You are here

Basic Basement Studio

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Basic Basement Studio

Postby Pink Fluid » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Many years ago I built myself a studio in my house, converting a large downstairs area. It was successful for me as I was writing electronica and doing music for TV documentaries but no live guitars/drums etc. I remember using a combination of 4"x2" to build walls within the main room as well as using rockwool and neoprene for further isolation. I think I also used 2 layers of plasterboard.

Enough history. I now want to convert part of my basement into a small music room for both me and now one of my sons to play/record. Without going OTT, what's the most cost effective way of doing this? The basement is not an ideal height (just over 6' 2") but we have nowhere else in the house so anything with some sound proofing would be better than nothing. Does the plasterboard/rockwool/neoprene set-up still work or are there better methods. I also remember covering everything in a nice shade of burgundy hessian!

Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Pink Fluid
Regular

Re: Basic Basement Studio

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 am

Where do you want to stop the sound from going? Are the upstairs occupants going to complain? Do you have adjoining neighbours?

My first thought would be to remove the plasterboard on the basement ceiling and add another set of staggered joists supporting 2 or 3 layers of plasterboard as a new ceiling. If you are worried about adjoining neighbours and need best performance, you would also need to build additional walls and mount the new ceiling joists on the top of the new walls.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Pink Fluid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for replying James. The main aim is stop sound going to the neighbours but having had a closer look yesterday, first of all I need an electrician to do some re-wiring and I also need to get the gas board to sort out a really poorly seated gas meter supply.

When that's done, what thickness plasterboard do I use for this type of job and what's the best type of rockwool to use?
Pink Fluid
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:51 pm

You probably want a sandwich of different types of plasterboard - for best results go for 19mm next to the studs followed by a layer of green glue followed by 12.5mm sound block board, another layer of green glue and then a layer of 15mm sound block board. Gyproc's acoustic wall paper suggests that you can get away without the 15mm layer but other people reckon it is worth doing all 3 layers.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk