You are here

SOS_studio

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

SOS_studio

Postby babaorum » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 am

Hello,

In my little home-studio I have difficulties to mix the basses. I know that 's because I have a wrong acoustic in my room.
Shelves ... Angles ... and to add another bonus : in the mirror of this plan I have a wall of pictures drawed by my children to make a perfect mirror !!!

I thought maybe add a Foarm above the Shelves, what do you thing about it ?

Thanks for help,

Best regards from Toulouse (France)
baba
babaorum
Poster

Re: SOS_studio

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:46 am

Avoid foam and get Rockwool or whatever similar mineral wool is available in France.

Your set up at the moment appears to be in a corner. Trying to get away from that may help. This article should give you some pointers.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec10/a ... s-1210.htm

I suspect though that based on the picture, you are in a small room with little space for trapping low bass, so the best way forward would be to get some good headphones to compare your mixes on. Try to treat the room as best you can, but bass trapping requires space which you may not have. There are various guides on the net on how to build a bass trap, including a sticky thread in this forum.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby babaorum » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:08 pm

I know these articles I like it very much each month !

At your opinion If I use Basstrap (which are very big things) I have to put it at the top towards the corner of the ceiling ?
Behind the monitors I don't have many places ...

And Do you think that IK Multimedia ARC2 could improve the situation ?

Unlucky, I can't move the desk to get away from the corner ...

Because this is not a dedicated room to music I have only this corner and under the windows (my keyboard).
babaorum
Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Experts...I thinking out loud (or as I type!!)

Is there any mileage in having your monitors across the corner i.e. one on each wall so you are sitting at 45° to the room, looking into the corner?

I thought it might give you a longer dimension to keep your head out of the center of the room and might be a more useful compromise for those (like me) stuck with a non dedicated small room. Would you need to do something different doing the reflection test for absorbers, or would sliding mirrors still be valid... I s'pose it would. Would it be a good thing or a bad thing if the reflections were coming from the opposite corner behind you instead of a flat wall.

Your thoughts please!

Cheers
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 pm

It is recommended that you treat the corners and the ceiling corner is included in that. Actually getting it up there and supported is another problem!

You could perhaps try the Superchunk method

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535 which take up less space.

I'm no expert in this though, someone more knowledgable should hopefully be along soon.

I think giving some consideration to a good pair of headphones may be something to think about.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby sheggs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:34 am

The advantage of being in the corner is that it would create symetry for your monitor placement. Currently one is up against a wall the other is in open space.
We always recommend settin gup against the short wall if possible. This video about positioning the listneing spot should help -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4AfCFlZ-M
sheggs
Regular

David Shevyn General Manager GIK Acoustics Europe
www.gikacoustics.co.uk

Postby babaorum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:41 am

Moroccomoose wrote:Experts...I thinking out loud (or as I type!!)

Is there any mileage in having your monitors across the corner i.e. one on each wall so you are sitting at 45° to the room, looking into the corner?
I can't because there is a windows ...

Would it be a good thing or a bad thing if the reflections were coming from the opposite corner behind you instead of a flat wall.

I don't know which is the part that play reflections in my bad listen to basses, is it what do you ask ?
babaorum
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:47 am

Can you show us a simple plan of the shape and size of the room including doors, windows, heating and so on?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby jaminem » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:07 am

babaorum wrote:Hello,

In my little home-studio I have difficulties to mix the basses. I know that 's because I have a wrong acoustic in my room.
Shelves ... Angles ... and to add another bonus : in the mirror of this plan I have a wall of pictures drawed by my children to make a perfect mirror !!!

I thought maybe add a Foarm above the Shelves, what do you thing about it ?

Thanks for help,

Best regards from Toulouse (France)
baba

Hi this is no sliver bullet but it may help, it did in my room!

looking at the picture above, move that intray and all the clutter off the desk to the right hand side, then move the mixing desk and the MPC to the space you just made next to your keyboard.
Now slide your 2 monitor screens left so they are next to the left monitor speaker. then move the right monitor speaker to the left and out of the corner.

Your monitoring position should now be more central in the room, which hopefully should help your stereo balance. its probably the best you can do in that space. I'd put that foam on the mirror points of the walls either side of you if you can, its not doing anything sat behind those speakers!

Now from your normal seating position and with the monitors both pointing at your head, play back some music with a lot of bass in it, and try moving the monitor speakers back and forward. hopefully you may be able to find a position for them that means the bass is a bit more even.

What you're listening for is the bass that's there but isn't boomy on some notes and non-existent on others. No guarantee of success here but you may get something better than you have now.

Its worth a go, and its free!

Finally as has been stated above - headphones are your friend in a room like that, I have several different pairs that I use a lot in my room for checking my mixes..

Good luck
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby babaorum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 am

Here :
size : 4.90meters x 3.45meters
babaorum
Poster

Postby babaorum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:45 am

Hi this is no sliver bullet but it may help, it did in my room!

looking at the picture above, move that intray and all the clutter off the desk to the right hand side, then move the mixing desk and the MPC to the space you just made next to your keyboard.
Now slide your 2 monitor screens left so they are next to the left monitor speaker. then move the right monitor speaker to the left and out of the corner.

