You are here

Strange noise coming from Focal CMS Monitor

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Strange noise coming from Focal CMS Monitor

Postby Will_m » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi guys, I recently purchased some focal cms65 monitors from a seller on the forums but I've been having some problems with one of them. When I first plugged them in one was making making a very odd distorted sound. As I had just made up the cables for them I suspected my less than excellent soldering to be at fault so I swapped the cable out and all was fine.

However now the noise had come back and I believe the cable is not to blame. The noise actually occurs even when the XLR cable is removed, although it us much quieter. Also when the noise is happening the speaker cone moves in and out quite rapidly. If I pull the XLR connector attached to the speaker input to one side the noise gets increasingly worse then makes a loud popping sound and stops for a while but eventually comes back.

The seller is refusing to take any responsibility so I'm kind of stuck, there is no way I can send them anywhere without it costing the earth as they are made of metal and extremely heavy. Dies anyone know what this issue could be?

I've uploaded a recording of the noise that speakers make to soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/willsium/speaker-noise
Will_m
Regular

Re: Strange noise coming from Focal CMS Monitor

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:55 am

It's the kind of noise I'd associate either with dry-joints (bad solder connections on the PCBs), or a defective capacitor in the signal path. The fact that you can affect whether this sound appears or not by leaning on the XLR connector would suggest a dry joint problem somewhere near the socket or on any PCB connected to it.

I'd expect a competent electronics technician to be able to track this problem down fairly easily.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Will_m » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Cheers hugh, this seems logical and makes sense, the problem seems to be getting worse so its time to call in the pros I think. Anyone recommend a decent repair service in the manchester area?
Will_m
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:54 am

Will_m wrote:Cheers hugh, this seems logical and makes sense, the problem seems to be getting worse so its time to call in the pros I think. Anyone recommend a decent repair service in the manchester area?

Professional Music Technology - Salford

Address:
Unit 5, The Red Rose Centre
Regent Road
Salford
Manchester
M5 3GR

Tel: 0161 8776262
Fax:
Email: manchester@pmtonline.co.uk

Brands Offered - Click on a brand to be taken to the dealers website

◦Focal