You are here

smoke from monitors

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

smoke from monitors

Postby Bungle1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:21 pm

I never run my monitors at excessive volumes and they aren't left on for extended periods of time but switched them on today and one started crackling then smoke started coming out of it. They are active Behringer Truth monitors and I have no idea what has happened - any ideas what could cause this and how much it's likely to cost to repair?
Bungle1
Regular
[url=http://www.facebook.com/echoesandhalos[/url]

Re: smoke from monitors

Postby The Korff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 pm

How old are the monitors? Have you tried contacting Behringer? In my experience they're very good about helping with this kind of thing.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby Bungle1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Got em last July, what's the best place to contact them?
Bungle1
Regular
[url=http://www.facebook.com/echoesandhalos[/url]

Postby The Korff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Ah, good point... A few months ago it became ridiculously difficult to find a phone number for them, I seem to remember they do their damndest now to make you use a web contact form (certainly worth a try though!).

IIRC they also quite recently started offering a really long warranty on their products, if not a lifetime one, so your speakers might fall under that? Behringer stuff tends to come with loads of registration forms, along with all the documentation, so if you've still got that gubbinry I'd give it a look through.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Bungle1 wrote:I never run my monitors at excessive volumes and they aren't left on for extended periods of time but switched them on today and one started crackling then smoke started coming out of it. They are active Behringer Truth monitors and I have no idea what has happened - any ideas what could cause this and how much it's likely to cost to repair?

Something has short-circuited in a place that carries enough volts and amps to cause smoke. If you haven't done anything that might cause this - spilt liquid, something dropped inside the unit, physical damage, connecting an inappropriate voltage to an input or output - we can put it down to a failed component and you should be OK for a repair under warranty. Your first port of call is the place where you bought the speakers.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:17 pm

If they were purchased new last July then you do not have to deal with the Byzantine Behringer, your first comeback is with the retailer.

This is where it gets sticky these days because the retailer is very unlikely to have any service facilities and will simply ship the monitor back to B's service agents.

I am not generally a detractor of Behringer kit but when I wanted monitors I went for a company that had been doing little else for better than half a century and not every electronic doo-dad known to man! Bonus as well that Tannoy are in UK (yes! I know the stuff is built in China, what ain't!).

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby DHustwayte1990 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:50 pm

Go back to the retailer, Behringer have a 1 year no quibble returns policy so the retailer should swap it for you in store.
DHustwayte1990
Poster