Your monitoring position should now be more central in the room, which hopefully should help your stereo balance. its probably the best you can do in that space. I'd put that foam on the mirror points of the walls either side of you if you can, its not doing anything sat behind those speakers!

Now from your normal seating position and with the monitors both pointing at your head, play back some music with a lot of bass in it, and try moving the monitor speakers back and forward. hopefully you may be able to find a position for them that means the bass is a bit more even.

What you're listening for is the bass that's there but isn't boomy on some notes and non-existent on others. No guarantee of success here but you may get something better than you have now.

Its worth a go, and its free!

Finally as has been stated above - headphones are your friend in a room like that, I have several different pairs that I use a lot in my room for checking my mixes..

Good luck

There are good ideas in your post ! thanks ;)
babaorum
Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 am

As suggetsed by jaminem
:)

Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby sheggs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:38 am

Did you get a chance to watch the video?

Is there no way you can put your desk where the dresser is? the video explains the advantages of shooting down the length of a room or placing against the short wall
sheggs
Regular

David Shevyn General Manager GIK Acoustics Europe
www.gikacoustics.co.uk

Postby jaminem » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:As suggetsed by jaminem

I'd move the mixer against the wall on the right hand side, you don;t really want it infront of the speaker.
When you do it for real (you photoshopped this one as a test right?)let us know how it sounds?
Has it tightened anything up?

The proper acoustics guys on here are right though, if you can get the monitors firing down the length of the room it would be better bass wise.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:50 am

jaminem wrote:
Jumpeyspyder wrote:As suggetsed by jaminem

I'd move the mixer against the wall on the right hand side, you don;t really want it infront of the speaker.
When you do it for real (you photoshopped this one as a test right?)let us know how it sounds?
Has it tightened anything up?

The proper acoustics guys on here are right though, if you can get the monitors firing down the length of the room it would be better bass wise.

derr, sorry, didn't realise that Jumpeyspider had done the photo shopping bit.

But yes, that's what I was getting at if you really can't re-configure the room and have the speakers firing lengthways!

You couldn't move those tiles though could you jumps...? 8-)
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby babaorum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:28 am

I can't move to the dressing because cupboard on left of desk is a big affair ...

I can't move to the shortest wall because there is the window.

I could try your photoshop adjustement ! yeahh it's a really good idea I think.

In fact the mackie 1402VLZ is here only for patching work not to mixing (I mix in the box but yesterday I just receive that and that will be in front of the PC's keyboard :

Thank you very much for your improvements ideas
babaorum
Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am

jaminem wrote:

a/ Moved the tile on right side to mirror point,
b/ stuck the left tile to the side of the grey cabinet .

Ideally the both tiles should probably be placed (higher) at the mirror point to the tweeters but it was harder to make it clear in photoshop.

Hope this helps :)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:06 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:
jaminem wrote:

a/ Moved the tile on right side to mirror point,
b/ stuck the left tile to the side of the grey cabinet .

Ideally the both tiles should probably be placed (higher) at the mirror point to the tweeters but it was harder to make it clear in photoshop.

Hope this helps :)

Nice! :)
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby babaorum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Cool ! Thanks for all informations !
babaorum
Poster

Postby babaorum » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:24 am

I try to sell my mackie 1402VLZ (if a purchaser see that ... send me a PM)
As soon as it done I'll modify the position of the monitors.
I'll try to find a very good headphones to compensate the low acoustic of my room
I have Sony MDR7506 nice and good but lack of bass into it.
babaorum
Poster

Postby GIK Acoustics » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 am

I agree with Sheggs, you should face the window and be pointing the lengthwise down the room. It would be best for symmetry and usually works out the best in most rooms we've tested. Is there any reason you can't do that?
GIK Acoustics
Regular

Postby babaorum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 am

Yes I want to be able to open the windows :D
babaorum
Poster

Postby tacitus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:35 pm

If you have the desk even a few centimetres away from the window you'll be able to open it. Get the desk there and everything else will more or less fall into place.

I had my desk in front of the window in our previous home and I was never unable to open the window, even though it is a large desk and it was right up against the radiator below the window. In our current home the room I have is more nearly square and since the window now faces South as opposed to West, I prefer the desk against a different wall.

If you have a Roman blind on the window you can have the strings going almost anywhere, so access for controlling light and privacy is not compromised.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby babaorum » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:47 am

Was it a windows like that ?
fenetre double battant
Mine is like that I can't to have 2 screens in front of.
babaorum
Poster

Postby tacitus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:27 am

Ah, I see exactly where you are, now! I was thinking access was the problem, but obviously if the window opens inwards it has to go somewhere. I take it you want to be able to open the window quite a way? I can't remember when I last saw a window like that in the UK.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby babaorum » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:46 pm

;)I'm in france
babaorum
Poster

Postby Kaw-Liga » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:37 am

babaorum wrote:Yes I want to be able to open the windows :D

You could leave the screens where they are and place the speakers to make the most out of them, going back and forth between the screen and the listening position.
Kaw-Liga
Regular

Postby babaorum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Today I just sold my old mackie 1402 VLZ and resized my desk like you indicated to me.

I don't know if it will improve, next step is to test my new position.
thanks,
babaorum
Poster

Postby babaorum » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 am

Clearly it's much better like that !
So Thank you all to gave me these improvements !
babaorum
Poster