You are here

Effect of various object on room treatment

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Effect of various object on room treatment

Postby Frank Rideau » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi,

My room is approx. 12ft x 20ft (4m x 6m) with 6 1/2ft height (2m). I'm situated against the 12ft wall, centered.

The room currently lacking of room treatment. One thing that doesn't help is there's already a lot of object in critical situation. I was curious to know if these object were having any kind of effect on absorption/reflexion, good or bad.

1. On the left spot for absorber panel, there is a window.
2. On the right spot, there is where I hang my guitars and bass and I cover them with a big woolen.
3. On the overhead spot, there's a big ceiling lamp quite the size of an absorber, wood structure with 3 lamps.

I obviously can't change these (except the guitars but even this I don't have a much better place). I can't turn the studio around because the opposite wall is a stairway.

Any thoughts ?
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Re: Effect of various object on room treatment

Postby k3nnyt4n » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 am

you better try those room measurement like roomEQ then try moving those objects away,add absorbers here and there ,then measure again,....It's a long process for people like us.
I measured my room more than 20times ,each time i improved more and more and understand more of room treatment.
k3nnyt4n
Poster

Re: Effect of various object on room treatment

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am

Don't forget that absorbers can be put above you on the ceiling and behind. Ideally you want to treat the mirror points, but if it isn't possible, you can still treat the room as best you can.

For the window, you could create a "plug" which is removable when you don't need it.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster