You are here

Using Deoxit to clean keyboard contacts on Roland SH09

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Using Deoxit to clean keyboard contacts on Roland SH09

Postby extraborg » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:12 pm

I have bought some deoxit d5 to clean the keyboard contacts on my Roland SH09 but does anybody know where the keyboard contacts are and how are get to them. Is it simply a matter of taking the top panel and spraying just above the keys (where the springs are) are do I need to disassemble it further? Thanks.
extraborg
Poster

Re: Using Deoxit to clean keyboard contacts on Roland SH09

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:31 am

http://www.synthesizerarchiv.de/circuits/roland/sh09/sh09.pdf

This might provide some help. I can't help you on how to best dismantle it or how to clean the contacts effectively, just go slowly, photograph each part of the disassembly and make sure you take note of what screw goes where! Using an earbud/q-tip with some de-oxit sprayed onto it is probably the best way to go and use a gently wiping motion.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm

I cleaned my SH-09 last year - dismantled the whole thing, washed the panels, all the keys, cleaned the sliders and PCBs, replaced the rivets and generally made sure it worked properly when it all went back together. Looked good as new, as much as it could do after 30+ years. Anyway. The keybed is fixed to the base by four screws, but you might have trouble if you only undo those. The top panel unscrews from the top of the end cheeks and the rear of the base, and the bender panel also unscrews from the base and front lip. Undo as little as you have to while not risking damage. Those end cheeks are only plastic, and the posts that hold them screwed on are not amazingly sturdy. There's some flex in that base once it's free, and you don't want to snap anything.

Once you have the keybed out as a unit, you can remove each key (working from the end) by carefully pushing the rear end down to disengage it from the bar that holds them down - make sure you don't lose the springs, and make sure you don't snap the plastic that holds the bushing on each key. Once the keys are off you can give the lot a good scrub, and get all that gunk out from under them, and you also have easier access to the contacts.

Good luck! It's not hard, but does take care and patience.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby extraborg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks both of you. Here is what happened.

With fear and trembling I began to dismantle my SH-09, behinning with the top panel, then sides, then they keyboard/modulation block. Everything went smoothly except I managed to snap one of the plastic pillars on one of the side cheeks (although I think I'll be able to superglue this).

Then I was able to lift up the keyboard and spray the contacts with deoxit from the underside (without having to take off the springs). I'm amazed at the effort it must have taken to build
this old synth).

I then left it to dry to ten minutes or so and reassembled it. By the time I'd finished I was pleased to find I only had two washers left over (not bad for me). I switched it on. Lights! Sound! And no sticking keys! Triffic! Again, thanks so much!
extraborg
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Glad you're sorted extraborg, and thanks for the DeOxit feedback

I've recommended it often enough that it's always reassuring when someone reports back that it's succeeded once again

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby extraborg » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Martin, totally sorted thanks. The DeOxit worked a treat on a crackly volume pot too. I'm resisting the temptation to spray it on everything. One thing I would like to say is how helpful I found the SOS forum and the forum members who took the trouble to reply with what turned out to be totally sound, accurate advice - saved me from sending the synth off to be fixed and trusting it to the UK postal service. As I said, I now have a functioning synth and can get back to having fun with it. Again, thanks to everyone, including the SOS forum for being there.
extraborg
Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 pm

No problem. If there's something I've learnt from twenty years of fixing up my own gear, it's that it's worth having a go if you take it slowly, are methodical, careful, prepared to research and learn, and know when to back off and get somebody else to do the job instead of making it worse yourself.

I've only broken one thing so far and that was because I stupidly tried to fix my CS-15 on the bed instead of a table. Note to self - it really doesn't save time.

Bedding's still got a hole the shape of a soldering iron to remind me.

nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby minortron » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:12 pm

This website is really useful if you are opening an sh-09 for the first time

http://fixingelectronics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/sh-09-disass...

It tells you exactly which screws need to be removed in order to open it up without also unnecessarily removing the circuit boards from the the body. In addition to these there are a further 4 large screws holding the keybed to the base and 2 smaller screws holding the mod wheel in place. Once you have removed these you can lift up the whole keybed to get to the contacts.

I used Maplins contact cleaner instead of deoxit. It was was only £4 for a large can and did an excellent job. It was my first time cleaning synth contacts but it was pretty straightforward and went well thanks to this forum and the other blog linked above.

Hope this will help someone else.
minortron