You are here

DIY Acoustic Panels

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

DIY Acoustic Panels

Postby ConorC39 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm looking at building some broadband absorbers and was wondering what material to use to cover the panels. I'm planning on using the usual rockwool panels inside a wooden frame but have no idea what to cover it with.
Any help would be great,
thanks,
Conor
ConorC39
Poster

Re: DIY Acoustic Panels

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:04 pm

If you want to be posh, the professionals use a fabric called cara -- you'll find suppliers if you google it. However, any breathable fabric will do. We've used cheap anti weed cloth from a garden centre to great effect!
H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby AndyN » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 pm

My panels are covered in B and Q dust sheets (Material, not polythene). Just remember to iron them first as they look rubbish with creases down the middle! I think they cost about £12.00 but they are huge. Any off cuts can be used as dust sheets - how novel!
Andy
AndyN
Regular

Postby Gary_W » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 pm

My 'studio' is actually a study shared by my wife and I. My end has oodles of treatment and it works very well.

As it was a shared room, I did the decent thing and went to Dunelm with her. I cared if the fabric was breathable, she cared what it looked like. Both very happy with the results! As they also sell the meaty staple gun and the meaty staples required, it's a good place to visit
Gary_W
Regular

Postby ConorC39 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks a lot I'll be getting on with them as soon as my rockwool arrives this week.
ConorC39
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:26 am

If you want the proper Cara fabric do a search for Sound proofing expert on Ebay - they're by far the cheapest source that I've found.

For dust sheets I would highly recommend Screwfix - especially if you get the guy that I did who doesn't know the difference between one sheet and a bale of sheets!

I would add that it is much easier to get a good looking result with Cara fabric than it is with dust sheets. Cara is slightly stretchy which makes it easy to remove creases and end up with a smooth finish.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am

James Perrett wrote:especially if you get the guy that I did who doesn't know the difference between one sheet and a bale of sheets!
James.

I had a similar experience in a French supermarket while buying some cases of very nice wine. Unfortunately I didn't realise until I was half way to Calais, shame.

Apologies for going off topic, just sharing the love.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby sheggs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:02 am

You should be able to get it for about £7.50 per linear metre. (The rolls are 1.7 metres long)
For a standardish size panel this would be about 1 linear metre per panel
sheggs
Regular

David Shevyn General Manager GIK Acoustics Europe
www.gikacoustics.co.uk

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:15 pm

I got some cheap poly cotton from Fabric World. Check out their website just for the lols/eye damage.

Obviously poly cotton isn't fire retardent, whereas Cara fabric is.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Don't forget to check out your local indoor market if there is one. I see they get in ends of roll of hession type fabrics which are open weave and quite spouse friendly.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby GIK Acoustics » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 pm

ConorC39 wrote:I'm looking at building some broadband absorbers and was wondering what material to use to cover the panels. I'm planning on using the usual rockwool panels inside a wooden frame but have no idea what to cover it with.
Any help would be great,
thanks,
Conor

A lot of people have recommended the Cara fabric, which is fantastic, however the Cara fabric isn't available in the US. What is your location? If you are in the US, the comparable fabric is Guilford of Maine FR701. There are 48 colors available and they look great. They are fire-retardant and acoustically transparent.
GIK Acoustics
Regular