You are here

a question about placing my monitors.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

a question about placing my monitors.

Postby Nmn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 am

hey!

I'm now finishing up my studio.

I just need to set up my monitors. (Yamaha Sh80)
and I want to build shelves link in the link below, and place gear underneath.
the shelves will sit directly on the table.
I want to add a layer of proofing, maybe Styrofoam or something else.

link for reference:
http://thunderthumbs.org/img/32ssmidi_tr_tn.jpg

my question is:
1. will the layer prevent form sound distortions? when placing monitors directly on the table, the table becomes a bass booster, which kindda cool but very bad for mixing
2. should I use Styrofoam? or buy something else...
3. if I build these shelves, empty or full of gear, will the distort the sound?
4. should I use plastic thingies to prevent sound from transfering thourgh the shelves?

[url=http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v2/319891596/furniture_foot_nails_sofa_glides_plastic_feet.jpg"]http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v2/319891596/furniture_foot_nails_sofa_glides_plastic_feet.jpg"[/url]

thnx a bunch
Nmn
New here

Re: a question about placing my monitors.

Postby Jonesy512 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 am

I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 686's when Igot them they were resonating a fair bit on the surface I had adding plastic stoppers(supplies with the speakers) to the bottom of them helped this a great deal.
I have used these particular monitors at school and they seem fine on a solid surface, we just had them sitting on the desks either side of an LCD monitor.
One main thing to remember when setting these shelves up is that the tweeters are at your ear level this will help you achieve better mixes.

Hope I've somewhat helped.
Feel free to correct me I've been doing live sound for 6 years now and only just started studio work.

Jonesy
Jonesy512
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Nmn, and welcome to the SOS FOrums!

The best approach is nearly always to use solid floor-mounting speaker stands, but if your HAVE to have your speakers sitting on a shelf or desktop you need to ‘isolate’ them from the desk. Styrofoam won’t do the jobProbably the best material is about a 1-inch thick slab of acoustic foam.

Have a look at Auralex Mopads ( www.auralex.com/c_sound_isolation/c_sound_isolation.asp) or Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers ( www.primacoustic.com/recoil-specs.htm ) to get the general idea, and have a read of this SOS Q&A:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug05/articles/qa0805_3.htm

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:50 am

Hi Nmn,
That picture is a very good example of what NOT to do! Far too cluttered and too full of reflective surfaces for a good stereo image, there is also a good chance some of the kit inbetween will rattle at certain frequencies as well. It is a bit difficult to see but the whole shooting match seem far to close to the back wall?

Most of us have to compromise for monitor position however and my Tannoy 5a's are on wall brackets, not ideal but at least they have a big slab of absorbent foam between them and are firing over the top of 2 monitors and angled down. So long as one adopts a good, upright posture, the tweeters are firing into #1 and #2 lug.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Nmn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:39 am

thanks for all the help! you guys rule

will upload a pic of it to this post when i'm done.
Nmn
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Glad we could help - looking forward to the new pic (you'll certainly hear the improvement if you can isolate your loudspeakers from that desk )

Martin
Martin Walker