensive. FCS, diagnosing and fixing a passive device like cans is hardly like delving into an SSL desk! Especially as you will have the parts,fixtures and correct tools to hand.

I have always been a great fan of Sony consumer electronics. I have a 32" Bravia, 2 dvd recorders, MD recorder, Dolby S cassette, but if I learned that they want to charge me anything remotely near £100 to fix it they can swivel and I shall buy LG, Toshy or whatever.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#