You are here

Can a concrete tube be fixed?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Can a concrete tube be fixed?

Postby mellowsouls » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Ola peeps.

A teacher friend of mine recently asked me to have a look at his school's new recording studio to show him how it worked so he could teach the kids in it. They've got a PC running Cubase 5, a Lexicon Ionix U82S, Samson monitors, and approx 24"x7"x8" live room... It's kind of like a squared off concrete tube. They've put in some proper foam tiles, but nowhere near enough to make up for the bog roll dimensions.

Other than advising him to ask for a better room, is there any way to tame the 'tube' resonances? I thought maybe a load of rockwool traps like what Zukan did in part 1 of his DIY Home/Studio Acoustic Treatment Tutorials - maybe 3 or 4 on the ceiling and 4 or 5 staggered along each of the longest walls?

I thank you kindly in advance for your thoughts/hints/tips!
mellowsouls
Poster

Re: Can a concrete tube be fixed?

Postby Hamund » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:35 am

Ola firkfiggler, fixing the room sounds expensive.
Hamund
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 am

I take it that is suppposed to be 24 by 7 by 8 feet?

If so I would say 7x8 by anything is ridiculous for any proper work. We home jockeys have to cope with what we have but surely a school should make SOME attempt at a reasonable facility?

Back in the day that would have made a passing decent machine room, workshop and tape store!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby mellowsouls » Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Ha! Yeah, I meant feet!!! :headbang: Newborn in the house = brainbox @ 40%. Although I did picture a biology lab experiment with a rat band.

Yes, first suggestion was change rooms, but that probably won't be possible. Such a shame for them to make the effort to set up a studio but with poor planning. Any creativity it encourages will be seriously affected by the poor results the room acoustics are going to give.

Ah well, such is life.

Thanks anyhoo!
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby Mixedup » Wed May 16, 2012 7:46 am

The good money's on whipping up a bit of righteous indignation from parents of the students. ("your 'studio' is hampering my little boy/girl's future" kind of thing). Nothing like a bit of parental pressure to make a school cave in on something like this...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 am

That's probably the first time I've heard of a studio in a corridor. It might make a good reverb chamber but not much else.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby ef37a » Wed May 16, 2012 9:26 am

Mixedup wrote:The good money's on whipping up a bit of righteous indignation from parents of the students. ("your 'studio' is hampering my little boy/girl's future" kind of thing). Nothing like a bit of parental pressure to make a school cave in on something like this...

I agree ^ as I say, we home wannabees have to make do but even so I have 12.5x12x8.5 feet and that is just one bod. I think that space is so bad that it really is not worth the effort and the children will simply never get the right ideas, bit like teaching chemistry with no test tubes or Bunsen burners!

If push comes to shove how about spending the money on one or two stonking laptops, RME kit and commandeering the assembly hall and gym?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#