You are here

Simple way to put keyboard and mouse on synth?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Simple way to put keyboard and mouse on synth?

Postby Cubed » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Basically my studio furniture desk isn't deep enough to have my PC keyboard & mouse + synthesizer + PC screen on the same surface. I must have my synth in front of my screen as it is the most comfortable way of working, but I am left with nowhere to put my PC keyboard and mouse.

I want to somehow put my PC keyboard and mouse on top of my synth. Is there any kind of 'stand' or pads available that will let me rest my keyboard and mouse on top of the synth's knobs and buttons.

I know this is a wierd request but the only other option is to buy a thinner synth! lol
Cubed
New here

Re: Simple way to put keyboard and mouse on synth?

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:57 pm

What about this:

web page

Save you from breaking your keboard knobs

Moose
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Cubed » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion - I have thought about this but there is simply no space to have a pull-out drawer like that. It will mean that I have to sit further back from the desk which I can't due to the narrow room size. This is the reason I cannot have a deeper desk either.

I was thinking about getting a thinner synth. Mine is about 40cm deep.

Maybe I'll stick some bubble wrap on top of the synth buttons/knobs and make a flat surface out of that.
Cubed
New here

Postby Switters » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 pm

My old Novation Remote 61 have plenty of space to put keyboard or a mouse. Also you can find it second hand in a bargain!
Switters
People want to go to heaven without die...

Postby OneWorld » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:41 pm

This is where I am hoping touch-screen will come into its own? I can envisage a quite large monitor, lay flat or at an angle, with all the mixer controls and qwerty keyboard layout, and maybe another monitor set at the usual angle with the DAW software
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 pm

I use one of These

Works quite nice placing my laptop over the top of my Novation X-Station but would work just as well with a keyboard and mouse

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Also, if you find a solution that is limited for mouse-space, I recommend trying a trackball instead. Might take a little getting used to at first, but I find them much better than roving mice by a long shot.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:49 pm

I have two desks for this. The higher one has the keyboard, synths, mixer etc on it and below that I have a lower desk with the keyboard and mouse.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkOne » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Surely a bit of plywood and some lengths of 2x2 and an hour with a saw and some screws would see a quite serviceable desk riser for the midi keyboard leaving space for the comp keyboard and mouse below.

A couple of hours and you could finish the edges nicely with beading, and a day would see it varnished and everything.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:49 pm

MarkOne wrote:Surely a bit of plywood and some lengths of 2x2 and an hour with a saw and some screws would see a quite serviceable desk riser for the midi keyboard leaving space for the comp keyboard and mouse below.

A couple of hours and you could finish the edges nicely with beading, and a day would see it varnished and everything.

When I was pushed for desk space I used 2 shortened chrome sleeve ironing boards & replaced the tops with some MDF the appox size of the keyboard. 5 minute fix with a hacksaw for under £20. Looked pretty cool too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Minky-Sleeve-Board-Ironing-Board-Collars-Cuffs-/160373687221?pt=UK_Ironing_Boards_Covers&hash=item25570443b5

They make good cheap risers for nearfield monitors too

DM
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

And of course there must be something wrong. In wanting to silence any song.

Postby Cubed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Very cool suggestions. I have managed to find a solution... instead of moving the PC keyboard and mouse why not instead move the monitor over and above the synth using this!

Cubed
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Ah. I've got one like that, and it's a godsend - not for raising the screen over a synth (although it does that as well), but to move my monitor between close position for detailed sound/waveform editing and word processing, and back between my monitor speakers when I need the best stereo image

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode