You are here

What 'portable' treatment to suit student rooms at uni?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

What 'portable' treatment to suit student rooms at uni?

Postby mjfe2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I've been hesitant to buy any acoustic treatment so far because I tend to move room each year at uni. However, because I'm continuing for a few more years I'd really like to spend a bit on a couple of panels/traps/foam that I can take with me each year. I was wondering what would be recommended as a staple 'starter' set.

I realise all rooms are different so this is almost a pointless question, but I also know any change will make a big difference (I occasionally hang my duvet behind me and even that makes an audible improvement!). This year, my room is quite small so I don't want anything too big/bulky. Is it best to begin with a bass trap or HF foam behind my head? The speakers are currently in front of the window so have curtains behind them.

Many thanks for the advice!

p.s. I've read a few Studio SOS articles but if there're any that directly address this issue please do send me a link...
mjfe2
Frequent Poster

Re: What 'portable' treatment to suit student rooms at uni?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 pm

I've just discovered "Hannibal Acoustics" http://www.hannibalacoustics.com/ who seem to do a good range of products which are an improvement on 'foam on a wall'. They advertise some of their thicker panels as being good for bass-trapping. Some of the panels come equipped with built-in hangers.

Caveat: I've yet to try these myself and, of course, other products are available - some of whose manufacturers give helpful advice on this forum.

TDC
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:19 am

Without knowing more about the room(s) in question — particularly dimensions and positions of door(s) and window(s), it's kinda difficult to advise on what treatment for use with monitors is appropriate.

If it's for mixing/critical listening, rather than recording space, I'd strongly recommend investing in a seriously good set of headphones. That way, you'll take the various rooms out of the equation and have a consistent mix reference without having to re-learn the room every time. You also get to use smaller crappier rooms and therefore pay lower rent so they pay for themselves
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby mjfe2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice! I actually have a pair of HD600s (and DT770s), which I use regularly, but I'd still like to get *some* kind of treatment for checking things on speakers. Presumably nearly every small room is going to need some kind of bass trap, so it'd be good investment to make one of those? And is it safe to say most rectangular rooms are going to need at least one HF absorbing panel, or not? This year my room is a 10' x 12' rectangle but unfortunately I have to have the speakers facing down the 10' length. Apart from the window & curtains behind the speakers (do these help at all?!) the walls are just ordinary brick and plaster, with a wooden door behind me, to the right. Does that help at all?
mjfe2
Frequent Poster