You are here

Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer

Postby MonkeySpank » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi all

My active subwoofer speaker is blown (I presume - it makes a really loud clacking noise during deep rumble). So I need a replacement. The old speaker is rated 150 Watts @ 4 Ohms and is the original from the manufacturer.

I need to source a replacement, but this time I want one that can sustain the abuse that killed the original speaker in the first place (the battle scene at the end of Pirates Of The Caribbean III as it happens). I listen to my movies pretty loud.

So I need suggestions please!

The original is a 5.5" (14cm) cone in a 6.75" (17cm) basket. Printed on the magnet is "Eastech FSB52A565-6400 4 Ohm 150 Watt".

TIA.
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Re: Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Eastech is a Chinese/Taiwanese company. 5.5 inches is pretty small for a subwoofer, especially one that has to cope with full level explostions all the time. If you like to listen to your films loud I'm not surprised you've killed it. Not sure you'll find anything much more robust at that size either.

Most decent home theatre amplifiers/controllers have an adjustable limiter in the bass management system to control the maximum subwoofer cone excursion. Would be a good thing to switch on!

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MonkeySpank » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Eastech is a Chinese/Taiwanese company. 5.5 inches is pretty small for a subwoofer, especially one that has to cope with full level explostions all the time. If you like to listen to your films loud I'm not surprised you've killed it. Not sure you'll find anything much more robust at that size either.

Most decent home theatre amplifiers/controllers have an adjustable limiter in the bass management system to control the maximum subwoofer cone excursion. Would be a good thing to switch on!

hugh

It is an old-ish Philips 6.1 system with wireless rear speakers.

The tech specs on that eBay page say 6.5" woofer (which it is, screw-hole to screw-hole...I always thought you measured speakers from the outsides of the rubber surround).

The whole system sounds bloody amazing to be honest, and looks great too. It has no woofer protection options, just a few EQ curves and a Bass & Treble control. All the amplifier and wi-fi circuitry is contained in the subwoofer enclosure.

Where do people buy replacement speakers? And how can I tell a good one from a bad one?
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm

MonkeySpank wrote:The tech specs on that eBay page say 6.5" woofer.

Still not very big for something that you're expecting to generate 90dB SPLs!

Where do people buy replacement speakers?

Wimslow Audio have a very good range and are pretty helpful. You could also try Electromarket

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MonkeySpank » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks Hugh. I'll start searching. I didn't realise a 6.5" 150 W driver would be a rare thing.
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby MonkeySpank » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Is it okay to replace a 4 Ohm driver with an 8 Ohm? Would that result in a drop in subwoofer volume?
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby DonBelfastDJs » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:21 pm

If you ever look at an Amp's maximum power output - that's at 4 Ohms, which are more expensive speakers generally.

So a 600 Watt Amp, gives 400 at 8 Ohms, but 600 at 4 Ohms (total).

Then there's the power being drawn - bigger resistance means more current drawn, which could cause the amplifier to over-heat if it's not designed for it, which could cause damage and failure.

Best stick to what it's designed for.

What about car audio retailers? Components there might be cheaper? Not certain of quality, but if it's designed for boy racers in mobile discos it should be robust
DonBelfastDJs
Poster

Postby MonkeySpank » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:45 pm

DonBelfastDJs wrote:What about car audio retailers? Components there might be cheaper? Not certain of quality, but if it's designed for boy racers in mobile discos it should be robust

That's what I'm starting to think: those car speakers are rated for high wattage and are mostly 4 Ohm.

Also: are you from Belfast? It's kinda cool you only joined SOS forum today and your first post was a reply to me
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby DonBelfastDJs » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Aye, living in Belfast - didn't notice that you were til you pointed it out.

Mad coincidence
DonBelfastDJs
Poster

Postby DonBelfastDJs » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Well, did you take a trip to halfords?
DonBelfastDJs
Poster