You are here

Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside)

Postby JamesNewmarch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:13 pm

So basically, through my mums work i can get hold of however much Acoustic Insulation i need for pretty much nothing.

I was wondering how many acoustic panels i will need to make and where i need to put them roughly in my room. I will be using 5.25in monitors in the position stated below. its a weird shaped room, with a window directly behind the speakers, which might not be great :/

Will probably be following this...
Youtube Link

What size panels should i make (depth, height, width)
Where should i mount them.
What corner traps are needed and where.

Would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks!
JamesNewmarch

Re: Acoustic Treatment Help Needed - Placement and Size (Room Details inside)

Postby zenguitar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 am

I'll move this thread to the DIY forum which also includes Studio Design and Acoustics. You'll get far more informed eyeballs there.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:34 am

From an acoustics point of view I would be tempted to turn things around a bit so that the speakers are on the diagonal wall. This will mean that none of the other walls are reflecting sound straight back to the listening position and this is also the closest to a symmetrical arrangement that you can get in that room.

If you can't do that, I would at least move the desk as far away from the corner as possible.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby JamesNewmarch » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 pm

James Perrett wrote:From an acoustics point of view I would be tempted to turn things around a bit so that the speakers are on the diagonal wall. This will mean that none of the other walls are reflecting sound straight back to the listening position and this is also the closest to a symmetrical arrangement that you can get in that room.

If you can't do that, I would at least move the desk as far away from the corner as possible.

James.

So whack the desk on the diagonal wall? Where would you recommend putting some panels if i were to keep the desk in the space or is it the window causing the problems.
JamesNewmarch

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 am

JamesNewmarch wrote:

I was wondering how many acoustic panels i will need to make and where i need to put them roughly in my room. I will be using 5.25in monitors in the position stated below. its a weird shaped room, with a window directly behind the speakers, which might not be great :/

Youtube Link

It is going to be a compromise because you are using the room as a bedroom as well and I would agree with James that having a speaker right in the corner is not good...

Ideally you would get everything out of the room and find the optimum position for the speakers, and then arrange teh kit and furniture around that.

The basic principle is to keep adding Rockwool traps until the acoustic problems go away...

Have you considered mounting traps on the ceiling/wall corners?

It looks quite full in there so that may be your only option....
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:27 pm

JamesNewmarch wrote:
So whack the desk on the diagonal wall? Where would you recommend putting some panels if i were to keep the desk in the space or is it the window causing the problems.

The main problem is that your left ear is close to the storage while your right ear is in relatively free space. Reflections from the storage is going to be the biggest problem.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby GIK Acoustics » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 am

thefruitfarmer wrote:
JamesNewmarch wrote:

Youtube Link

It is going to be a compromise because you are using the room as a bedroom as well and I would agree with James that having a speaker right in the corner is not good...

Ideally you would get everything out of the room and find the optimum position for the speakers, and then arrange teh kit and furniture around that.

The basic principle is to keep adding Rockwool traps until the acoustic problems go away...

Have you considered mounting traps on the ceiling/wall corners?

It looks quite full in there so that may be your only option....

Very good points above! This would be my solution as well. Let us know when you've found optimal position, and we can comment on treatment from there.
GIK Acoustics
Regular