You are here

Noisy mains

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Noisy mains

Postby Octopussy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 am

I'm renting/living in a dodgy old house - rent is cheap and it's a nice area to live. But the electric's in this place are noisy!

So, I was wondering what could be done about it! My thoughts are to use some kind of UPS for my audio stuff. Am I on the right lines?

I'm into recording electric guitars and my reamp box dun like the electricity and mt guitar amp doesn't like pedals and their power supplies. Also another part of the problem seems to be my RME USB soundcard. I don't think it's shielded and noise free like my Steinberg MR816. Another weakness is that I'm recording onto a laptop although I'm recording onto a bus powered USB3 hard drive.

What to do...
Octopussy
Regular

Re: Noisy mains

Postby Octopussy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 am

Echo echo echo echo...
Octopussy
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

You are paying a utility company for an electrical supply and like any good or service it must be "fit for purpose". Furthermore, if the supply is as bad as you intimate it could well be unsafe as well!
I would also expect equipment of the quality of RME to be well proofed against modest mains noise tho' of course it might not be the interface that is at the root of the problem.

It is virtually impossible to diagnose noise problems at a distance and especially when those problems seem to be mains supply related the very first step should be to get a professional on site.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:34 am

I'm wondering whether it is a grounding issue rather than a noise issue? As Dave says, these things are very difficult to diagnose at a distance. You need to draw a diagram of exactly how things are connected up and which connection schemes seem to be noisy and which aren't. Every last detail is important when trying to fix a problem like this.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:36 am

Octopussy wrote:I'm renting/living in a dodgy old house - rent is cheap and it's a nice area to live. But the electric's in this place are noisy!

So, I was wondering what could be done about it! My thoughts are to use some kind of UPS for my audio stuff. Am I on the right lines?

I'm into recording electric guitars and my reamp box dun like the electricity and mt guitar amp doesn't like pedals and their power supplies. Also another part of the problem seems to be my RME USB soundcard. I don't think it's shielded and noise free like my Steinberg MR816. Another weakness is that I'm recording onto a laptop although I'm recording onto a bus powered USB3 hard drive.

What to do...

First thing to do is unplug the power supply from your laptop and run on the internal battery. Does the noise go away?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:First thing to do is unplug the power supply from your laptop and run on the internal battery. Does the noise go away?

Aha, the classic ‘do you have a digital ground loop’ test :bouncy:

An awful lot of those get mistakenly diagnosed as noisy mains supplies :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode