You are here

Rack-mount Boss BX-8/Micro Rack Series

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Rack-mount Boss BX-8/Micro Rack Series

Postby swannRE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 am

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how I would go about mounting a Boss BX-8 on a rack? I didn't think it was possible until I saw the dimensions of it and being 18 7/8 inches wide seems a bit of a coincidence.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to mount two units from Boss' Micro Rack series on one full size rack? I don't see why not but I just don't know how I would go about doing it. Wanted to check before I spend any money.

Cheers guys.
swannRE
New here

Re: Rack-mount Boss BX-8/Micro Rack Series

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 am

Hi swannRE

Boss used to sell a rack mounting kit for the micro rack series. But you would probably be lucky to find one.

You could by a 1U rack shelf and bolt it in

I've got a RRV-10 alongside a MeeK MQ3 in my rack, its not elegant, but they're both stuck to the rack unit below with double sided sticky pads.

I don't remember much about the BX-8 but a sliding rack shelf might sort it.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby swannRE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks Spyder, wasn't too sure if these forums were still alive!

I have considered the Micro rack but it would annoy me having one full size rack and one small one as well (i'm slightly anal like that).

Would you have any recommendations for where to get things like rack shelves and things from? I'm a bit of a rack newbie.

Thanks a lot.
swannRE
New here

Postby swannRE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Ahh sorry spyder, i'll just explain with the BX-8.

Can you think of anyway to have it so it is, basically, standing up? So the knobs and sliders are facing out? Not sure if it's possible.
swannRE
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi swannRE, and welcome to the SOS Forums!

I’ve still got a Boss SE-70 half-rack processor bolted into my rack, and all you need is a ‘1u rack shelf’, which typically costs somewhere between £15 and £25

Here’s one for example: www.soundsliveshop.com/p/1U_Rack_Shelf/AHALL-8754

You’ll simply need to drill a single hole each to mount your Micro Rack series units.

One thing to watch out for though - many cheap rack trays are quite deep, making it difficult to reach the input and output sockets on the rear panels of typical half-rack width FX units, and since they are made from 1.5mm steel they can be a pig to trim to size (as well as producing lots of sparks when you try )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby swannRE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Martin!

I don't think the depth will be a problem, I think it will be the lowest effect on my rack and i've got no other units that could block it off above it.

I'm not just testing your patience now but where do you mean to drill a hole? I can't see anywhere on the unit to drill.

Bear with me please!
Thanks again
swannRE
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:59 pm

My SE-70 has a single threaded hole in its bottom plate.

If your units don’t have something similar then use the strong velcro approach mentioned above.

Martin
Martin Walker