You are here

really exciting question about plasterboard

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

really exciting question about plasterboard

Postby KuRu » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:42 pm

hi guys, hoping you can help, ive been reading the studio sos article about building a vocal booth, im onto all the 'ingredients' for the large bass trap that gets built im talking more about the construction of the actual room to put that in. ive read about layers of plasterboard being the way forwards with a stud wall kind of setup for the frame, basically i want a vocal booth in my bands rehearsal room so i can record relatively clean vocals without drums and guitars all over the vocals, i realise im not going to get completely separate bleed free vocals. anyway the question is ive seen the standard plasterboard as well as some with the polystyrene on about 2cm thick is this worth the extra money or is the difference negligible. thanks in advance for any advice!
KuRu
Poster

Re: really exciting question about plasterboard

Postby GIK Acoustics » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:41 am

The standard drywall will be fine. If you wish for slightly better isolation, just buy thicker drywall. More worth the money and the effort.
GIK Acoustics
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:15 pm

The polystyrene will have no effect on acoustic isolation.

Gyproc's recommended configuration for acoustic isolation is to use a layer of 19mm plasterboard next to the studs and a second layer of 12mm acoustic plasterboard over that. Keep the joins between boards staggered between layers. If you want to go even better you can add another layer of 15mm acoustic plasterboard. On my recent studio build I also used Green Glue between layers while on the previous build we had a layer of fibreboard (known as a Camden Partition).

Your local builder's merchant may well offer better deals on plasterboard than the big DIY places.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby KuRu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:30 pm

excellent thx for the advice guys!!
KuRu
Poster