You are here

Speakon connector with conditional load resistor

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Speakon connector with conditional load resistor

Postby Griggsy » Thu May 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi all,

I just upgraded a tube amp head and speaker cabinet with Neutrik Speakon connectors to replace the 1/4" speaker sockets, which were not very reliable. The upgrade was well worth it. However, to do this I had to remove the amp's existing switched TRS speaker connector and the dummy load resistor with it, so now the amp is not protected if some fool decides to run it without connecting the speaker. Also, the amp has a line out so it might also be nice to be able to run the amp without a speaker connected in some situations. So, having the load resistor switch in when no speaker jack is present was quite a handy feature.

I have used 2-pole Speakon connectors for the job, which have no switching capability. Anyone know a workaround to retain the load resistor? I believe Neutrik makes a 4-pole switched Speakon socket, but I can't find any details on how the switching behaves or if it will be suitable in this application (or if it can be mixed with 2-pole Speakon cable connectors).

Any ideas?
Griggsy
Poster