You are here

Stud walls and isolation

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Stud walls and isolation

Postby The Fold Studios » Wed May 23, 2012 10:20 am

Hello,

I have a friend who has a room (4 walls) that he hopes to use as a place to practice drums in. Two of the walls next to each other (starting from one corner of the room) are quite thin (partition walls) and one of these walls is also where the door is.

If he built two new stud walls inside the existing 2 (thin) walls as well as a new sealed door, would this help with some sound isolation? he isn't trying to keep all sound out, but wants to just improve in the areas where he believes the sound is more likely to travel through. he is also going to build a drum riser to help prevent the sound traveling through the floor.

Any comments and opinions welcome.
The Fold Studios
Regular

Re: Stud walls and isolation

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 23, 2012 11:11 am

It would probably help but be aware that sound will also travel along the more substantial walls and into the existing stud walls so, ideally, you should consider building a stud wall all around the room. Don't forget the ceiling and floor as well - what are they made of?

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Re: Stud walls and isolation

Postby The Fold Studios » Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks James,

I'm not sure what the floor is made of, or the ceiling, I'll have to ask him and find out. I think he does intend to build a floating surface to reduce contact between the kick drum and the floor but I think it would be a drum riser kind of size as opposed to a complete floating floor. I think he mainly wants to know whether he's going to be wasting his money treating the two thin walls or whether it will still make a significant difference - though he's well aware that it will be far from miraculous.
The Fold Studios
Regular